Digitech Synth Wah

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

moch

Re: Digitech Synth Wah

Post by moch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:32 pm

im thinking of getting this distorstion overdrive pedal since the one i recently bought was a fail.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:44 pm

Re: DOD - FX51 ( Juice Box )

Postby Bernardduur » 27 Apr 2015, 20:04
I've bought a broken one for dirt cheap........

And I must say the problems with this unit is as many others have descrived in the online fora. It is bright, the controls have sometimes little to change and the overal sound (with a clean amp) is pretty clangy / overly bright. When combined with an already OD'ing amp it works pretty well...........

So I wanted to see what I could change.

The pedal's brightness is part due to the design and part due to the chosen values of the potmeters. All potmeters in this unit are 100k lin and that doesn't work that well for some paramters. The gain (called 'juice') doens't do anything on the first 50%, then suddenly all nice gain structures can be made. Same with the treble (called 'Tang') that does not function between 20 -100%; only the first 20% really change the treble from down and bassy to high and shrill. Time for a change!

I added a 100k resistor parallel to the gain potmeter. Now I can dial in a lot of gain sounds much better.
I added a 1u cap to the 0.22u cap on the opamps feedback loop to get some more lows in the higher gained settings. Works pretty well!!
I added a 47k and a 10k to the treble potmeter (between the lugs); with these changes it now functions from 0 - 75% perfectly!

This made the unit already great, but I wanted more! There is one gyrator for the lows (approx 106.3Hz / Q=1.47) that is tied to a potmeter so the lows can be dialed in. Another gyrator (approx 876.6Hz / Q=1.21) is set to max. I added another 100k lin potmeter to the unit to dial in the mids. This function really makes the pedal shine! In the lower mids setting it becomes a transparant drive pedal, on the higher mids setting it really cuts through the mix (tubescreamer like). Nice!!

One last thing I noticed is the 'clean interference loop' (Q5 - R21) that I put on a switch. I was expecting it to behave like a clean blend and making the pedal sounds fuller and more broad. But I was surprised to find out that switching this circuit in made the sound only worse. It lowers the output and makes the mids stand out more (a more focussed or edgy sound). Switching this circuit off really opened up the pedal and make it more broad sounding with nice lows and highs.

I dunno why this behaves like this. I can only guess a phase interference to make these sounds. I'm glad that I made it switchable!!

there a schematic for that pedal on this page:
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 7&p=107164

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 pm

pitch shifters are one of the best things to use in a feedback loop tho, i'd keep it!!

some good-for-noise, relatively easy to find cheap distortions: Danelectro FAB Tone, DOD Metal-X (same/similar to the rare DOD Corrosion), Boss ODB-3, DOD/Digitech Death Metal or Grunge

Great fuzz for noise: Behringer Super Fuzz (i mostly use mine as a clean boost tho the fuzz settings are great too and the guitar nerds online say it's actually better than the pedal it's a clone of), Ibanez FZ-7, Fuzz Factory (cheap clone kits are avaliable), Bazz Fuss (you can build one, so easy - http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html - I made several successfully using absolutely arbitrary component values)

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:11 am

timdrage wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 pm
pitch shifters are one of the best things to use in a feedback loop tho, i'd keep it!!
absolutely this!

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:24 am

P.S. in my experience most DOD pedals you will find probably don't work properly or sound 'wrong' or just somehow different from one to the next of the same model. They were the Behringer of their day quality wise :D and I think the electrolytic caps are getting a bit old. Still highly recommended but yeah... every DOD Death Metal i've owned has sounded completely different :D

moch

Post by moch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 am

i just bought more pedals because of this post.
the Pro Co RAT 2,DOD FX69 Grunge,Joyo Vintage Overdrive

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am

if you want mods for FX69 pedal
they are around here somewhere w/schematics
archived on one of the machines and/or drives

moch

Post by moch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 am

got my digitech synth wah. In the mail today and when i started playing with it i couldnt put it down. you can play with it for hours