NIMB & Harsh Noise

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

cracklehunter
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by cracklehunter » Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 am
Image
is it really just creating basic opamp feedback loops as OSC w/FX units?
have done it by accident before yet always fast on faders/mute
have reason for asking plus does anyone have example block diagrams
contemplating utilizing as generators in some designs since reading your NIMB post
agree with slap compressor on output>input for cranking noise floor method
you can probably grab bunch of Boss CS pedal cheap
they are fucking noise generators as it is before doing mods
Image
I better get one then. Also I was thinking maybe use all the effectors at the output of mixer main output and exclude them from the mixer feedback loop. Just thinking.

cracklehunter
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by cracklehunter » Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 am
crochambeau wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 am
WhiteWarlock wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 am

is it really just creating basic opamp feedback loops as OSC w/FX units?
Yup. From a purist standpoint we're just looking at the preamp block feeding the EQ stack and summing section on back to the input forming up a manual oscillator with poor steady state level control. Once FX are in play I tend to think it's no longer "no input", but either side of this unimportant argument has valid points.
But what about the connecting cables? Teflon jacketed? Woven or spiral wrap shield? OFC?
Know any artist who uses damaged cables to create noise?

User avatar
Bipolar Fucking Joe
Posts: 5209
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:55 am

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am

I reckon a distortion would just give you more squarewave, but I never tried a compressor in a feedback loop by itself. If I wasn't so lazy I'd give it a go.

User avatar
WhiteWarlock
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 am

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by WhiteWarlock » Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am

hmm maybe eye will try NIMB experiment with the old mackie 1202 & some various pedals
using FX send for pedal input
pedal output for channel input
that way it's easy recording off the main outputs
Boss CS3 Boss DS1 Rat Soviet Bigmuff
distortion/fuzz should squarewave signal like you said
when have some of that mythical extra time for new experiments
anything with extra gain stages should probably work
even another basic preamp

cracklehunter
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by cracklehunter » Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 pm

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am
hmm maybe eye will try NIMB experiment with the old mackie 1202 & some various pedals
using FX send for pedal input
pedal output for channel input
that way it's easy recording off the main outputs
Boss CS3 Boss DS1 Rat Soviet Bigmuff
distortion/fuzz should squarewave signal like you said
when have some of that mythical extra time for new experiments
anything with extra gain stages should probably work
even another basic preamp
Is Ibanez Black Noise a good choice for thick noise compared to Boss DS1? And also how does it work if DigiTech Grunge is added into the signal chain?

User avatar
crochambeau
Posts: 2751
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:48 pm
Location: earth.
Contact:

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by crochambeau » Wed May 23, 2018 5:37 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am
I reckon a distortion would just give you more squarewave, but I never tried a compressor in a feedback loop by itself. If I wasn't so lazy I'd give it a go.
I love planting a 3630 in a feedback loop, you can do some damage with ratio, threshold, attack, release, and level... not to mention the ducking function of the sidechain.

User avatar
WhiteWarlock
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 am

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by WhiteWarlock » Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 pm

DigiTech Grunge is added into the signal chain?
thanks for reminding me that eye even have one of those "Grunge" pedals buried somewhere
first series... paid like $10... purple?
modified it ages ago soon as got hands on that pedal via craigslist

cracklehunter
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by cracklehunter » Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 pm

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 pm
DigiTech Grunge is added into the signal chain?
thanks for reminding me that eye even have one of those "Grunge" pedals buried somewhere
first series... paid like $10... purple?
modified it ages ago soon as got hands on that pedal via craigslist
:D

cracklehunter
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by cracklehunter » Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm

crochambeau wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:37 am
Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am
I reckon a distortion would just give you more squarewave, but I never tried a compressor in a feedback loop by itself. If I wasn't so lazy I'd give it a go.
I love planting a 3630 in a feedback loop, you can do some damage with ratio, threshold, attack, release, and level... not to mention the ducking function of the sidechain.
What's a 3630?

User avatar
WhiteWarlock
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 am

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by WhiteWarlock » Wed May 23, 2018 11:32 pm

Image
standard Alesis Stereo Compressor single space rack from the early/mid 90's...
do the "THAT VCA" mod & beef up PS
plus add switch for gate bypass
noisey gate circuits...................................
makes big improvement on those "despised" units
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/b ... essor-mods
some people love them some people hate them
used to need having one or more working around for protecting pa rigs during events
started using them when they came out
proved extremely handy on all sorts of things for years
until could afford better compressors
most of us probably have at least one hiding somewhere in a rack
good inexpensive anymore entry level stereo compressor for learning compression/limiting/gating
way better with mods
Obviously it is probably ideal for NIMB way more than compressor pedal

cracklehunter
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Re: NIMB & Harsh Noise

Post by cracklehunter » Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 am

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:32 pm
Image
standard Alesis Stereo Compressor single space rack from the early/mid 90's...
do the "THAT VCA" mod & beef up PS
plus add switch for gate bypass
noisey gate circuits...................................
makes big improvement on those "despised" units
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/b ... essor-mods
some people love them some people hate them
used to need having one or more working around for protecting pa rigs during events
started using them when they came out
proved extremely handy on all sorts of things for years
until could afford better compressors
most of us probably have at least one hiding somewhere in a rack
good inexpensive anymore entry level stereo compressor for learning compression/limiting/gating
way better with mods
Obviously it is probably ideal for NIMB way more than compressor pedal
Okay. That's a good one.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests