Flangers, phasers, choruses for noise?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

GROSS

Flangers, phasers, choruses for noise?

Post by GROSS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:50 am

As I can see now, the most useful effect pedals for noise are distortions, delays, envelope filters and some other.

But what about reverbs, choruses, flangers, phasers, tremolos. Are they useless and just waste of money for noise, or they can make your sound unique? If they are usefull, what pedals can you recommend? Should I buy quality stuff like Boss phasers, flangers and so on, or Behringer ones are good enough? Maybe I should look for "crazy" effects, like Ibanez chorus/flanger? If so, what pedals can craze up your sound?

s.p.i.n.

Re: Flangers, phasers, choruses for noise?

Post by s.p.i.n. » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:52 am

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 am

There is no such thing as "useless" in noise. I mean, it's all equally useless. And noise in general is a complete waste of money. I'm pretty certain at this point that it is, at least culturally speaking, nothing more than a diversion for bitter incels, pretentious art students, burned-out indie rockers and bombed-out acid casualties.

For what it's worth, you can get some extra mileage out of just about any pedal circuit if you are willing to modify it through component switching or circuit bending. And, depending on where they're placed and how they're used, modulation pedals can behave in ways you might not expect. It's just a matter of how they are made to interact with the other equipment around them.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 am

The Verbzilla is an important part of my own set up, it's really great solo in a feedback loop.

I think it was Moisturizer (Probably not) that has a release that's almost entirely flangers. I've personally found flangers, phasers and choruses to be pretty dependant on what you put into them when it comes to harsh noise, but for ambient stuff a chorus is really helpful.

Like 1/2 Dead says, modifying time modulating pedals can really open them up and give you incredibly unique sounds. Open one up, put a battery in it and poke around the circuit with a wire. The Arion range are perfect for bending, especially the stereo phaser. Mine has over thirty switches on it ranging from tone generation to really compressed distortion.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 am

Standard implementation of flange/phase/chorus superimposes a very periodic change to the effect that has a tendency to grab ones ears "by the balls" and then typically say nothing.

This has resulted in a somewhat historical position of derision, though there are plenty of workarounds to explore.

I have an old rack delay that has a VCO input (for the repeat clock) and that can be fun to dial up short delay times with higher repeat counts (AKA flange) and let the VCO input rage with some audio instead of a standard periodic sine wave (AKA LFO). But even then, it's hard to not paint myself into a corner with the root sound type.

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:42 am

s.p.i.n. wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:52 am
Thanks for the idea. But Behringer somehow doesn't have reverb and reviews weren't so good. So I found some pedal, which in my country known as Invasion ME100. Pretty decent pedal, super cheap, with a lot of functions, in metal case, with reverb and even EQ. So f*ck all these expensive separare effect pedals. This is good enough. The only major drawback is clicking in tremolo while lows and mids are engaged.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am

Are they useless and just waste of money for noise, or they can make your sound unique?
Yes.

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:33 pm

timdrage wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am
Are they useless and just waste of money for noise, or they can make your sound unique?
Yes.
+/- 1
:doh:

GROSS

Post by GROSS » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:25 am

UPDATE.

I've tried some modulation pedals. First, cheap multi-fx, then, boss flanger, phaser and chorus. But they wasn't crazy enough. So I just found two great used pedals - EHX Electric Mistress (Flanger and Chorus) and EHX Flanger Hoax (Phaser). Craziest modulation pedals I ever met. EHX pedals are badass.

You can listen me doing some noise with them + octave-distortion, bass-overdrive and some eq: https://soundcloud.com/grossnoise/modulation-noise

inkblot

Post by inkblot » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Honestly, it's not a matter of what you use, it's more how you use it. A phaser, chorus or flanger with a less gain-y approach and/or is more focused on something like blues can easily be solved by putting a fuzz or distortion after it. If you're really concerned with what to use, just get a multi-fx, although that's more up to you (I rather wouldn't use one lol)

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Cheap multi fx pedals are great, because their dumb ass algorithms tend to freak out in all sorts of hilarious ways. The trade-off is of course craploads of aliasing and generally messed up frequency spectrum. Which can be a bad thing or a good thing depending on your goals.

JoeTheStache

Post by JoeTheStache » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Reverbs are great. I have a Recover Effects Cutting Room Floor (Stutter/Reverb) and a Behringer Reverb Machine (same as Verbzilla) and i love them. I also have a Behringer Echo Machine which is great as well.
I need to get another flanger. I sold the amazing one i had as i was after something else and now i regret it. I had a Subdecay Starlight DLX. It has tons of options and shapes to choose from and also has envelope filter options (but it's also like $300-400)
I need a better phaser, i just have the shitty green boss phaser. That EHX Flanger Hoax really has my attention and has for a minute tho.