COMPUTER / INTERNET HELP

"Don't post anything racist/misogynistic/pornographic, loli images, or any animated GIFs and you should be fine, haha!" The Raytownian

Moderator: xome

User avatar
Striations
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca
Contact:

COMPUTER / INTERNET HELP

Post by Striations » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 am

Hi
I am not a tech-savy person at all.
I took a typing class in 5th grade.
I have a computer and its fucking slow, half of my internet links are bad/or broken, I get pop up adds all the time, shit just sucks... I dont know how to fix it, I dont want to pay to have it fixed by a "computer professional"
I know that some of you out there know a lot about this stuff, manipulating the machine to bend to your will, so please drop knowledge and post links to DIY computer fix websites that actually work, ad blocking sites that actually work and are free, general tips, I heard that just dusting the computer improves its performance, so lets get this thing rolling so we can all have kick ass computers and make more noise
thank you in advance
-Mike

User avatar
Striations
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca
Contact:

Post by Striations » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:32 am

as far as the internet goes, how do I calibrate my motem to work at optimal speed?
how do i make my internet faster?

User avatar
Bipolar Fucking Joe
Posts: 5253
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:55 am

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm

As far as making your computer less of a piece of shit, take it back to standard, or wipe it completely and reinstall Windows. I'm assuming you use Internet Explorer, which you should stop doing and download something else. I use Firefox for regular browsing, with adblock which stops pop ups and so on. Get yourself a decent anti-virus. AVG Free is pretty good.

Defragment your drive once in a while, it'll stop data on your hard drive being all over the place and keep it stream-lined. As for the Interbutts, that's a billion different things. Either you have a bad ISP package or a very slow modem.

User avatar
Necrobot
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:49 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Necrobot » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:As far as making your computer less of a piece of shit, take it back to standard, or wipe it completely and reinstall Windows. I'm assuming you use Internet Explorer, which you should stop doing and download something else. I use Firefox for regular browsing, with adblock which stops pop ups and so on. Get yourself a decent anti-virus. AVG Free is pretty good.

Defragment your drive once in a while, it'll stop data on your hard drive being all over the place and keep it stream-lined. As for the Interbutts, that's a billion different things. Either you have a bad ISP package or a very slow modem.
everything he just said.

Laura91
Posts: 5384
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:52 am

reply

Post by Laura91 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Necrobot wrote:
Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:As far as making your computer less of a piece of shit, take it back to standard, or wipe it completely and reinstall Windows. I'm assuming you use Internet Explorer, which you should stop doing and download something else. I use Firefox for regular browsing, with adblock which stops pop ups and so on. Get yourself a decent anti-virus. AVG Free is pretty good.

Defragment your drive once in a while, it'll stop data on your hard drive being all over the place and keep it stream-lined. As for the Interbutts, that's a billion different things. Either you have a bad ISP package or a very slow modem.
everything he just said.
All of that sounds right to I.

I just hit my computer with a stick and when that fails I smash it repeatedly with a rock. Kicking it down the stairs does wonders.

User avatar
ablablablablabla
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:03 am
Location: Noise
Contact:

Re: reply

Post by ablablablablabla » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Laura91 wrote:
Necrobot wrote:
Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:As far as making your computer less of a piece of shit, take it back to standard, or wipe it completely and reinstall Windows. I'm assuming you use Internet Explorer, which you should stop doing and download something else. I use Firefox for regular browsing, with adblock which stops pop ups and so on. Get yourself a decent anti-virus. AVG Free is pretty good.

Defragment your drive once in a while, it'll stop data on your hard drive being all over the place and keep it stream-lined. As for the Interbutts, that's a billion different things. Either you have a bad ISP package or a very slow modem.
everything he just said.
All of that sounds right to I.

I just hit my computer with a stick and when that fails I smash it repeatedly with a rock. Kicking it down the stairs does wonders.
QFT

also, smear it with poo.

User avatar
gordon
Posts: 2533
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:18 am

Re: reply

Post by gordon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 am

ablablablablabla wrote: smear it with baby jelly.
G KP F TS Q

User avatar
AimmarCair
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:30 pm
Location: Shut up and click on my face!

Post by AimmarCair » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 am

Smear me with love, affection and
I need something.

User avatar
Striations
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca
Contact:

Post by Striations » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:40 am

ok working on it
keep the tips comming!!!
8) bob, where r u? im sure your computer works like terminator

User avatar
Striations
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca
Contact:

Re: reply

Post by Striations » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 am

gordon wrote:
ablablablablabla wrote: smear it with baby jelly.
trying this now, I guess Im just going to fuck my computer to fix it

User avatar
amishrobots
Posts: 2016
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Contact:

Post by amishrobots » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Necrobot wrote:
Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:As far as making your computer less of a piece of shit, take it back to standard, or wipe it completely and reinstall Windows. I'm assuming you use Internet Explorer, which you should stop doing and download something else. I use Firefox for regular browsing, with adblock which stops pop ups and so on. Get yourself a decent anti-virus. AVG Free is pretty good.

Defragment your drive once in a while, it'll stop data on your hard drive being all over the place and keep it stream-lined. As for the Interbutts, that's a billion different things. Either you have a bad ISP package or a very slow modem.
everything he just said.
replace the word "Windows" with "ubuntu" fuck microsoft.

also, i prefer chrome over firefox, but either is better than Internet Exploder

oh wait, i was supposed to be putting pants on.

anyway, yeah, delete any unnnecessary data AND EMPTY YOUR TRASH folder!

and since you're computer illiterate, you should probably ignore my previous advice and stick with windows; though it can't hurt to try out a livecd version of ubuntu

User avatar
Fatalposition
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:07 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Post by Fatalposition » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:42 pm

what i use on my windows machines:

ccleaner, and defraggler. (registry and temp files cleaner / hard drive defragger)

http://www.piriform.com/products

spybot s&d (spyware, adware removal and prevention)

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

microsoft security essentials (free anti-virus)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials
Crustacean Enlargement (Facebook)
Fatal Position (Facebook)

User avatar
Striations
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca
Contact:

Post by Striations » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:11 am

Hi all!
Thanks for the comments, this thread is being resurrected because I am having more computer problems.
I use windows 7 and firefox
I'm having a problem with my wireless modem staying connected to the internet.
It won't hold a connection and I often (almost daily) have to unplug the router and modem to re-set them and then the internet magically works again.
Any thoughts on wireless modems? My eventual goal is to have the cable company come out and install a really long internet cable from the router to my bedroom, but until I can afford that is there anything I can do to fix this?

User avatar
Striations
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca
Contact:

Post by Striations » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Timdrage where you at?

User avatar
Striations
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca
Contact:

Post by Striations » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:52 am

Fatalposition wrote: microsoft security essentials (free anti-virus)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials
This was helpful, thanks!

Thanks for all your lucrative comments these past few days...
:lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests