How about a pedal demo page/thread?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

the raytownian

How about a pedal demo page/thread?

Post by the raytownian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:21 pm

Okay, so Noise FX doesn't have sound samples of EVERYTHING... There's been A LOT of occasions where I'd really like to hear what an effect sounds like, both using conventional and unconventional sound sources. Demos of pedals that aren't neccessarily common enough (or are out of production) that have no, or only very short, limited demos... (I remember asking about the Alesis Bitrman, and I was shown a video using a moog synth... It gave me some vague ideas of the potential sounds with other sources, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for)

Feel free to yell at me for a potentially dumb idea, or suggesting something that could take up way too much bandwidth or whatever (hey, if nothing else, how about setting up a freesound account for posting stuff?) But I'd love a "by-suggestion" resource page (maybe on the noisewiki, or just as sticky thread here) I'd set something up if I knew what the hell I was doing, but I honestly don't...

I'm interested mosty in how stuff sounds on vocals (as in the voice-- not "singing", unless you want to...) and in a FB loop (on it's own preferably, unless a boost or modulation is required for desired effect) and if it's not too much trouble, with guitar.

And with all that said: I'd really like to hear some more in-depth sound demos of the Alesis Bitrman, Sirkut R-MOD, and any version of the Digitech Whammy if anyone would oblige (Not really interested in Whammy+guitar... I've seen every lame "Trying to sound like Tom Morello" video already!)

Thanks.
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

sgnhh

Post by sgnhh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Best way to share sounds is to just make a community gmail account. Give everyone the address and password and then you just upload stuff to the account. Might be a bitch for laying it all out, but since gmail is so searchable someone could just type in the name of the pedal they want to find a sample for.

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:19 am

hmm... I haven't used Gmail a whole lot, so I'm not really familiar with the setup, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

flies

Post by flies » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:02 pm

name noisefxdemo

pw XXnoiseXX

gmail

login as you please

sgnhh

Post by sgnhh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Cool, someone got the ball rolling. It's the easiest way to upload and track this stuff. Just make sure everyone puts what pedal their using in the Subject of emails and then more details in the body of the email and it should be really easily searchable. The 6800+ MBs should be more than enough space to get this started and see if it takes off.

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:15 am

Super. Thanks for setting it up... For whatever BS reason/excuse I can't come up with, I still hadn't done it... :oops:

So how about them demos, people? And go ahead and post your own suggestions. If I have something to demo, I'll be sure to upload it.
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

spark_applied_to_powder

Post by spark_applied_to_powder » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:52 pm

I think this is a great idea. I've got a few pedals I'd be willing to put on this when I get time.

Blue Desert Of Silence

Post by Blue Desert Of Silence » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:06 am

Fantastic idea, thanks!
-Iain David

grizzlor

Post by grizzlor » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 am

i added some labels and will begin to add some samples sometime in the future.
you can add your particular type of effect to whatever label so they can be more organized...
IN BLACKEST DAY!
IN DARKEST NIGHT!
THE GRIZZLOR HUNTS TONIGHT...

autopilot

Post by autopilot » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:17 am

i think youtube, will be fantastic, so you can have an idea of how each knobs interacts, an is open to the public, maybe we could use this post as a reference to post links/request samples of different gear

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:47 pm

grizzlor wrote:i added some labels and will begin to add some samples sometime in the future.
you can add your particular type of effect to whatever label so they can be more organized...
Cool. I'm still getting accustomed to Gmail... Maybe I sound slow, but I've just never really used it's features. I think a "Multi-Effect" label, unless it's there and I missed it, would be good. If I can figure out how to add it, I'll do so, unless someone gets to it first. (I'm just going to make a personal account to figure out the system Gmail uses without blocking others from accessing the account or messing anything up...)
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:48 pm

autopilot wrote:i think youtube, will be fantastic, so you can have an idea of how each knobs interacts, an is open to the public, maybe we could use this post as a reference to post links/request samples of different gear
Sounds cool. I don't really have any way to post videos myself, but perhaps, if there's enough interest, someone can set up a community youtube account similar to what shortscale.org seems to have.
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

sgnhh

Post by sgnhh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:00 pm

To add a new label in gmail you click the drop down menu to the right of the Archive, Report Spam and Delete buttons. When you click the drop down, you'll see an option for new label... at that point you just type your label in. That is also how you designate a message to a label. First you select the message (by checking the box to the left of the email in your inbox) and then go to the label drop down menu and select the label you want to attach to it.