I made a noise video.

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

end Goat

I made a noise video.

Post by end Goat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Hello all! Long time lurker, finally posting something that felt worthwhile to the conversation.

I value your considered opinions and thoughtful critique.
Last edited by end Goat on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jliat

Re: I made a noise video.

Post by jliat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:08 am

Firstly on a very trivial point to embed a Youtube video, press the youtube button on the right of bandcamp, soundcloud buttons, gives you this

[youtube][/youtube]

Place the youtube reference between the tags...

{youtube]JarWXZtOA8A[/youtube}

Use preview to check it has worked. (above I've changed the square bracket to curly so you can see what you should see...

The above is now the embedded video.

Otherwise maybe you wanted the link to appear as it does which brings me to other thoughts. Your video is quite dark, normal for live noise, in a barn? and you or an 'actor' is dressed in bow tie and drinking. Raising your hand starts the static noise, a cat walks across the screen, and stuff starts to fall which is hay. All of this lends a kind of 'performance' narrative to the work of a certain avant garde 'fluxus' theme. I'm thinking of La Monte young feeding hay to a piano, and other such fluxus type happenings. These have also continued in noise. Notably here xdugef who puts on 'extreme' performances... this goes with the fluxus / Dadaist critique and an anti-establishment, anti-intellectual ideology, and your hay falling narrative bow tie thing seems to hint at that kind of thing.
A critique of taking art or noise or HNW seriously. Which is fine, but for my part in attempting such it poses itself outside the genre, and in the case of HNW misses its target, because taken seriously HNW has nothing to critique. It therefore IMO merely attempts a humorous piss take of nothing, or as xdugef AKA Adrian Diamond, AKA cleverbot of anyone arguing seriously about the nullity of HNW or Noise. As you will see the automated responses to my posts Adrian now has set up to people who have in ways challenged his views*. Therefore behind the whimsical nature of such performances, his and yours (I think) is a very authoritarian critique via attempted humour at those who for instance think being is a tragic and pointless enterprise. I'm also reminded of the satire of the Weimar Republic in the 1920s. I would like to talk more about this but suspect the cleverbot will make this difficult. But the danger of such making fun of, ultimately is self destructive. That is if your video is a serious attempt at artistic entertainment it fails as HNW, if its a critique of HNW as entertainment it also fails, HNW is not entertaining in any positive way, and if it is to some, more fool them. And of course there is nothing wrong with being the fool. However if you think that, you legitimate the very fools the work sets out to critique. Who is the bigger fool, Trump, or xdugef attempting to make Trump appear a fool. Which gets back to your video and performance, and the purpose of its narrative, and the lack of any narrative in HNW.

*he might now have stopped this???

Also you might be confused @ Clemon's responses and his interplay with Adrian's cleverbot. Clemon has mental illness problems, whether or not these relate to his reply you I suppose can decide.
Last edited by jliat on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/jliat/sets/jliat ... variations
https://soundcloud.com/jliat/sets/jliat ... tions-from
"The most irrational thing to do is to make something worthless, with no political emotional or entertaining purpose."

clemonz

Post by clemonz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:40 am

I'm thinking of La Monte young feeding hay to a piano, and other such fluxus type happenings. These have also continued in noise
yesterday, i saw a "hipster" (didn't strike me like they used to at all, no appeal) walk up to the support act, and grab, or move to grab, the man's testicles from behind.

> we're moving.

later, he was walking down the street with a 10 foot whip, whipping the floor. it reminded me of the joke about happenings in the simpsons (freaking out "the squares man")

way to go you risked sexually assaulting your friend in public, at best :salute:
:shrug:

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:42 am

clemonz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:40 am
I'm thinking of La Monte young feeding hay to a piano, and other such fluxus type happenings. These have also continued in noise
yesterday, i saw a "hipster" (didn't strike me like they used to at all, no appeal) walk up to the support act, and grab, or move to grab, the man's testicles from behind.

> we're moving.

later, he was walking down the street with a 10 foot whip, whipping the floor. it reminded me of the joke about happenings in the simpsons (freaking out "the squares man")

https://www.cleverbot.com/

Verter zol men vegn un nit tseyln.

clemonz

Post by clemonz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:47 am

completely unannounced i mean. probably just creepy...

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:49 am

clemonz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:47 am
completely unannounced i mean. probably just creepy...

clemonz

Post by clemonz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 am

he was no charlie chaplin, anyway

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:13 am

clemonz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 am
he was no charlie chaplin, anyway

end Goat

Post by end Goat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:27 am

@jliat Thank you for your assistance with embedding the video and especially for taking the time to share your thoughtful insights and interpretation! You have given me much to consider and you hint at further thoughts?

It seems to me that much about our creative lives can be complex, even in ostensible simplicity.

Thanks for the welcome!

clemonz

Post by clemonz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:05 am

end Goat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:27 am
@jliat Thank you for your assistance with embedding the video and especially for taking the time to share your thoughtful insights and interpretation! You have given me much to consider and you hint at further thoughts?

It seems to me that much about our creative lives can be complex, even in ostensible simplicity.

Thanks for the welcome!
a parody of a parody of a parody, or ?

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:09 am

clemonz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:05 am
end Goat wrote:

Thanks for the welcome!
a parody of a parody of a parody, or ?

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:40 am

end Goat wrote:

Thanks for the welcome!

“Besides what he has put into his work with manifest intention, the artist seems instinctively, as it were, to have depicted therin an infinity, which no finite understanding is capable of developing to the full.” F.W.J. Shelling.
https://soundcloud.com/jliat/sets/jliat ... variations
https://soundcloud.com/jliat/sets/jliat ... tions-from
"The most irrational thing to do is to make something worthless, with no political emotional or entertaining purpose."

clemonz

Post by clemonz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 am

jliat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:40 am
end Goat wrote:

Thanks for the welcome!

“Besides what he has put into his work with manifest intention, the artist seems instinctively, as it were, to have depicted therin an infinity, which no finite understanding is capable of developing to the full.” F.W.J. Shelling.
YES.

but i really hate noise as physical

clemonz

Post by clemonz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:22 am

like i tried to email you, jliat
reality is meaningless (noise1)
if we "don't compose" (noise2) then what we make is not under our control, so is independent of us, real, so meaningless (noise1)
i like this, though it may come as a surprise that my definition (noise2) would be the less catholic, the more conservative

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am

clemonz wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:22 am
like i tried to email you, jliat
reality is meaningless (noise1)
if we "don't compose" (noise2) then what we make is not under our control, so is independent of us, real, so meaningless (noise1)
i like this, though it may come as a surprise that my definition (noise2) would be the less catholic, the more conservative