Pharmakon Setup

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:52 pm

some will stick around, most wont. eventually it'll all go quiet again.
Also most of them will end up buying Korg Volcas and Teenage Engineering POs and end up leaving us alone to make bad techno instead

noise scene = loch ness monster
haha YES

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:01 pm

yeah and thats fine too, i think a big problem with the noise scene and scenes in general is the weight attached to someone being perceived as "selling out"...

who gives a fuck if joe schmoe makes some noise shit for six months then buys volcas and fucks off? i think we all do this cos we want to and in some way it makes us happy so if it's not the fix someone else needs to feel good then they're better off going and making techno or whatever it is that makes them fucking happy.

its also super weird to me a lot of scene guys also act like techno just happened... i mean fuck i'm old and i've been listening to shit like juan atkins since a lot of you guys were probably in kindergarden. i think the difference now is a lot of these scenes used to run parallel and now thanks to the internet there's a lot of "bleed" and people are a lot more aware of other shit outside their spheres of interest.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm

who gives a fuck if joe schmoe makes some noise shit for six months then buys volcas and fucks off?
Not me, i'm glad :D would just be nice if they at least stick around long enough to read the helpful replies to their hit and run HOW DO I SHOT WEB gear threads :)

Also my criticisms of noise dudes going techno is not at all about selling out, I agree with what you say, my problem is more when they act like they've just invented it and put out some boring 4/4 stuff made with 10x more expensive synths than most 'genre' dance music, but somehow end up sounding less 'extreme'/noisy, and are absolutely less 'experimental', than whole subgenres of stuff that's regularly played at large raves rather than to a handful of Wire readers nursing £5 craft beers at Cafe Oto or whatever :D

hahah sorry, off-topic cynical rant

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:22 pm

word yeah my last post wasn't intended to bitch you out or anything but it's a subject i think of a lot cos i kind of got into noise from listening to wax trax dance industrial shit, revco and detroit techno which i guess is kind of the opposite way shit tends to flow nowadays.

if i ever seem angry just chalk it up to the fact i swear a lot [and i really do, in real life, just way way too much] cos the internet is definitely not something i take very seriously.

and as far as the "how do i" threads, i figure it comes with the territory... i mean it is called fuckin' noiseguide after all. plus we all started somewhere.

when i started playing guitar i wanted to sound like sabbath
when i started playing hardcore i wanted to sound like void
when i started making industrial shit i wanted to sound like MZ.412
etc.

i think a lot of times people learn by aping the shit you like and if you're lucky you figure out that the places you're failing at that are kind of your own personality creeping in.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Yeah agree with all that :)

Interesting phenomenon here in the uk is grime producers (already one of the most sonically obnoxious/weird mainstream/club genres of all time) have been getting into noise, kind of the typical opposite path to what i was just talking about; dance producers spend a bunch of money on gear and end up getting experimental because it can do so much more than a 16 bar loop :D So you get people like Mumdance etc starting 'noise'/drone/experimental nights and playing alongside Chris & Cosey or whatever at some Red Bull Academy nite :) Kind of great thing to happen and more interesting than noise dudes buying a drum machine :)

Back on topic I'm finally listening to Bestial Burden, it's pretty good, isn't Noise (as isn't most 'popular' noise ha), some strong vomiting too which is something that I feel has been missing from music in recent years :D

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:35 pm

you hear the b*tong cd? i seem to remember there being some quality vomiting on that thing haha....
https://greytone.bandcamp.com/album/b-t ... al-grey013

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:35 pm

haha wasn't expecting the Bang Bang cover :D

goatrash

Post by goatrash » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:58 pm

timdrage wrote: Also most of them will end up buying Korg Volcas and Teenage Engineering POs and end up
I gotta Volca Keys and its sick if you make sub-bass drum kind of sounds,distort it to shit, then lower the sample rate. I wouldn't ever dare touch the sequencer.

That said there's this band called Mutwawa near me and they make sick noise techno-y stuff.

8)

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:05 pm

mutwawa are fun, va/ md/ dc area right?

goatrash

Post by goatrash » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Halo of Teeth wrote:mutwawa are fun, va/ md/ dc area right?
Mhm. I think they're okay but most of the noise bands in the area are a little too hipster and happy for my taste. They're kind of like that but I still like them.

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:14 pm

if you're looking for good noise/ industrial from that area check out one lifeless eye, he used to be from richmond, i dont think he does it anymore but the cds he left in his wake were awesome and he was a rad visual artist too

never presence forever from richmond were pretty killer too, great death industrial from the early part of the 2000's

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:17 pm

You guyze, putting the Gear in Geriatric.
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

boidoe

Post by boidoe » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:28 pm

damn, well this took an unexpected turn

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:04 pm

People can come and go as much as they like, make as much shitty techno as they like, but what drives me mental is the lack of initiative. "How do I X?" threads quadrupling, the same four questions repeating, and then the "Well durr I used the search durr but I couldn't find the durr four hundred threads that already durr hold the answer durr" excuses. Fuck it, starting tomorrow I'm gonna make some videos to clear the shit up.

Halo of Teeth

Post by Halo of Teeth » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:04 pm

hahaha well that's the internet for ya.