My name is Oliver Tex and I make noise

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

WhiteWarlock

Re: My name is Oliver Tex and I make noise

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

https://www.last.fm/music/Nurse+With+Wound 88k
feel like have had this conversation before...
does your "noise analycism" computer program say
chance meeting a dissection table
is or isn't "noise"?
hmmm
very good
we scared the Original Poster enough that he fled for his life
questioning his entire current "noise" reality & future
keep up the good work!

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Thu May 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Everyone knows what noise is. Or do they? Can we in fact say that one man's noise is another teenager's music? Is noise in fact only an auditory phenomenon or does it extend far beyond this realm?

Luckily we have this fellow to school us in all things noise! Ontology, gnoseology, axiology, deontology, anthropology, semiology, eschatology. You name it, he's got it all!

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm

WTF
why does he look related to a "noise pop" band promoted by Haaretz
Girafot's (Giraffes in Hebrew)

Oy Vey!

jliat

Post by jliat » Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Hmm... Last.fm charts are far from perfect. True. And charts as a means to finding things out are more so. (Look who is running the USA) So no they are not reasonable, charts will show God exists, or once women shouldn't vote. Last.fm gets Noise wrong! Led Zeppelin are not heavy metal ….... now think about this. I mean neither are Deep Purple. As for Jazz – Frank Sinatra.

But all this nonsense is based on the idea that the truth is just what general people with internet access post... good luck and thanks for all the fish.

and though noise isnt music and anyone, or thing (thunder, waterfalls, bombs, stars, tigers...shrimps) can make it – i.e. is nature, maybe a degree is required to identify it, or else lets vote on what is real.

(even the wiki noise thing doesnt mention Wolf Eyes, The Rita, John Weise, Phil Blankeship, Richard Ramirez, Ron Lessard, Purient, Vomir...)

Led Fucking Zeppelin...

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm

jliat wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm
And charts as a means to finding things out are more so. (Look who is running the USA) So no they are not reasonable, charts will show God exists, or once women shouldn't vote.
Agreed. Democracy sucks. Once you let people make their own choices, they come up with something incredibly dumb. The decisions should be made by a circle of professional decision-makers, and the unwashed masses are to follow.

Although I couldn't help but notice an interesting thing about those charts. A lot of picks are way off. But check out the №1s. Merzbow - the archetypal noise artist, Iron Maiden - the archetypal heavy metal band, Miles Davis - the archetypal jazzman...

I was talking about this earlier. Nobody agrees on everything, but many agree on something. Core vs fringe artists in a genre.

The bigger the audience, the more disagreement between individual listeners. So the fringe grows, and the core shrinks. But it's still there. Last.fm gets Noise wrong, but somehow got its very core exactly right!

jliat

Post by jliat » Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 pm

melkobukva wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm
jliat wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm
And charts as a means to finding things out are more so. (Look who is running the USA) So no they are not reasonable, charts will show God exists, or once women shouldn't vote.
Agreed. Democracy sucks. Once you let people make their own choices, they come up with something incredibly dumb. The decisions should be made by a circle of professional decision-makers, and the unwashed masses are to follow.
I don't think particularly that democracy sucks. Neo Liberals may not like the kicking they are getting, but then they moved manufacturing to China... But you don't vote on who flies the plane or performs the heart bypass... and could save billions by a vote regarding the Higgs Boson or Dark Matter. When it comes to art things get tricky. So within post-modernity there has been a move to popularism. The Tate Gallery is a theme park for the middle class. Google 'Abstract Art' and see the results, you get nonsense, even impressionism, OK you get some Monets - “archetypal” - amongst the rest. One could say – quoting the philosopher Ray Brassier the internet, Last-FM included, has become “an orgy of stupidity”. I pointed out wiki missing a string of significant American Noise 'artists'....
melkobukva wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Although I couldn't help but notice an interesting thing about those charts. A lot of picks are way off. But check out the №1s. Merzbow - the archetypal noise artist, Iron Maiden - the archetypal heavy metal band, Miles Davis - the archetypal jazzman...

I was talking about this earlier. Nobody agrees on everything, but many agree on something. Core vs fringe artists in a genre.

The bigger the audience, the more disagreement between individual listeners. So the fringe grows, and the core shrinks. But it's still there. Last.fm gets Noise wrong, but somehow got its very core exactly right!
It picked Sonic Youth as the most significant, and non of Merzbow's Recordings. And as I said it missed Led Zeppelin. The Jazz thing too. The Archetypal Jazz artist Frank Sinatra, or Satchmo. Well firstly that's not helpful, John Cage famously nearly died by not differentiating a poisonous plant from an edible one. And one might want to argue if Merzbow is the archetype, or did he get well known by the use of Bondage. I guess The Beatles would chart well, and be right, but we are talking not about popular music, but a genre. (which can be studied?) I'll give you another example, Steven Hawking, maybe now as famous as Einstein but in a poll of physicists he was not in the top 20 of significant contributors to the science. So whilst he, and Merzbow popularized the genre, the likes of Vomir and The Rita (and others) “developed” HN and HNW.

So did the vox pop get Trump and Brexit exactly right? Maybe they got to the core of the issues, but was therefore the result right, and how did they get there, but knowing or by being fed propaganda.

I might once have said that a board like this would a good place to find out about noise, which is the motivation for the OP. I'm now not so sure. “There was no Gulf War” - “The absolute rule of thought is to give back the world as it was given to us – unintelligible. And, if possible, to render it a little more unintelligible.” - Jean Baudrillard.

“You Win.” - me.

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Sat May 19, 2018 5:01 am

jliat wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 pm
It picked Sonic Youth as the most significant
Nope. It picked Merzbow as the most significant.

And if you look at the 'harsh noise wall' tag...

Yep. Vomir, the archetypal harsh noise wall artist.

Last.fm seems to treat 'noise' as an umbrella term for all music where 'noisy' elements are prominent in the soundscape - harsh noise (Merzbow), noise rock (Sonic Youth), early industrial (Throbbing Gristle and Einstürzende Neubauten), even the banshee wails of Diamanda Galas. And then it has more precise genre labels, such as 'harsh noise' and 'HNW' which zero in on particular subsets of 'general noise', where you can see all the usual suspects (Vomir, The Rita).

That, of course, contradicts the concept of Noise, by which we mean Harsh Noise and HNW. So, while you already have a label on which the general public agrees, this is apperently not enough. The manifest destiny of the Noise Illuminati is to colonize the whole noise realm, indoctrinate the unintiated and purge the unclean tainted by rock, industrial and electronica. They have university degrees in cultural studies and philosophy of art, Great People Quotes, and monographs funded by government grants to justify that.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sat May 19, 2018 9:02 am

https://www.last.fm/music/Deathkey
This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace.
It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sat May 19, 2018 10:42 am

melkobukva wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:01 am

Last.fm seems to treat 'noise' as an umbrella term for all music where 'noisy' elements are prominent in the soundscape - harsh noise (Merzbow), noise rock (Sonic Youth), early industrial (Throbbing Gristle and Einstürzende Neubauten), even the banshee wails of Diamanda Galas. And then it has more precise genre labels, such as 'harsh noise' and 'HNW' which zero in on particular subsets of 'general noise', where you can see all the usual suspects (Vomir, The Rita).

That, of course, contradicts the concept of Noise, by which we mean Harsh Noise and HNW. So, while you already have a label on which the general public agrees, this is apperently not enough. The manifest destiny of the Noise Illuminati is to colonize the whole noise realm, indoctrinate the unintiated and purge the unclean tainted by rock, industrial and electronica. They have university degrees in cultural studies and philosophy of art, Great People Quotes, and monographs funded by government grants to justify that.
Well i'm not sure how you get those results, noise gave me soothing white noise.... nowhere using noise music, or harsh noise did i get anything like what you have posted.

As for the general public agreeing, i think in an early post you said that was not the case. And the idea that the general public even know of Vomir is .... well! HNW - the label was not mine - i think it was Sam's.

The last bit seems just a poke at some strawman. The noise "realm" as you say was made by the figures who coined the term. Since been taken over by failed musicians who want to talk about skill etc. And generally think that thinking is a bad thing?

I like the rant about "university degrees in cultural studies and philosophy of art, Great People Quotes, and monographs funded by government grants" - well i'm self funded, by the Larks Council and the National Pottery. But i'm sorry, without art schools, no Beatles, Eno, Rita or Merzbow…. etc. But hey i'm sure there of plenty of banjo playing rednecks who would agree with you..... :lol:

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 am

"banjo playing rednecks" tend having actual talent of some sort plus requires practice
not that they need creative talent merely copious repetition
art school doesn't actually have those "requirements" anymore in the "modern world"
completely another type of game takes place in that "realm"
you can shit on a piece of canvas
and with the right social connections you are elevated for being cutting edge modern "artiste"
thus "banjo playing rednecks" becomes a social propagated insult insinuating they must be inbred
who pushed this into collective social engineered consciousness and how and why?
"Modern Academia Industry" has become one of the biggest social manipulated exploitative farces in human history

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Sat May 19, 2018 12:28 pm

jliat wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:42 am
Well i'm not sure how you get those results, noise gave me soothing white noise....
Sorry, I don't understand what results you are talking about. The screenshots? They are from Last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/tag/noise
https://www.last.fm/tag/harsh+noise+wall
jliat wrote:
As for the general public agreeing, i think in an early post you said that was not the case.
Agreeing statistically, i.e. just enough people agree.
jliat wrote:
The noise "realm" as you say was made by the figures who coined the term.
Does applying a label to something create it? Sometimes it seems so. An art school student takes a dump on the canvas, labels it as an "art piece", and it becomes one. Before the label was applied this piece of art did not exist. It was just a pile of poo.

But... when Oliver Tex points at his Soundcloud and labels its contents as 'noise', he is reprimanded. The Noise Experts Who Know Better disapprove. So he should Shut Up and Listen as they school him. For an external observer this looks very much like a power/hierarchy type of thing akin to what Feyerabend wrote about.
jliat wrote:
well i'm self funded, by the Larks Council and the National Pottery. But i'm sorry, without art schools, no Beatles, Eno, Rita or Merzbow…. etc.
My rant was directed not at you personally, but rather at some university people you've been quoting. You know, philosophers who are audiences not creators, that kind of people. Art schools are fine, they sometimes teach useful stuff. On the other hand, humanities douchebags who appropriate, reinterpret and theoretize counterculture are not fine at all. They are parasitic worms.
jliat wrote:
But hey i'm sure there of plenty of banjo playing rednecks who would agree with you..... :lol:
Good. We can have some moonshine, do dot to dot pictures, and then go TP prof. Hainge's house.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sat May 19, 2018 12:45 pm

The ratchet is set in motion by the sweeping rotation of a narrow wooden frame with a wooden spring leaf around a hand-held axle to which a gear is attached. The spring leaf rattles around the stationary gear and generates depending on the rotational speed a loud, chattering noise. Ratchets usually have one to three parallel wooden leaf springs on top of each other.

The frame of a rotary ratchet is made of birch wood, the toothed roller made of beech wood. The roller is actuated by a lateral crank. The thin blades of the ratchet are made of spruce wood and produce the sound when turning from tooth to tooth.

roman historians called the music of the norse/dutch/deutch(germania) "noise"

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun May 20, 2018 1:24 am

Last-Fm the product of Michael Breidenbruecker and friends made a nice profit ($280 million) selling to CBS... which of course makes it a very reliable source of information- unlike as you say -
“humanities douchebags” … parasitic on something you call “counter culture” - That would be Microsoft and CBS / Sony?

So noise-

Intro a quote from wiki - and bombarded by ads!
OK in HNW we got The Rita and The Cherry point? and again some i'm not sure of?
And yet more ads...

The top tracks in noise = Top tracks - all by Eftos? Who I could find very little information about. Genre Dance/electronic -

the searches often looping back to Last-FM.

But he is on Discogs – 2 CDs one his own label? the other Warner Music Group... now i'm not sure but it seems strange that these are top noise tracks? Of course companies like Warner Music Group, are respectable “purchased in March 2004 by Edgar Bronfman, Jr. and a group of equity firms...” who are never parasitic on anything or anyone. - It just gets better -”On January 21, 2011, Bronfman was found guilty in French court of insider trading as Vivendi chief and received a 15-month suspended sentence and a €5m fine. Considering the jail sentences handed out to other executives for similar convictions, BNN reporter Michael Kane told CTV News "The fact that the judge suspended the jail time could be looked at as getting off lightly, “ - So very counterculture! Very much a contributor and not at all parasitic.. hahaha.

As for my remark about 'banjo playing rednecks' the pejorative cliche was intended to
make the point that likewise is "university degrees in cultural studies and philosophy of art,
Great People Quotes, and monographs funded by government grants" The quotes from Nietzsche and Deleuze are because they were more than audiences but actually creators themselves, and influential within the plastic arts and music. Ray Brassier has actually played live on a least 2 occasions, though he doesn't consider himself a 'musician'

"humanities douchebags who appropriate, reinterpret and theoretize counterculture are not fine at all. They are parasitic worms." (salary of what 30k – 50k unlike Bronfman,)

Such remarks are so extreme they seem more about envy that simple prejudice. I mean where does this 'counter culture' come from? In 1968 from students and humanities douchebags.. they were also responsible for the promotion of queer theory... another parasitic practice against counter-culture?

WhiteWarlock's ""Modern Academia Industry" has become one of the biggest social manipulated
exploitative farces in human history" - maybe - and one of Last FM's ads was for Microsoft! And we've seen above I hope the real social manipulators... true 'Modern Academia Industry' is a justified criticism in some but nowhere near all academia... but its a mere shadow copy...

This is the age we live in. I'm not defending humanities – and there is certainly in the UK a dumbing down, but was a result of the commercialization of universities – questionable – but not in the same league as the Bronfmans of the world... and one which the academic douchebags were often opposed to. SMT awarding themselves huge salaries and forcing up student numbers and results by simple blackmail. “If you don't recruit the numbers and they don't pass you will be out of a job.” (this from first hand experience- but I was never a humanities douchebag –a computer science douchebag...)

and the student dumping on canvas, nope that sort of thing was done back in the 70s. The 'context' of art made by Duchamp in the 20s?, and the calling anything art making it art by Don Judd around 1970. Since that time art and conceptual art has undertaken a radical change. Like much else!

= Post Modernism. Typified by art of mere sensation We could blame Deleuze in part - ' art as
affect, not of concept'

Some humanities douchebags are actually pointing out this crisis. And yes some are parasitic, but its a question of degree these days IMO.

But returning to the topic – no I think Last-FM cannot be regarded as a reliable source re music or noise. And no calling something art doesn't make it art, it actually ends art as it once was. But that was back in the 1970s and not on topic. And the OP's music wasn't noise. A mixture – industrial, trippy space synth etc.

Finally – i've nothing against rednecks, look who is talking here, but yes I hate banjos.

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Sun May 20, 2018 5:02 am

jliat wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:24 am
Last-Fm the product of Michael Breidenbruecker and friends made a nice profit ($280 million) selling to CBS... which of course makes it a very reliable source of information
Of course companies like Warner Music Group, are respectable “purchased in March 2004 by Edgar Bronfman, Jr. and a group of equity firms...” who are never parasitic on anything or anyone.
Are you suggesting that there is a corporate conspiracy to deprive the people of true noise? Despite being a self-admitted tinfoilhatter loon, I find it hard to buy. Otherwise, we'd have to admit that Masami Akita is probably in on it, since CBS is peddling him as the Noise Artist №1.

Maybe there's a simpler explanation, for instance:
melkobukva wrote:
What's the top 'harsh noise wall' track at the moment? An obscure HNW project from Siberia.
jliat wrote:
Such remarks are so extreme they seem more about envy that simple prejudice. I mean where does this 'counter culture' come from? In 1968 from students and humanities douchebags.. they were also responsible for the promotion of queer theory... another parasitic practice against counter-culture?
Envy for what? A measly 30k salary? Prejudice against what? The humanities? Why, I have no problems with humanities or academia in general. I'm just annoyed with failed researchers who use other people's creative efforts as a pretext for their bullshit spinning. Like you are seemingly annoyed with failed musicians who want to talk about skill etc.

I record a vacuum cleaner with a contact mic because I'm stuck on a desert island, and all my Anal Cunt records have drowned. Some douchebag publishes a paper entitled "Masculinity in Context of Musical Deprivation in Postcolonial Maritime Spaces: Towards the Deconstruction of Pornovacuum Islandcore". Great job, grab a cookie and fuck you very much.

Where does 'counter culture' come from? You tell me, I wasn't around in 1968. Probably Adorno, McLuhan, Horkheimer, Lukács, Marcuse, Habermas, Brecht, Artaud, Breton, Sartre, Ortega y Gasset, Duchamp, Russolo and Marinetti, Debord, Vaneigem, that's my guess. Honestly, how can you seriously compare any of those to people who publish things like Neoliberal Noise: Attali, Foucault, & the Biopolitics of Uncool, or Bring the noise: Hypermasculinity in heavy metal and rap, or Extreme noise terror: Punk rock and the aesthetics of badness, or Reverberations: The Philosophy, Aesthetics and Politics of Noise, or Apoliteic music: Neo-folk, martial industrial and 'metapolitical fascism' and pretend it's valuable intellectual work.
jliat wrote:
but not in the same league as the Bronfmans of the world...
Corporate CEOs are worse, yes. In no way does it justify the academic charlatans in humanities.

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun May 20, 2018 6:20 am

melkobukva wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:02 am

Are you suggesting that there is a corporate conspiracy to deprive the people of true noise?
No i'm saying that there is such a thing as corporate conspiracy, and its seems odd to me (at least) that the top tracks you posted in Last FM Noise category were by eftos – electro dance? and for sale. I doubt if Masami Akita is any more in on it than Picasso or Matisse which Bond street galleries display their drawings next to unknown artists work which is for sale. That then someone might buy – eftos in the belief that was noise... and think that is what Merzbow probably sounds like too. Worse, anyone pointing out that was not the case would have “an external observer” telling them “ a label on which the general public agrees” - that noise is eftos is wrong - are Illuminati and parasitic worms...douchebags … 'philosophers who are audiences not creators,...' but obviously not Feyerabend, despite him being a philosopher of science and not a scientist.
melkobukva wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:02 am
Maybe there's a simpler explanation, for instance:
melkobukva wrote:
But why not look to see Fuck Buttons promoted there, and think – that seems odd, like eftos appearing. But surly CBS and Warner Media are to be trusted?
melkobukva wrote:

What's the top 'harsh noise wall' track at the moment? An obscure HNW project from Siberia.
Second is this piece of HNW

melkobukva wrote:
Envy for what? A measly 30k salary? Prejudice against what? The humanities? Why, I have no problems with humanities or academia in general. I'm just annoyed with failed researchers who use other people's creative efforts as a pretext for their bullshit spinning. Like you are seemingly annoyed with failed musicians who want to talk about skill etc.

I record a vacuum cleaner with a contact mic because I'm stuck on a desert island, and all my Anal Cunt records have drowned. Some douchebag publishes a paper entitled "Masculinity in Context of Musical Deprivation in Postcolonial Maritime Spaces: Towards the Deconstruction of Pornovacuum Islandcore". Great job, grab a cookie and fuck you very much.
I'm certainly not annoyed by any musicians. And they are free to talk about skill, but it was generally considered not relevant to noise. Maybe its like a gentrification of the genre by musos.. and who are these failed researchers - Feyerabend? I like your desert island story though, one which has recording equipment and vacuum cleaners. And the fictional douchebag publishes ..
melkobukva wrote:
Where does 'counter culture' come from? You tell me, I wasn't around in 1968. Probably Adorno, McLuhan, Horkheimer, Lukács, Marcuse, Habermas, Brecht, Artaud, Breton, Sartre, Ortega y Gasset, Duchamp, Russolo and Marinetti, Debord, Vaneigem, that's my guess. Honestly, how can you seriously compare any of those to people who publish things like Neoliberal Noise: Attali, Foucault, & the Biopolitics of Uncool, or Bring the noise: Hypermasculinity in heavy metal and rap, or Extreme noise terror: Punk rock and the aesthetics of badness, or Reverberations: The Philosophy, Aesthetics and Politics of Noise, or Apoliteic music: Neo-folk, martial industrial and 'metapolitical fascism' and pretend it's valuable intellectual work.
You've given a long list,and i'm not home – but there are some choice quotes from Adorno rubbishing Black Jazz, and Negative Dialectics is not so easy a read. So OK – real music – serialism is FINE and GOOD and worth the study, but the culture of Blacks and the general uninformed public – popular music is just scum. That's the argument. And why is rap or punk not amenable to study. You may throw the claim of the writing is deliberately obscure, I refer you to Adorno... for starters..
You seem to take these writers on noise as somehow a personal affront.

melkobukva wrote:
Corporate CEOs are worse, yes. In no way does it justify the academic charlatans in humanities.
Then why attack academics in general but let the corporate organisations off, when i've shown that they sell electronic Dance as Noise and HNW. But please show how the list is not valuable intellectual work. Is the study of Schoenberg OK, but not the Nihilism of Vomir, or political motivations in Mattin and Brassier?