catsup on hot dogs

Share food & beverage recipes with your noise pals.
amishrobots

catsup on hot dogs

Post by amishrobots » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

ketchup on hot dogs

IS A FUCKING ABOMINATION!

DON'T DO IT.

Srsly, maybe its because I grew up near chicago, or maybe its because I have some fucking taste, but it makes me angry everytime i see people do that shit. Its wrong, and you will go straight to hell.

If you see someone doing this, you need to start punching them hard, in the face, until they stop, for their own good, and for the good of humanity.

Oh, and i just found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

Don't make me send Dirty Harry to your house.
Last edited by amishrobots on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butter

Post by butter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 pm

mustard and sauerkraut all the way
ahem...

Rev Bucky

Post by Rev Bucky » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:21 pm

My first thought, after revulsion, when I read the thread title was "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!" So glad it took a turn for the better when I read your post.

I almost bought some hot dogs at the store today, but they were kind of expensive. It might seem strange thing to be picky about, but I really prefer all beef hot dogs, occasionally I will flirt with a beef and pork dog, but nothing else.

I love a Chicago dog, I also like bacon on a hot dog, such a good combo with a little mustard, the Frenchs plain yellow mustard. I will even eat a plain hot dog, as long as it's on a bun, bread just isn't the same.

My actual favorite toppings on a dog are mustard, relish, onions and sliced tomatoes.

gordon

Post by gordon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:08 pm

CHICAGO: where they put salad on hot dogs
G KP F TS Q

blackweather

Post by blackweather » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

i eat hot dogs with everything on it, including ketchup. shit is good to me.
crazeyman wrote:No thanks

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 pm

blackweather wrote:i eat hot dogs with everything on it, including ketchup. shit is good to me.
yeah, go ahead and put maple syrup on there too while you're at it.

maybe some toenail clippings and cat hair too.

blackweather

Post by blackweather » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:45 pm

that makes me wonder how guacamole would taste on a hot dog. i bet its awesome.
crazeyman wrote:No thanks

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Is it better if I put onions on it too?

I don't get the whole anti-ketchup logic in food. Like, this same kind of hting happens with burgers, and the only real reason, really, is because these "purists" want to have the first hamburger how it was made exactly, with nothing else on it. Why? The first burger probably tasted like shit given how far we've come with food preparation techniques and condiments. Plus, who said the first burger was any good? Why NOT put something else on it?

Now for hotdogs, I have no idea what the story is. I can see how putting everything but ketchup on a dog would be good, but again, why not ketchup? It's just another vegetable, except in paste form, so what's the harm?

I put ketchup on my hotdogs without thought, as I do with burgers and fries, and damn proud of it.

Rev Bucky

Post by Rev Bucky » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 pm

FAP, ketchup on a burger is fine, and fries is good (though I prefer fry sauce which has ketchup in it), but it destroys a hot dog as far as I'm concerned.

I can't really fully describe why it kills a dog to me, but for some reason ketchup becomes sweet on a dog, robs a dog of it's saltiness, and just all around disgusts me. And this is coming from someone who has eaten ketchup as a side dish, or taken a shot of it straight from the bottle! I even like ketchup on a steak, and that's a major travesty to some people.

The thing is, I just came around to that idea all by myself. As a kid, I put ketchup on my hot dogs, but now the idea and taste repulses me.

Oh and I have to add, I like a chili cheese dog, with onions and relish on it! That's the great thing about them, put what you want on them. But ketchup on a dog is just not good.

Hellbastard

Post by Hellbastard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:16 am

amishrobots wrote:put maple syrup on there too while you're at it.
WHOA... brb...

PS: I like ketchup 'n' mustard :mad: ... and plain old yellow dogs... I will put anything on one!

Hellbastard

Post by Hellbastard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 am

Rev Bucky wrote:I even like ketchup on a steak, and that's a major travesty to some people.
Yes, yes it is...

BTW, I tried ketchup on mac n cheese after I saw some characters on a Kids In The Hall sketch do it... surprisingly non-vomit-inducing, not that I actually continue to do it...

Oh, and one thing I do hate any condiments on is a sausage in a bun with sauteed onions... SHIT IS GOOD ON ITS OWN.

And I only like ketchup on a "regular" hot dog if it's in a bun...

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am

I fuckin' hate all condiments but BBQ sauce and salt. Does salt count? I dunno. But everything else tastes gross.

Rev Bucky

Post by Rev Bucky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 am

Hellbastard wrote:
Rev Bucky wrote:I even like ketchup on a steak, and that's a major travesty to some people.
Yes, yes it is....
I wouldn't do it to a good steak, like a filet mignon or porterhouse, I'm talking cheap steaks. A good steak only needs salt and pepper, which you put on when you cook it. I think A-1 on a good steak is a waste of a good steak.

Hellbastard wrote:BTW, I tried ketchup on mac n cheese after I saw some characters on a Kids In The Hall sketch do it... surprisingly non-vomit-inducing, not that I actually continue to do it...
Well Spodee odee dontnday! Actually hot dogs in mac and cheese is pretty good. Same with baked beans. BEANIE WEENIE RULES!!
Hellbastard wrote:Oh, and one thing I do hate any condiments on is a sausage in a bun with sauteed onions... SHIT IS GOOD ON ITS OWN.
I agree, and if you sautee green peppers with the onions, it kicks it up a notch, nothing else needed with that.
Hellbastard wrote:And I only like ketchup on a "regular" hot dog if it's in a bun...
I just have a personal thing against it, and all that means is I ain't gonna do it! That is one of the great things about a hot dog, everybody can doctor it the way they like, it just grosses me out to do, or even watch. I swear I get picky about the weirdest damn things.

I even like ketchup on my scrambled eggs and sometimes on an omlette. So ketchup on scrambled eggs, aye or nay?

amishrobots

Post by amishrobots » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:Is it better if I put onions on it too?

I don't get the whole anti-ketchup logic in food. Like, this same kind of hting happens with burgers, and the only real reason, really, is because these "purists" want to have the first hamburger how it was made exactly, with nothing else on it. Why? The first burger probably tasted like shit given how far we've come with food preparation techniques and condiments. Plus, who said the first burger was any good? Why NOT put something else on it?

Now for hotdogs, I have no idea what the story is. I can see how putting everything but ketchup on a dog would be good, but again, why not ketchup? It's just another vegetable, except in paste form, so what's the harm?
Ketchup is NOT "just another vegetable, except in paste form". If it were, you'd put it on your spaghetti too. Fresh tomatoes are an excellent addition to a good hot dog; whereas catsup bears the same resemblance to tomatoes as grape jelly does to grapes (neither of which of course, belongs near a hot dog. Hellbastard! Step away from that hot dog!!!)

ketchup is sweet; they put lots of sugar (or corn syrup) in it. It is that sweetness which ruins and rapes the flavour of the hot dog.

The Chicago Hot Dog is the product of many years evolution, from the "depression dog" to its current state of perfection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_st ... og#History

So it is not about "purists wanting the hot dog as it was first served. It is about people with taste, who know what does and does not work on a hot dog. The matter has been thoroughly researched, and ketchup is on the "does not" list.

A slightly more in-depth explanation: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/re ... de-hot-dog

Hot Dog Etiquette from National Hot Dog & Sausage Council:
http://www.hot-dog.org/ht/d/sp/i/38617/pid/38617

The official Chicago stance on the subject:
http://www.chicagohamburger.com/html/royko7.htm
Last edited by amishrobots on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hellbastard

Post by Hellbastard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 am

pfftt most BUNS add sweetness to hot dogs (you taste it more than anything else with a hot dog)!

I'm not forcing you guys to eat them with ketchup anyway, haha.

BTW, I would never put jelly (or syrup) on a hot dog... but syrup on breakfast sausage is tits.

Also, rev, I somehow forgot to mention peppers WITH the onions... I always eat them with peppers and onions... shit is so good.