CB (HAM) Radio in noise setup??

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Rambo aka Rambo

CB (HAM) Radio in noise setup??

Post by Rambo aka Rambo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:51 pm

I recently became the owner, by way of inheritance, of a fine teaberry cb radio. I'm going to explore how it works, but has anyone else used one of these in a noise setup before? or have any idea what kind of role it might play? it has a "squelch" knob if that means anything to anyone...

newfangled

Post by newfangled » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:12 pm

Gert-Jan Prins' setup mainly consists of rewired radios in feedback loops, and he gets a really impressive range of sounds from em.
http://www.gjp.info/

i know that radios can be rewired to create some good distortion and ringmod-like effects. but that's only a good idea if its safe to modify (battery operated) and you understand how the parts work.

Soulsick666

Post by Soulsick666 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:34 am

I fed an old radio into a pedal chain on my first tape. I think it sounds good. In the end it's nothing more thana a white noise generator with a bit more variety

Adsit

Post by Adsit » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:58 am

I am sort of a radio geek. Got a ham radio license and all. Do not transmit with out an antenna. The squelch knob is to cut off the level of background noise (like a noise gate pedal) If you transmit close to an amp, it comes thru with out plugging the speaker out into anything. Nice howling sound. Really pisses off other people when they are performing and you key the thing up and bleed over the PA. RF energy is a fun thing.
Dang Ol'

Soulsick666

Post by Soulsick666 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:16 am

Yeah I really like listening to the noise inbetween the radio channels. It's kind of fascinating. Especially when broken voice bits come through

Rambo aka Rambo

Post by Rambo aka Rambo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:52 pm

That is a pretty interesting thing to do. I also did a similar thing while on a museum tour. They handed out little recievers with earphones for listening to the tour guide which made some pretty cool feedback and crackling/fuzz noises. Walking to different areas would intensify the noise sometimes.

Soulsick666

Post by Soulsick666 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:03 pm

like an endless sea of static rain. EVP is pretty cool too

Adsit

Post by Adsit » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:47 am

Yeah I like the wicked sounds you get on A.M. radio when you go under powerlines.

Or if you have a radio (c.b. or shortwave) that has SSB on it and get the ossilating tones.

EVP's are really cool, just bug me out.
Dang Ol'

flies

Post by flies » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:38 pm

the squelch knob has something to do with suppressing signals that are further away from your selected frequency. The squelch (switch? i forget) knob on my shortwave radio doesn't do jack shit.

MKULTRA

Re:

Post by MKULTRA » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:01 am

Soulsick666 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:16 am
Yeah I really like listening to the noise inbetween the radio channels. It's kind of fascinating. Especially when broken voice bits come through
This, a thousand times this.
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

WhiteWarlock

Re: CB (HAM) Radio in noise setup??

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 am

scanners are awesome
plus
you can modify gate output from scanner sequencer

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:22 am

Websdr is great for exploring these sounds even if you don't have the hardware

Saw on Facebook someone designing a module to connect a CB mic to eurorack :)

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 am

With older equipment you don't even need the transmitter. Hearing aids and stuff have / had a T setting for telephone, where they would pickup the speakers magnetism rather than the sound it made. PA companies developed T-Loop systems, which are basically just a power amp, and a coil of wire, you run the wire around your venue and anyone inside with a hearing aid set on T will pick it up. It also got picked up by unshielded equipment that didn't normally pick up such things.

Long story short, if you have an amp that will drive into a coil of wire without frying the amp, much fun can be had. :mrgreen:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:14 am

Some of those CB mics want a voltage across the element, others can be punched right into a signal path with a simple change of connector.

I guess you could say that about ANY microphone, really.

Ghost note in RF demodulation is a different subject. Tons of fun out there. EMF flying around everywhere, tune into what you want. I've some RF test rigs that can act as a modulator, I just haven't had the time/space to set them up to explore yet.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 am

is there some way of making CB radio signals playing through coils
within proximity of signal
without being at all directly wired or powered?
seen/heard in before with Taxi CB signals in Chicago