How to go about gaining recognition as a noise artist?

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

sunburnedshirts

How to go about gaining recognition as a noise artist?

Post by sunburnedshirts » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm

I've had this question ever since I had the first of few people purchase things off of my bandcamp, and no amount of shilling to various randos and labels has increased the viewcount of my noise project.

xdugef

Re: How to go about gaining recognition as a noise artist?

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm

sunburnedshirts wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I've had this question ever since I had the first of few people purchase things off of my bandcamp, and no amount of shilling to various randos and labels has increased the viewcount of my noise project.
Play live.. do stupid things in public or live streaming.. be the cool guy with a label , a hitler haircut and a jagermeister shot luge..

Pretty much all music genres have reached full saturation and we are witnessing AI being implemented to write new music.. soon most recorded music may be highly tuned to each individual and it'll be a thing to see actual humans doing it for real in public instead of holograms.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 pm

I've been trying and failing to figure that out since I started. I think a lot of people do at some point, not just for noise but for art in general, or for a skill or even a job. There's no formula for it, no one perfect answer (at least AFAIK).

I will say one big commonality I notice with most prolific noise people is flexibility (note I make a distinction between "prolific" and "recognizable:" some people put out a shit ton of material and are still relegated to obscurity for any number of reasons, so your mileage may vary).

Beyond your own quality control standards, this also means being open to splits with people regardless of their position on the 'noise hierarchy,' willingness to let the label (if there is one involved) take care of art/layout/limitation and generally letting other people do their own thing with the understanding that your noise is the one thing you won't compromise on. It's important to stick to your guns if you feel strongly about something, but if you're not willing to compromise on anything, you're destined to go the bandcamp route which, as xdugef points out, is already saturated. You might as well be alone in a room listening to your own voice echoing back.

It helps not to have an ego, especially dealing with other people who may know better than you do how to get your work noticed; I definitely struggle with this myself because I'm a perfectionist. Again, there's no easy answer for how to overcome or mitigate such inclinations: if there is, I'm obviously not the kind of person who would know. It is okay to make mistakes: make lots of art qnd put it out, because you don't become a better artist by not doing arg. You will look back at some of the shit you did and cringe, but if you were passionate or even just earnest about it, you'll feel like less of a jackass later.

Hope that give some food for thought. Good luck.
DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in the past on this account may not accurately reflect my current beliefs, especially those prior to 2017.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 pm

'how do i gain recognition by participating in the music genre which by design least inspires or requires any kind of recognition at all?"

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Depends what you mean by recognition, and why you would want it. As far as I know even the likes of The Rita (Sam Mckinlay) has a day job. The 'Stars' Merzbow et al were there at the start of the genre so became 'names'. So it's unlikely you will achieve that kind of recognition. All the other posts above are valid. I would add that for sometime generally in the arts 'curatorship' has become dominant and so networking in and with these groups has become the way to get invites to performances.

Be aware that in other areas both popular and not promotion is a huge thing, so who is your target audience how much are you prepared to spend on promotion. As a cautionary tale The KLF, (Bill Drummond Jimmy Cauty) a 'pop' group wanted to break into the high art 'scene' and failed, despite taking out full page ads in The Times and offering The 1994 K Foundation award - £40,000 and subsequently burning a million pounds... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Foundation_art_award

Bill Drummond now hangs around third rate art venues – notably one near here called East Side Projects still attempting to break into the “serious” art scene.

So you need to first decide in what way do you want recognition, for doing what, and then work out how to go about achieving that. And even then – as above – there are networks in which if you are not in will not readerly let you in.

"Taylor Alison Swift was born on December 13, 1989, in Reading, Pennsylvania. Her father, Scott Kingsley Swift, was a stockbroker for Merrill Lynch....To help Swift break into country music, her father transferred to the Nashville office of Merrill Lynch when she was 14..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Sw ... Early_life

“There's no formula for it, no one perfect answer (at least AFAIK).” 95% marketing 5% talent. But note the case of Bill Drummond – not guaranteed

P.S. You have a bandcamp site - but you might like to put the link in your sig. Why should anyone bother to look up your entry here and follow the link - I did. The noise is noise... but your twitter and Sound Cloud links go nowhere- just are not there! Do you have a website or blog for more information- any reviewer would want this. These can be free. I mean if you make it hard for people to find your work and what it might be about - mutual interests etc. Try to get a name that Google searches find... Get some Cassettes or CDrs and send them for review.. Don't expect recognition.

Also sunburned shirts = [attachment=0]sun.jpg[/attachment] Try putting xdugef into google...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZM33nevfU
Attachments
sun.jpg
sun.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 832 times
https://soundcloud.com/jliat/sets/jliat ... variations
https://soundcloud.com/jliat/sets/jliat ... tions-from
"The most irrational thing to do is to make something worthless, with no political emotional or entertaining purpose."

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 pm

Try putting xdugef into google...
good point! :) or jliat or cementimental for that matter :D

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 am

timdrage wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 pm
Well I was wary of being called an attention seeking whore... :roll:
"The most irrational thing to do is to make something worthless, with no political emotional or entertaining purpose."

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:31 am

OKSDUJL

One of SBS releases gives a hit. I'd serious think of using this..

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:30 am

Having a unique google-able name definitely helps.

My "handle" is borrowed from a tiny hamlet in Gloucestershire - https://goo.gl/maps/Sk5coZVRfkz

But If you google Soloman Tump it mainly just returns with stuff that i've done (admittedly not much yet), which is nice.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:39 am

timdrage wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 pm
Yes good SEO is important! :mrgreen:

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:49 am

give up

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 am

As my Dad would say if you want to get known for doing something keep doing it for a long time.

But before you give up add yourself to the noisewiki.com

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 am

some interesting observations related to this topic can also be found here:
https://forum.noiseguide.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20084

personal favorites:
moch wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:39 pm
what i do is i just keep on making music that sounds good to me. i do it because i enjoy it and it keeps me busy. I make so much music that eventually something gets noticed.
killing raven sun wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 pm
your audience may be more spread out over time, as opposed to the pop stars who get all their attention at the moment of now but little residuals, so fame might be considered more of a long term staying power of an artist or their work rather than initial reception, a body of work is more important than a big splash since you cant really make a big splash
just like xdude's dad said :)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:20 am

puddysjacket

Post by puddysjacket » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:44 pm

By any chance are you under the age of 25?