Power supply?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

TerminallyBlue

Power supply?

Post by TerminallyBlue » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:03 pm

What do you guys use as a power supply? Up until now, I have used a cheap $5 plug with a daisy chain, which is awfully noisy, but since, yknow, we are making noise, I didnt really mind at all. But I would like to get an actual power supply now, so I can experiment with more sounds where I really need there to be minimal hum after all the distorting and stuff. What do you guys use, and how does it respond to a ton of distortion? I would rather not pay €100+, but if its the only way I can get a clean sound, I will have to eat it, I guess.

As a side note, I have found that people have talked pretty favorably about Donner Dp-1 and Harley Benton PowerPlant, but both have a few reviews complaining about noise. Anyone here happens to have one of these?

thanks!

Fletcher

Re: Power supply?

Post by Fletcher » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:25 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XPG ... UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these which is cheap but does the trick
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

TerminallyBlue

Post by TerminallyBlue » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Cool! No hum/buzz, I assume, then?

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 am

TerminallyBlue wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:31 pm
Cool! No hum/buzz, I assume, then?
Nope, no hum, even if all ports are in use. Am very impressed for the price range. The amazon reviews pretty much say the same thing.

I would however say that I have only ever used this at home, and not out on the road. Box seems durable enough and I have had it running for 3 hours+ with 8 pedals attached and no worries. Was tempted to buy another one at this price and keep it in storage...
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:54 am

I use this (not sure if exactly this model but some Stagg 9v) with a daisychain, works great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-17740-Bl ... s=9v+stagg

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:07 am

Cheap half wave rectified linears are the worst, followed by cheap switchmode power supplies that switch in the audible range.

High quality linears are great if you need gobs of power, but for pedals and so forth I find a decent switchmode with a switching rate well into the hundreds of kHz to meet my needs quite well.

My method was just buying power supplies that caught my eye when I was out at thrift stores/charity shops, taking them home and looked at the output on an o-scope weeding the noisy ones (you can use your ears for this, so long as you set up a rig that will allow you to plug it in without wasting time to change out the tip) out and replaced the output connector (which are usually wired reverse to what I need) to meet my needs on the good ones. Over time it becomes easier to pick out potential based on original purpose so as to avoid wasting cash on trash.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:50 am

Code: Select all

weeding the noisy ones 
I actually kept a particularly terrible one because it was so noisy :D

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:22 pm

timdrage wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:50 am

Code: Select all

weeding the noisy ones 
I actually kept a particularly terrible one because it was so noisy :D
Me too, I have one that has a somewhat ghostly whine that wanders a bit depending on what it's plugged into...

..but usually I would just find nasally honk or an annoying whine that gets old fast. I also put diode power protection into everything, so you can grab an AC supply if you want to get really nasty. :lol:

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 am

one of those power strips meant for guitar equipment. You can find those at any guitar center, they're all good. I only keep one of those on the ready because sometimes the circular loops of crap creates a gnarly buzz sometimes and I need to mix in lower volume tracks or things that are loud than quiet. All can be fixed in a mix down but sometimes a good piece of equipment can save lots of time. I don't have much time.
If I ever stop posting for more than a year or so, then I died and I really liked you all. Until then, ignore this.

zero21

Post by zero21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:38 pm

I use a Truetone 1 SPOT. Pretty cheap, and it works! Saving for a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power. ;)