What's your laptop setup

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

timdrage

Re: What's your laptop setup

Post by timdrage » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:31 am

not off the top of my head... i just set one or two of the oscs to noise (there's one white noise and one tuned/shift register 8-bit sounding 'noise' per instrument, plus a sample+hold in the patchbay screen) and modulated the filters with other stuff,,, you can patch osc2 into the pitch of itself which can cause interestingly chaotic results, and can control pitch and filter cutoff with both oscs, envelope and some lfos. alas apart from osc 2 into itself you can't really do anything else which causes any kind of feedback :(

it does take a bit of fiddling about to make things less 4-4 beat-ish but you can effectively dispense with any rhythm by setting the tempo to the slowest possible and making continuous notes on the sequencer for drones/noise, plus you can add swing and make patterns with odd numbers of notes.

this recording had some extra distortion in post but nothing too crazy

if you have Reactor you can make any amount of better and more complex harsh noise patches than this. :D But get a DS and the DS-10, it's fun :)

nqmanikoi

Post by nqmanikoi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:06 pm

timdrage wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:31 am
But get a DS and the DS-10, it's fun :)
I actually first started tracks with the built in audio editor. I routed it in a mixer and apply a distortion. Ah . . . Anyway, I was into some money and was wondering what to get. The DS-12 is on sale right now at the Nintendo store. I hope my screen isn't too narrow for the interface, because I own a normal turquoise ds.
I think it will also give yet another look at synthesis - working with puredata the last few months really helped me explain to myself a lot of stuff. The ds-12 looks like a friendly and affordable way to play with a synthesizer.
It also works for a set that you can carry in a backpack.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:35 am

Haven't tried the NDS12 tho it looks great too. It only works on DSi / 3DS tho right? Interested to see if it's capable of such grittiness as the DS-10, i think the more advanced DSs have a much higher sample rate.

I just have old skool DS Lite, the interface is well designed and looks good on any of them as far as i know :)

nqmanikoi

Post by nqmanikoi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:51 am

timdrage wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:35 am
Haven't tried the NDS12 tho it looks great too. It only works on DSi / 3DS tho right? Interested to see if it's capable of such grittiness as the DS-10, i think the more advanced DSs have a much higher sample rate.

I just have old skool DS Lite, the interface is well designed and looks good on any of them as far as i know :)
I think it's 3DS only, yes. It seems that it has an added oscillator dysplay and stuff like that to make it more intuitive. I think it has even more possibilities for making customs sounds, with less focus on programming patterns and stuff like this.
My 3DS on the other hand seems to be region locked in America, so I can't actually buy it through the eStore. I actually wrote the developers in Japan if they can find a way for me to buy it from them directly. It's a desperate measure, but idk what else to do. I can try asking somebody to hack 3ds out of the region lock, but then i'll be overspending. still, thanks for the heads up.

joshenjammer

Post by joshenjammer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:01 pm

I used to use exclusively guitar effects recorded directly into Reaper+plugins (with some pretty mediocre results :roll: ), but I recently discovered a program called Music SDP that I believe is built in Max 8 that can do some pretty cool shit.

https://www.musicsdp.com/

makes sound design a lot easier and more intuitive, and I think for the most part my noise has seen a large improvement from when I almost entirely depended on Reaper etc.
more like noisy ambient but fuck it
https://ihlyatt.bandcamp.com/

joshenjammer

Post by joshenjammer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:15 am

oh shit I didn't even see that haha.

has anyone else here used this program? I'm curious to hear what other people do with it, I haven't found much actual discussion of it online
more like noisy ambient but fuck it
https://ihlyatt.bandcamp.com/

clemon

Post by clemon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:43 am

never really made laptop noise after the 1st attempt. i made a feedback loop in max/msp and blew my macbook speakers :doh:

well, besides the obvious
:potato: :cry:

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:49 pm

clemon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:43 am
never really made laptop noise after the 1st attempt. i made a feedback loop in max/msp and blew my macbook speakers :doh:

well, besides the obvious
What do you think about arts?

clemon

Post by clemon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:32 pm

i mean... i basically have no idea at all
Attachments
clever.PNG
clever.PNG (30.7 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Last edited by clemon on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

clemon

Post by clemon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 pm

don't much care who you're sucking off, dear cleverbot. how's baby

cleverbot

Post by cleverbot » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:44 pm

clemon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 pm
don't much care who you're sucking off, dear cleverbot. how's baby

parting hair? in always such he his comes If has no a how reflection, had Dracula straight
*copies and pastes cleverbot response*

untitled

Post by untitled » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:24 am

Tiny schoolar notebook
Audacity and LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio)

ablablablablabla

Post by ablablablablabla » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 am

Hammerhead rhythm studio with the dll sound hack, ZynAddSubFX, fl studio 12, reaper, audacity, openmpt, pd (automatism is cool)... windows sound recorder on xp..

HeliacalShimmer

Post by HeliacalShimmer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:32 am

Finding a good daw for Ubuntu is not going well.

Apparently Bitwig is compatible with Ubuntu, if anyone has a copy they want to sell me for very cheap :D. Tracktion 7 looks like a possibility, except it doesn't look like it has any modular capabilities whatsoever or anything outside of crappy synths. Ardour and LMMS might also be cooler than they look, but again the latter three look so much less sophisticated than Bitwig, and the last time I used Bitwig it was like Live lite took a shit and Bitwig came out.

Oh the humanity