Building Noise Instruments

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

MysteriousCreep

Building Noise Instruments

Post by MysteriousCreep » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am

I've been planning to do noisecore stuff (Gerogerigegege, World, Bucket of Piss, just lots of noise, yelling, and blast beats), but my old noise box (received as a Christmas gift, guitar strings into a wooden box with 1/4 out) is much too fragile to handle punishment like drumstick bashing and throwing about. It has a contact mic inside it that I intend to cut out and affix to something else. But I need some advice before I buy any components. I need something that can provide more sustained, resonant sounds in addition to just clattering impacts that also puts out a fairly wide frequency range. My initial idea was a metal garbage can lid with a handle and maybe some springs anchored across the bottom, but I fear it's not going to provide the noise walls and feedback I desire. My current setup is just a Zoom B1 multi-effect and a Bass Big Muff, but I'm planning to get a behringer analog delay and some kind of cheap extreme distortion pedal, plus maybe an octave up fuzz. Given that setup, what should I look for to get optimal screeching and low-end heavy distorted blasts?

crochambeau

Re: Building Noise Instruments

Post by crochambeau » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm

You want low end? Size matters.

Long springs, long strings, sheets of metal, lengths of pipe, etc.

Any pleats in a surface (like the structural ridges in your aforementioned garbage can lid) are going to push your resonant frequencies upward, so wide uninterrupted curves make life easier...

..at least until you need to move the fucking thing.

Finding your balance is a personal endeavor.

Me? I'd leave my present noise maker intact and build another from the ground up. Piezo elements are cheap and plentiful. That way you can use your existing rig as a plectrum or whatever for your new rig.

Wash rinse repeat.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:02 am

Even with low gain, a contact mic generally feeds back like a mofo.

They have these things called basses, and they do make a good basis for low frequency noise machines :mrgreen:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am

You might get some inspiration from this guys gallery:

https://www.chasecoley.com/instruments/

He makes some cool devices.

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am

i made this with tube bending springs, soft steel that sounds killer, the large spring is almost always vibrating, you can see its blurry in the second pic, they arent too tight to give good sub bass, the full range boom box speaker works great as a pick up, its mounted very securely to pick up maximum bass freqs, on the bottom is contact mic for higher freqs, glued to iron wood body
20190115_105947.jpg
noise guitar
20190115_105947.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
20190115_110033.jpg
hillbilly pickup
20190115_110033.jpg (135.45 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
20190115_110301.jpg
contact mic
20190115_110301.jpg (132.64 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
all the sounds on this track were made with the above instrument and a death metal:

https://wastedbaby.bandcamp.com/track/the-overman

here is just one source for these type of springs:

https://www.amazon.com/Uniweld-70028-Sp ... ref=plSrch

MysteriousCreep

Post by MysteriousCreep » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:02 am
Even with low gain, a contact mic generally feeds back like a mofo.

They have these things called basses, and they do make a good basis for low frequency noise machines :mrgreen:
Screeching feedback is exactly what I want with this. I do have a bass guitar, but it won't have that high-pitched screeching feedback to it. Plus it's a decent instrument that I wouldn't want to abuse, something that this device is going to need to handle a lot of.
crochambeau wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm
You want low end? Size matters.

Long springs, long strings, sheets of metal, lengths of pipe, etc.

Any pleats in a surface (like the structural ridges in your aforementioned garbage can lid) are going to push your resonant frequencies upward, so wide uninterrupted curves make life easier...

..at least until you need to move the fucking thing.
The lid I'm looking at is about 17 and a half inches across (Behrens 20 gallon steel lid, because my family actually has one of those cans and so I've experimented with whacking it). It has three ridges along the surface, but since the bottom edge extends down, I figure the lid itself can get the high-to-midrange clanking and a thick spring or two stretched across the length of the underside can handle the lows. With the addition of the octave down splitter from the multi-fx, it should be enough. Good stuff to think about, though.
crochambeau wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Me? I'd leave my present noise maker intact and build another from the ground up. Piezo elements are cheap and plentiful. That way you can use your existing rig as a plectrum or whatever for your new rig.
Good point.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 am

tube bending springs
good call, thanks for this idea!

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 am

timdrage wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 am
tube bending springs
good call, thanks for this idea!
i love me some springs, one of my oldest friends

dude switched out his car springs, i saved one and was thinking about turning it into a reverb, not sure how well that would work, would it be all high freqs?
20190116_065843.jpg
20190116_065843.jpg (143.63 KiB) Viewed 1072 times

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:43 am

^ A car spring might be too stiff on its own.
Might work better if welded down to a plate at the bottom, then have a big lump of something welded to the top to give it a bit of extra mass....

*edit*
Although from experience, car springs are not always easily weldable (if at all) so you might have to bolt stuff on

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am

Fletcher wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:43 am
Might work better if welded down to a plate at the bottom, then have a big lump of something welded to the top to give it a bit of extra mass....

*edit*
Although from experience, car springs are not always easily weldable (if at all) so you might have to bolt stuff on
i have a plan to suspend it with even more springs, adding mass isnt an option as its designed to operate at tension which means i would need around 500kg of weight to just start moving it, my idea is to use two long arms for leverage, one on each end, the driver will be able to move the spring slightly more, but the arms and cabinet will be a lot of work, not sure its worth it beyond the novelty, and it will be too heavy and large to move easily

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 pm

killing raven sun wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am
Fletcher wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:43 am

*edit*
i have a plan to suspend it with even more springs, adding mass isnt an option as its designed to operate at tension which means i would need around 500kg of weight to just start moving it, my idea is to use two long arms for leverage, one on each end, the driver will be able to move the spring slightly more, but the arms and cabinet will be a lot of work, not sure its worth it beyond the novelty, and it will be too heavy and large to move easily
The challenge would be exciting the spring. I'd connect a tactile transducer to one end and a piezo or other pressure/vibration to signal transducer at the other and treat it as a material domain change transmission line. Though, once you're working with those transducers you might be better off finding some wire cable and doing web work as opposed to linear coil.

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm

crochambeau wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 pm
The challenge would be exciting the spring.
yeah, but reading that just gave me a better idea, a dumb bell sort of weight attached to the top of the spring with the mass situated away from the center line of the coil and then that gets actuated and reinforces vibration, genius! thanks C

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm

killing raven sun wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am
i made this with tube bending springs, soft steel that sounds killer, the large spring is almost always vibrating, you can see its blurry in the second pic, they arent too tight to give good sub bass, the full range boom box speaker works great as a pick up, its mounted very securely to pick up maximum bass freqs, on the bottom is contact mic for higher freqs, glued to iron wood body
all the sounds on this track were made with the above instrument and a death metal:

https://wastedbaby.bandcamp.com/track/the-overman

here is just one source for these type of springs:

https://www.amazon.com/Uniweld-70028-Sp ... ref=plSrch
That looks PHENOMENAL!

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 pm

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm
That looks PHENOMENAL!
well to be honest its stuff i had laying around and i wasnt too happy at first, thought i might make a nicer one but then i plugged it in, it can make so many sounds its creepy, and the feedback is fucking brutal with both contact mic and speaker

btw, the vocal part of that track is captured by the boom box speaker, so its a really versatile instrument