How did we all get here?

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

dwemmy

Post by dwemmy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:28 am

MKULTRA wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:an echoplex, rat distortion and a cable in one hand
That is walking the rice paper.

( EP-1, 2 or 3 ? )
Or the dreaded EP-4?
A good number of the early EP-4 Echoplexes in the seventies had a compression circuit board installed. It was rushed into production and was an abject failure. A lot of people complained about how it negatively affected the tone of the Plex, and they stopped manufacturing them with the compressor installed. They even added a page in the manual stating how to remove it.
Derek Baiiey R.I.P. 1930-2005
UVFICliberal secular humanist

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:06 am

the echoplex belonged to my house mate (a really great guitarist)
he got it new in the sixties with a fender Twin Pre CBS and the cheaper Howard Roberts guitar, the one with the natural finished top

I bought a space echo in the late 70's., added three radio shack cassette recorders cheap ones with build in mics and would play everything through a black faced fender super reverb with 4 X10's .it was definitely gah-gah.

I just did what I wanted and really didn't think about what I was doing
added a Micro Moog, and an A/DA flangers.

it wasn't the gear or the gear that caused me to go there it was
giving my self permission to do any thing that was entertaining

house mate #2 was into jazz (all the classic guys, all the classic tunes, standards) he was just besides himself by what I was doing.

around that time NON (two guys not one: Rice Boyd and another guy
were playing at the San Francisco Art Institute one friday night so I talked every body into going to the show, AND OFF TO SAN FRANCISCO.. we went straight out of Pleasant Hill and into the world of industrial sound ......the general response was " why "and " that was terrible"
speaking of noise

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:09 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about the Big Bang.

gordon

Post by gordon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:32 pm

this thread is about itself.
G KP F TS Q

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:35 am

gordon wrote:this thread is about itself.
I have creeping suspicions that this tread just might be about it self,
but I can not decide if I care or not.
speaking of noise

Laura91

Post by Laura91 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:55 am

The first noise track I heard was "Bedsheet" on Brutal Truth's "Perpetual Conversion" EP. A few years later I checked out the Relapse Records catalog because I was sick of dealing with clueless fucks in the local record shops who had no idea that metal went beyond Metallica and I found out about Masonna, Merzbow, etc. I ordered the "Noise War" double cassette compilation and the rest was history. I started making all kinds of racket with amps, pedals, mics (blew up my home stereo at one point doing early Namanax style stuff).

gordon

Post by gordon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:17 am

i'd never heard of Namanax before, but this stuff is pretty good.
G KP F TS Q

Noise Vision

Post by Noise Vision » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I got here from Hip Hop. Kind of. Was always into a wide variety of music and was a constant buyer of whatever I could get my hands on. When I began doing some small Hip Hop productions for local acts in Los Angeles around the end of my High School years 96-97 or so I would dig for more obscure records to sample from. Pulling odd sounds from Cage, Sun Ra, or Wendy Carlos. Those individual roads lead to getting deeper and deeper into 'noise' sounds. Didn't start going to shows until a few years later, 2002ish, and after seeing live performances of these sounds I was hooked.
I Stole the T.V.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Noise Vision wrote:I got here from Hip Hop. Kind of. Was always into a wide variety of music and was a constant buyer of whatever I could get my hands on. When I began doing some small Hip Hop productions for local acts in Los Angeles around the end of my High School years 96-97 or so I would dig for more obscure records to sample from. Pulling odd sounds from Cage, Sun Ra, or Wendy Carlos. Those individual roads lead to getting deeper and deeper into 'noise' sounds. Didn't start going to shows until a few years later, 2002ish, and after seeing live performances of these sounds I was hooked.
Got any samples of your more hip-hop work?
DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in the past on this account may not accurately reflect my current beliefs, especially those prior to 2017.

CPI

Post by CPI » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:21 pm

I went...
Jane's Addiction -> first Lollapalooza -> The Boredoms performing -> Hanatarash ->Gerogerigegege ->Hijokaiden.
And all was good.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Marx Bros > Devo > Frank Zappa > Butthole Surfers > Nurse with Wound > Throbbing Gristle > Circuit Bending

dwemmy

Post by dwemmy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:39 am

I like that approach^^^

1967 Beatles--->
1969 Led Zeppelin--->
1972 Return To Forever--->
1977 Lou Reed's MMM--->
1980 Derek Bailey--->
1986 Blackhouse

This was the benefit of having two older brothers as I was only 6 y.o in 1967 and would've probably taken many wrong turns; though by 1972 I was on my own picking stuff.
Derek Baiiey R.I.P. 1930-2005
UVFICliberal secular humanist

zombra

Post by zombra » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:47 am

xdugef wrote:Marx Bros > Devo > Frank Zappa > Butthole Surfers > Nurse with Wound > Throbbing Gristle > Circuit Bending
I'd like to know more about the transition between Throbbing Gristle to Circuit Bending, plz.
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

ephemeralnaut

channel?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:31 am

When i was a kid and barely even listened to music I was already recording weird tapes... sellotape on the mic, tape recorder tied to skateboard, readings from Goblins of the Labyrinth, Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy-esque radio plays for school music lessons etc etc :)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:56 am

zombra wrote:
xdugef wrote:Marx Bros > Devo > Frank Zappa > Butthole Surfers > Nurse with Wound > Throbbing Gristle > Circuit Bending
I'd like to know more about the transition between Throbbing Gristle to Circuit Bending, plz.
There was a pretty big gap between my introduction to TG and Circuit Bending.. like about 14 years. I guess after getting turned on to TG and NWW I made my first noise recordings in the late 80's. But then I phased out of that and didn't get back into it until I came upon circuit bending, from there I started seeing lots of local acts, I can't even begin to pinpoint who all it was. I also hooked up with Roilnoise records shortly after Circuit Bending.

I saw Merzbow in the mid 90's but but was really unimpressed so I didn't investigate that much and didn't start collecting noise other than classic industrial and experimental until the year 2003-4 or so.