noise production resource and discussion thread

Talk about noise music. Reviews, rants, whatever.

Moderator: xome

joshenjammer

noise production resource and discussion thread

Post by joshenjammer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:57 am

hey folks, I don't post here much but I lurk on occasion.

I was wanting to start an actual discussion thread on noise production techniques- I am NOT starting a "how do I make noise, what do I need?" thread. I am well acquainted with gear and whatnot so I'm not looking for the standard "just mess with feedback loops and buy a mixer!" responses that I see everywhere, I have that covered. I do not want to be spoonfed, I know what I'm doing here to some degree already.

I wanted to make a thread on actual production techniques-- and by that I mean mixing methodologies, sound design, DAWs, plugins, and whatever else you fine folks want to talk about. I have done a bit of research online trying to find a similar resource thread but most of what I've been able to find is the aforementioned well-meaning but uninformative tips-for-beginners type things. I wanted to create a resource for actual production methodologies and techniques for sharing tricks and experience as it relates to noise music, because I know from experience that production for noise and production for most other music are totally different animals.

joshenjammer

Re: noise production resource and discussion thread

Post by joshenjammer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:06 pm

as far as my own input, this isn't going to be super technical or esoteric, I don't claim to be an expert. but I may as well contribute to my own thread.

Variety of sound plugins have been essential to me as far as mixing and sound design go, especially the "RESCUE MKII" stereo-widener. tasteful use can really fill out your mixes. the "Ferric" tape emulator and "BootEQ" plugins are also great go-tos for me. PLUS they're all free.
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but these are great and I would recommend them to anyone.

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:12 pm

pretty much anything can be used for noise making, doesnt even need to be musical equipment, so maybe giving a little detail about what you do with such and such to get the sound you want, like what is the RESCUE MKII? how do you use it and why?

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 pm

good method for getting some quality results in this thread is using "Show & Tell"
people create noise track
post it here
while fresh in memory
describe their process and list tools plus any anecdotes
merely making suggestion
that may generate more interactive posting
via creating active constructive feedback systems

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:19 pm

i use a death metal in every track i can, i move it around the sound chain until i find the sweet spot, not a great pedal but has that noise cred, must be paired with other pedals to sound good imo

joshenjammer

Post by joshenjammer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:20 pm

In the vein of what WhiteWarlock said, here's my EP on bandcamp. critique my mix. what can I do better? what did I do right?

https://ihlyatt.bandcamp.com/releases

and as far as gear and technique, I record guitar-based noise with effects pedals through multiple amps. generally I use cardioid mics (notably the SM57, of course) to mic each amp and then mic the room with an omni-directional condenser mic or something of that sort.
killing raven sun wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:12 pm
pretty much anything can be used for noise making, doesnt even need to be musical equipment, so maybe giving a little detail about what you do with such and such to get the sound you want, like what is the RESCUE MKII? how do you use it and why?
I use the DAW Reaper, mainly. as far as outboard goes I use a fuckton of guitar effects, notably a DBA fuzz war and a mid-fi demo tape fuzz. I also have a few self-oscillating fuzzes such as a devi ever atomizer, a kleissonic screaming skull, and a mcneece mayhem. I use a yamaha g100 amp with Fender bassman cabs and a musicman 2x12.

and to answer the question about rescuemkii, its a plugin that essentially makes your tracks sound bigger and wider. you can increase the volume of the mid or sides of the stereo field, and increase the "depth" which just makes it sound... better. not really sure how to explain that one. but yeah its a great plugin and blasting a track with that shit can make it sound massive. I tend to abuse this plugin.

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:34 pm

joshenjammer wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:20 pm
and to answer the question about rescuemkii, its a plugin that essentially makes your tracks sound bigger and wider. you can increase the volume of the mid or sides of the stereo field, and increase the "depth" which just makes it sound... better. not really sure how to explain that one. but yeah its a great plugin and blasting a track with that shit can make it sound massive. I tend to abuse this plugin.
yeah, dont abuse the expanders, unless you want to muddy up the mix, maybe on certain parts you can blast it but using it on the whole mix may just wash out your interesting details, plus digital ones can add artifacts, this is where listening to your track on different systems with different speakers may be needed to make sure it sounds like what you want

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:45 pm

joshenjammer wrote:
In the vein of what WhiteWarlock said, here's my EP on bandcamp. critique my mix. what can I do better? what did I do right?

https://ihlyatt.bandcamp.com/releases
first, it sounds like one session split into several tracks, not that i mind just pointing that out, i personally wouldnt mind just one long piece, but the choice is yours

second, theres that expansion, it really defines your sound, not sure i like that

last, just skipped through on my phone, but the underlying sound was good, having said that, i hate most guitar noise, its boring and sounds like guitar, i like either more texture or just solid constant noise

overall the energy was tepid, for an emotional purge i expect more emotion

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:47 pm

joshenjammer wrote:
what did I do right?
you did it your way, thats what

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm

back in the Industrial days when worked at studio in Hyde Park Chicago
ultimate final mix test was always
driving around listening to mix on the car stereo tape player
beware of VST distortion/artifacting
also
could just be me
yet not really hearing any type of panning on your stereo tracks
when you have droney soundscapes panning really creates special depth effect
+1 on noticing it is hacked up recording
the transitions are the dead give away
there's nothing wrong with long tracks
work on those "transitions"

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:50 pm

here is an emotional track imo

https://wastedbaby.bandcamp.com/

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:53 pm

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm
back in the Industrial days when worked at studio in Hyde Park Chicago
ultimate final mix test was always
driving around listening to mix on the car stereo tape player
yep, car stereo>boom box>home stereo>headphones>monitors, use em if you got em, this really improved my recordings when i started doing it

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:54 pm

reminds me of some stuff used to make way back when only had guitar, my yamaha CS5, ibanez hd1500, midiverbII, and protools442
(and purposely avoided midi & drum machines for specific "drone noise" project)
those trax ended up on some noise comp in the 90s
so have personal bias
reminiscent for me
that overloaded delay gain gets pretty crunchy
Last edited by WhiteWarlock on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshenjammer

Post by joshenjammer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm

thanks for the feedback. saying that the expander defines my sound is unfortunately accurate, that is a crutch that I rely on too often and that I need to move past.

and the complaint about it being tepid is somewhat expected, admittedly it's a lot more ambient than noise. It was more just me immersing myself and forgetting about everything than a "purge" in the way of visceral screaming or anything.

thanks!

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:02 pm

joshenjammer wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm
thanks for the feedback. saying that the expander defines my sound is unfortunately accurate, that is a crutch that I rely on too often and that I need to move past.

and the complaint about it being tepid is somewhat expected, admittedly it's a lot more ambient than noise. It was more just me immersing myself and forgetting about everything than a "purge" in the way of visceral screaming or anything.

thanks!
now i didnt complain about it being tepid, just saying it lacks punch imo, a catharsis doesnt need to be violent, it can be thoughtful and measured, but as you say its somewhat ambient with the room mic flattening out the dynamics maybe