How did we all get here?

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

suspiria 23

Post by suspiria 23 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Well, I liked Sonic Youth starting around the time Dirty came out (I was in middle school), so I've always enjoyed noise rock, but as for actual harsh noise/PE? I got really into splatterpunk and extreme hardcore movies and books etc which led to Peter Sotos which led to Whitehouse. Not very cool I know but that's the truth.

RUBBISH

Post by RUBBISH » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:46 am

NON is a huge influence on me sound wise
the industrial culture handbook
i found a NON cd at the mall when i was 17 and got all the reissue lps around that time also

but its GG ALLIN that really caused it all...he has some noise type tracks and i bought the YOU'LL HATE THIS RECORD RECORD because it had a GG track on it

also the DOLLAR BIN at the local record store,PEACH OF IMMORTALITY - r e m is air supply, was the first actual noise record i bought...$1(intense shit,acid drenched insanity from atlanta!?
also JIM KAISER and MARK REYNOLDS(both old school kansas city noise guys)
Kiss Me

Abulikah

Post by Abulikah » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:23 pm

RUBBISH wrote:
also the DOLLAR BIN at the local record store,PEACH OF IMMORTALITY - r e m is air supply, was the first actual noise record i bought...$1(intense shit,acid drenched insanity from atlanta!?

One of the first noise records I found too and in the used bin, but I think I paid $3 for it.
http://www.myspace.com/idiednoise

The voices in my head ignore me.

:plzdie:

:beer:

shittyghost

firsts.

Post by shittyghost » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:39 pm

smegma
caroliner
daniel menche [saw him in 91]

xome

Post by xome » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:43 pm

For some reason I had a DigiTech PDS20/20 delay with infinite repeat. It was fun to get 'cool loops' going in that thing.

I started recording the loops and other random crap on a Tascam 4 track my friend let me borrow.

It sort of evolved from there and then a friend gave me a catalog from Subterranean Records in SF. I had some money to spend on CDs so I picked up a handful of discs with interesting 1-line descriptions from unfamiliar artists.

Let's see, I remember "Excrete Music" from Violent Onsen Geisha was one of them. That one sticks out most in my mind as "wholly kkrap! there are people out there actually releasing this kind of stuff?!?!?!"

And then it became O.K. to continue doing noise.

I moved from SF to Tokyo in 1994 and about the third day I was there I found out about a show happening with Violent Onsen Geisha, Omoide Hatoba, Merzbow and some others.. I went there and met all those fuckers and they were super cool. Got one show in Tokyo late that year and that led to more shows.. and releases.. and other noise bull-pucky.

Sixteen years later... beeeelch...

dwemmy

Post by dwemmy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:03 pm

For some reason I thought you'd been doing noise since the early 80s- or is that your partner in crime?
Derek Baiiey R.I.P. 1930-2005
UVFICliberal secular humanist

xome

Post by xome » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 am

dwemmy wrote:For some reason I thought you'd been doing noise since the early 80s- or is that your partner in crime?
I have some cassette tapes from around 1989 that have Xome scrawled on them. Some of it's 'experimental' in nature and some is tweaked out Korg M1 patches sequenced with Cakewalk (DOS version, thank you!!) ... Most of it's rather embarrassing!! heh..

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 am

Basically around 1999/2000 inspired by SRL and other machine/robot art, googled for ideas for achievable electronic art projects and found Ghalaza's circuitbending stuff.

Also listening-wise at the time DHR etc..., and in Newport where i was living there were 'No Ground Processes' and other free for all experimental nights which i went to and eventually played at when I had some things which made noises + met other local noise acts most notably Snork Maiden.

ablablablablabla

Post by ablablablablabla » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 am

+

eftim

Post by eftim » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:57 am

i made some music - and i thought it is too soft sound so i wanted to add more white noise and metal noise over it - so i started to make stuff like that. in that time i listened to ebm mostly - but after making my stuff it sounded too one dimensional and thin to me so i started to search for more heavier sound - so i stumbled onto japanoise stuff...
www.nundata.blogspot.com
or ask me directly for trade nundata@yahoo.com

A.R.GH

Post by A.R.GH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:30 am

At first, (as far as I remember) listening to the first album by Dulce Líquido some of you may say "blasphemy!", but i liked it and i found very interesting the use of "noises" in their beat material(or "power noise", how some people call it)... after that a friend introduced me to MZ 412, i'm a big metal fan so I was attracted by their concept, the mixture with black metal elements...later I discovered brighter death Now, after that I just started to search for all kind of noise realated stufff I could find ,at first lots of death industrial, power electronics, industrial material, later I started to listening more and more noise
I can't remember the order of the bands, but that's how I discovered Merzbow and tons of other stuff.
That's the story...

AmexNori

Post by AmexNori » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:08 pm

I discovered noise with CMI's Absolute Supper. Being addicted to metal this was something totally new and 'fresh' so I got deeper into it.
download and join our free Z E I T G E I S T compilation: www.amexnori.be

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:43 am

Velvet Underground, John Cage, Pat Gleason,

an echoplex, rat distortion and a cable in one hand and snoot full of crank.
speaking of noise

Jackie Kennedy

Post by Jackie Kennedy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:09 am

ikeaboy wrote:Velvet Underground, John Cage, Pat Gleason,

an echoplex, rat distortion and a cable in one hand and snoot full of crank.
fucking awesome.
I still think Im just as good as Guilty Connector.

http://fakerr.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ffakerr

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:13 am

[...
Last edited by MKULTRA on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.