Behringer NEUTRON ▔ Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

iNtoxZ

Behringer NEUTRON ▔ Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer

Post by iNtoxZ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Hello NoiseHeads!!!
I suggest in this topic to discuss this unit. I call the owners as well as those who understand modular synthesizers.
Recently, I became the owner of this device, and judging by what I can already hear, I was impressed to the depths of my soul.
I have a lot of questions for people who understand modular synthesizers.

But now, only two very important -

1) I was told that more than two [StackCable] cables connected to the module is fraught with device failure,
however, I’m not going to connect more than one cable, but the question is whether problems are possible, even if you use one such cable by connecting where it is not necessary?

2) I was told that it is also possible to connect the outputs of other synthesizers to a modul linein that will correspond to the voltage at the allowed neutron inputs. The question is, does this mean that everything that corresponds to the voltage of the corresponding neutron inputs can be a source for further manipulations with sound without any problems? For example, guitar pedals, synthesizer in the tablet and so on. For example, connect the shaker to the distortion and then connect to the entrance to the modular sections of neutron?

xdugef

Re: Behringer NEUTRON ▔ Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer

Post by xdugef » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:19 pm

iNtoxZ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:10 pm
1) I was told that more than two [StackCable] cables connected to the module is fraught with device failure,
Device failure? Uh no I doubt it.. stackables are mearly passive mults. The only real problem will be if you mult a CV that is controlling pitch and you care about accuracy..
otherwise mults are essential.

2) I was told that it is also possible to connect the outputs of other synthesizers to a modul linein that will correspond to the voltage at the allowed neutron inputs.
This is mainly an issue with CV signals but in many cases yes you can pretty much connect any external sound source it just may not do what you expect. CV signals can range in values anywhere from 0-1 volt up to 0-16volts whereas line level audio is usually only up to 1volts up to 3.5volts. So if you wish to use an external audio signal as a control voltage you can plug it directly but you'll get better results using an envelope follower that outputs a control voltage that matches your system

The neutron has different CV ranges some go up to 9.5volts

iNtoxZ

Post by iNtoxZ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Device failure? Uh no I doubt it.. stackables are mearly passive mults. The only real problem will be if you mult a CV that is controlling pitch and you care about accuracy..
otherwise mults are essential.

This is mainly an issue with CV signals but in many cases yes you can pretty much connect any external sound source it just may not do what you expect. CV signals can range in values anywhere from 0-1 volt up to 0-16volts whereas line level audio is usually only up to 1volts up to 3.5volts. So if you wish to use an external audio signal as a control voltage you can plug it directly but you'll get better results using an envelope follower that outputs a control voltage that matches your system
The neutron has different CV ranges some go up to 9.5volts

How can i know where is 8/9+volts?

Also into this input & output i can put a long circuit of many pedals? Some Kind feedback loop, yes?
Just for example ;-)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:57 pm

iNtoxZ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:54 pm
How can i know where is 8/9+volts?
By looking at the user manual like I did.

Okay I wasn't considering sending multiple voltages to same input .. that could be bad .. you'd want to use a mixer of some sort.. but considering that most of the CV inputs are up to 5 volts you could mix several consumer grade audio signals before maxing it out.

iNtoxZ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:54 pm
Also into this input & output i can put a long circuit of many pedals? Some Kind feedback loop, yes?
Just for example ;-)
This would probably be fine.

iNtoxZ

Post by iNtoxZ » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 pm

By looking at the user manual like I did.
OMFG!!!! YOU GOT NEUTRON????!!!! :eek:

Can you recommend something for me, please? :gape:
If real, i'm some kind of dumb human, yes... i'm really retarded, can i just make like on this pics?
Image or Image

Without danger to spoil anything?
Also i'm still waiting this StackCable patch...

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:45 am

iNtoxZ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 pm

OMFG!!!! YOU GOT NEUTRON????!!!! :eek:
No.. I just downloaded the manual. There's an index that lists the volt ranges of the CV signals.
iNtoxZ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 pm
Can you recommend something for me, please? :gape:
If real, i'm some kind of dumb human, yes... i'm really retarded, can i just make like on this pics?
Without danger to spoil anything?
Also i'm still waiting this StackCable patch...
Yes like I said you can split an output to two inputs without any worry of harm.

puddysjacket

Post by puddysjacket » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 am

I'm surprised Behringer hasn't come out with a desktop synth that includes several MI modules....clouds/rings combo or something. They're all open source aren't they?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 pm

puddysjacket wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 am
I'm surprised Behringer hasn't come out with a desktop synth that includes several MI modules....clouds/rings combo or something. They're all open source aren't they?
Heh.. they're better known for making knockoffs of other peoples designs that weren't open source

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:39 am

For the cost, it looks like this would be a good introduction to the modular world. Don't like the red colour scheme but you get shit tons of flexibility.

I am still considering an 0-coast though, which is obviously more expensive but the build quality looks far more durable.

iNtoxZ

Post by iNtoxZ » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:59 am

Fletcher wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:39 am
FDon't like the red colour scheme but you get shit tons of flexibility.