noise on a budget

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

zowozon

noise on a budget

Post by zowozon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 pm

lets say ive got 200$ to spend on noise gear
(btw im new here)
what would you guys recommend spending that money on?

¼ dead

Re: noise on a budget

Post by ¼ dead » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Are you on a personal computer? If you don't own one, buy one of those. Pirate everything. A lot of software is free, even.
Download Audacity and use the "Import Raw" function to import non-audio files as RAW audio data. FREE NOISE.

Here's something I just crapped out in literally ~2 minutes (minus upload time) using free software (Audacity, GranuLab):
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1PrNXhuCtMb
Even the upload service was free.

zowozon

Post by zowozon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm

¼ dead wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:11 pm
Are you on a personal computer? If you don't own one, buy one of those. Pirate everything. A lot of software is free, even.
Download Audacity and use the "Import Raw" function to import non-audio files as RAW audio data. FREE NOISE.

Here's something I just crapped out in literally ~2 minutes (minus upload time) using free software (Audacity, GranuLab):
i was thinking more along the lines of pedals and stuff like that

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Well, duh. I am trying to get you to think outside of that particular rock and roll box. Believe me, I love gear. I have more than too much, and still not enough. But I am trying to help you as a budget-minded beginner. I am trying to SAVE YOU MONEY! I'm trying to say, if you don't have loads of money, think about how you can work around relying on gear exclusively to accomplish something as uncomplicated as "noise".

Ask yourself: "What attracted me to this?" Was it the joy in experiencing the unusual effects of malfunction? Decay? Entropy? "Discombobulation"? Do you want to make noise as an extension of wanting to experiment with/indulge in distillations of these, or because it's grimm and kvlt and "different"... "arty"? I think software works in either case if you're looking for good value for money without more specific criteria.

If you want pedals, there's lots from Behringer and Danelectro and Mooer and all the other MIC mini pedal manufacturers (who knew?). I think the second pedal I ever bought was a Danelectro FAB Metal. It served me well.

Beyond pedals--and I've said this before--get a soldering iron, solder, flux. Make your own contact mics (piezo elements are easy to come by, and even I can fumble my way through building a contact mic).

Look around you. The hardest part of "making noise" isn't producing it, it's "producing" (recording, mixing, editing) it. Finding a wonderful, squeaky plastic bottle or a piece of metal in your very own trash can (sorry, recycling bin) or on the side of the road is easy. It all makes noise. Record it any way you can if it sounds interesting to you. Computers make a lot of the hard work of just "capturing", "isolating", "distilling" the perfect noise that much simpler.

If you want a more gear-centric response, you should provide more gear-centric criteria regarding how Mr. Jimmy Masonna Page got this or that particular "tone".

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 pm

zowozon wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm
¼ dead wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:11 pm

i was thinking more along the lines of pedals and stuff like that
i'd go for the the distortion pedals
computers do most types of effects well enough
but even the best and most current hi gain distortion plugins sound worse than cheap pedals
so probably something with "metal" in its name + a fuzz pedal

for a 100% otb setup i'd consider cheapo multifx pedals
actually made full tracks using just two of those at some point (korg ax3b + zoom 707)

another neat thing to get is a contact mic
because then everything in your home becomes an extra noisemaking tool

maybe a xenyx 802 for preamp abuse & no input shenanigans

mix and match to taste :)

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm

exactly^
you can cut costs in all sorts of ways
especially if comprehend some basic electronics, reading schematics, & soldering skills
some multieffects pedals & laptop can get you started
learn how to make filtered white noise source
¼ dead is so right about the raw noise only being first step
you will need a computer & interface for recording anyways

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:49 pm

200 X $1 flea-market tape recorders / walkmans / tapes / LPs / noise-making kid's toys / cables / bits of scrap metal.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 am

zowozon wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:30 pm
lets say ive got 200$ to spend on noise gear
(btw im new here)
what would you guys recommend spending that money on?
An android tablet is cheap and there's plenty of free noise making apps.
check out craigslist for cheap multi-effects pedals & a cheap amp
A contact mic from Crank Sturgeon, he makes the best and they're not expensive.
https://www.cranksturgeon.com/PIEZOCRANK.html
viola, you're an artist

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:14 am

Truthfully, the generic noiseguy answer would be a behringer mixer (~$80-120), at least one distortion pedal, preferably a Death Metal but really most are simply slight variations of the same old idea (~$10-50+), a contact mic/drum trigger ($1-20), and cables. Add an amp for ~$5-100 extra.
DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in the past on this account may not accurately reflect my current beliefs, especially those prior to 2017.

clemonz

Post by clemonz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:22 am

if you don't want to make laptop noise, then a mic, contact mic, amp. mixer and multifx pedal will get you something.
To employ her construction ball Morning fed on the light blue wood of the mouth cannot understand feels deeply

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 am

clemonz wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:22 am
if you don't want to make laptop noise, then a mic, contact mic, amp. mixer and multifx pedal will get you something.

https://www.cleverbot.com/

Verter zol men vegn un nit tseyln.

zowozon

Post by zowozon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 pm

this realy helps thanks to all of you! :D

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:17 am

Warlock is spot on, If you don't have one, a cheapo shitty interface should be your first purchase. Then if you want to make loud farty noise sounds, just grab whatever gear you can from a buy and sell.

Then buy a soldering iron, a glue gun, and this link and this link. Solder the wires to the pokey out bit on the socket, then glue the socket to the white side of the disc with lots of hot glue and attach them to everything.

Juboo

Post by Juboo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 pm

when i was in my early phase all i have is a phone. I recorded random noise, upload on youtube, edited with youtube editor and then download the mp3. repeat and mix until you get something that you satisfied it.
I spent almost a year with no setup (except for my guitar and amp which i rarely used btw). Just recording random stuff and edit on audacity.
You can do a lot with that $200. Just don't spent it all on pedals. think outside the box. :chin:
insecure PRETENTIOUS FUK that made noise to hide from the fact that he can't play instrument.
https://sarjenpeppersillogicalnoiseclub ... dcamp.com/
https://wanpointtwomilligram.wordpress.com/