Americanized Welsh Rarebit

Share food & beverage recipes with your noise pals.
RasTheDestroyer

Americanized Welsh Rarebit

Post by RasTheDestroyer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Note (Aug. 4th): I'll be making this tmrw night, just posting this here for posterity

Welsh Rarebit (pronounced like rabbit, apparently) is an upgrade to normal cheese on toast: crusty bread topped with a savory beer cheese sauce that's broiled in an oven.

As much as I like foreign foods, I also like convenience too and as much as I love beer with food, I think its a waste pouring a single drop unless its in a batter..anyways:

Ingredients:
- 2 to 6 (pre-sliced) pieces of sourdough
- 2+ cups of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup of white cheddar or provolone
- 1 tbsp of yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Black Pepper
- Paprika
- Worcestershire Sauce

Directions:
1. Pre-heat your oven to a low-medium low temp (we're lightly toasting the bread first, ideally you'll want one side more toasted than the other, stack two pieces together to get an uneven browning)

2. Place your bread on a foil lined shallow pan and cook for 5-10 mins or until toasted

3. While that's being done, prepare your cheese mix - in a bowl, mix your cheeses together by hand, mix in the mustard and olive oil with a spoon until you get a semi-spreadable..spread, add in your pepper and paprika to taste then throughly mix in some more

4. Once your bread's ready, scoop and smooth down your spread onto your toast with a butter knife then let it sit for a bit while you preheat your oven to a medium-low broil (5 mins or so)

5. Pop your bread back in until your cheese spread is bubbling, take out and with your butterknife, cut a criss cross pattern on your toast and pour some worcestershire sauce on top and serve
Suge Knight of noise

Fletcher

Re: Americanized Welsh Rarebit

Post by Fletcher » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 am

Well now I am hungry.

How did it go?
www.snarerush.co.uk
100 paper copies / 32 black & white pages / electronic sounds of various strains

RasTheDestroyer

Re: Americanized Welsh Rarebit

Post by RasTheDestroyer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Fletcher wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 am
Well now I am hungry.

How did it go?
Like most of my recipes, burnt but OK, I was in sort of a rush and the nearest grocery didn't have sourdough so I bought pan suave instead (a Cuban style bread similar to challah)

Followed everything else to a t, but I recommend just making it like regular cheese on toast
Suge Knight of noise