Cheapest, dirtiest, low-tech, most no-fi methods you used

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

MysteriousCreep

Re: Cheapest, dirtiest, low-tech, most no-fi methods you used

Post by MysteriousCreep » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:56 am

The cheapest method I used was free apps on my phone. Modsynth + Bandlab (I can record things into guitar tracks and put distortion on them? Sign me up!) + Voice Recorder covered all my early bases. I guess there are probably cheaper phones, but it's a hand-me-down from my Dad so it cost me nothing. The most lo-fi was a related device, a $10 tiny karaoke microphone discovered in a shop while on vacation. Plug it in and record anything with it and it was distorted to shit. Tragically, I lost it because of how small it was. It just disappeared one day.

ragz1138

Post by ragz1138 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Once used chimes built out of fence posting on a rack we built using scrap 4x4's. Each was mic'd with piezo contact mics which were then daisy chained together with 1/4 inch Y connectors down to a single cable. If memory serves there were 8 pieces of pipe to begin with. The other pieces used were an old HVAC housing, flywheels and some random effects pedals. this was circa 2001 and completely Neubauten influenced. Sadly no recording were ever made.

spiderbaby

Post by spiderbaby » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 pm

1. Feedback loops on a receiver I had gotten at a thrift store - I had the right cables and there were enough ins and outs to get some really good low subharmonic drones.

2. Cassette tape mangling - Pulling the physical tape from the cassette and putting kinks in it with a paperclip. Then dub a copy and keep track of what works and doesn't. Try putting a cassette on a radiator. You can make loops if you open up the cassette and are real careful with a razor and some scotch tape. I did my second noise album with just found cassette tapes and a tape deck. I think at one point I plugged a bass guitar directly into the cassette with some adapters and got some crazy results on the input voltage overdriving the whole thing.

3. Radio white noise onto cassette tape, cutup, redub.

4. Audacity is a free open source software. I've had good results cutting up and amplifying quiet field recordings to distorted levels by just overdriving the signal.