Avoiding gear loss

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

zvilt

Avoiding gear loss

Post by zvilt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 pm

Good day to you.

During my less responsible days, I lost a lot of amps, sold a lot of valuable things for little money and broke a lot of stuff.
These days, I'm trying to cut down on losses and keep my gear in good shape.
Let's suppose I fed my mixer into a feedback loop. Is it not very easy to blow my speakers up? Is this what happens if I turn the faders up? I need to avoid that. How do I avoid that?

fire

Re: Avoiding gear loss

Post by fire » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:40 am

zvilt wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 pm
Good day to you.

During my less responsible days, I lost a lot of amps, sold a lot of valuable things for little money and broke a lot of stuff.
These days, I'm trying to cut down on losses and keep my gear in good shape.
fear, its the mindkiller
zvilt wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 pm
Let's suppose I fed my mixer into a feedback loop. Is it not very easy to blow my speakers up? Is this what happens if I turn the faders up? I need to avoid that. How do I avoid that?
mixers dont blow speakers, amps do
broadcasting from the post-internet wasteland

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 am

Is it not very easy to blow my speakers up?
Yes, it is not very easy.

In my 18 years of feedback and clipping I have destroyed my gear ONLY by deliberately throwing it across the room or messing up while circuitbending it.

If you are feeding the mixer into a PA or hi-fi amp just make sure the amp input is not clipping and you will be fine. If in doubt, go into the red as much as you like on your mixer channels but keep the main mix in the green/yellow.

When playing live, sound technicians usually like a quite low mixer output to their main desk.

Guitar amps are made to distort, be reasonable and you should be OK.

Don't put a high powered speaker output (eg from a guitar amp or power amp) into a line input, and you should be OK.

At my gig on saturday one of the subs caught on proper, actual-flames-inside-the-cabinet fire, ...but that was before i even played. :(

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 am

timdrage wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 am

At my gig on saturday one of the subs caught on proper, actual-flames-inside-the-cabinet fire, ...but that was before i even played. :(
Are you saying it committed suicide rather than endure your signal? :lol:

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:55 am

jliat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:43 am
Kids today!

I need to rip the VHS of me nearly blowing my hand off trying to ignite a homemade stage pyrotechnic I made for a backyard show back in the early 90's