Glass of water.

Share food & beverage recipes with your noise pals.
Hellbastard

Post by Hellbastard » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 pm

"warder" is some weird, inbred Ozarkian pronunciation I don't think ANYONE else uses, haha..,.

Fuck, The Retarded Girl

Post by Fuck, The Retarded Girl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 pm

I guess water is an odd word in terms of how it's pronounced, I didn't realise there was much of an american/australian difference until Pri told me about her experiences.

apparently the confusion is a common thing (2:22 onwards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BKQ7x8RAAA

Rev Bucky

Post by Rev Bucky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Wouldn't it be funny, if your girlfriend finally looked at a wait person, and said "Wa-wa, I want wah wah..." and he brought her a wah pedal!

Fuck, The Retarded Girl

Post by Fuck, The Retarded Girl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 pm

someone will read this thread one day and start a noise themed diner called harsh noise cafe.

A.R.GH

Post by A.R.GH » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:12 pm

next chapter: the word "mate"

Fuck, The Retarded Girl

Post by Fuck, The Retarded Girl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 pm

construction workers and tradesmen etc use mate for every second word, but no one else really says it. Same goes for g'day, the american equivalent would be something like Howdy

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:34 am

"Mate" is an English thing, too, but they drop the T and it becomes "May-uh". The T in Ireland is a real frustration, because it's almost always pronounced the same as the second T in "Frustration", sort of a shh sound, but not quite. Anything with that T in it I try to avoid saying when I go over seas.

I think the problem in the U.S stems from there not being much foreign media shown over there, and if there is it's usually full of toffee sucking Brits, Hugh Grant and what not. I heard that when Trainspotting was shown over there, they put subtitles on it because no one could under stand the Scottish accent.

xome

Post by xome » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 am

Fuck, The Retarded Girl wrote:someone will read this thread one day and start a noise themed diner called harsh noise cafe.
Always thought it would be rad to have a dinner club like in the 1940s / 50s .. except instead of big-band music, people would come and enjoy a meal with a nice noise performance.

Rev Bucky

Post by Rev Bucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:20 am

What could be really cool would be mic all the kitchen equipment, so the sounds of the pots and pans, the ovens and stoves, and industrial dishwashers and refridgerators provide the noise for the diners.

If the food were good, I would hang at a place like that.

A.R.GH

Post by A.R.GH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
I think the problem in the U.S stems from there not being much foreign media shown over there, and if there is it's usually full of toffee sucking Brits, Hugh Grant and what not.
Exactly, they are so "spoiled" in that sense, I don't know how it is in reallity but is ussual to see in movies or series characters complaining when they go to see something with subtitles... man , I watch stuff with subtitles every day of my life.

About spanish speaker countries...what I really HATE is something they made in Spain, they dub every movie, is the most horrible thing, as one time Tim said, is a crime against cinema... is really that hard to watch movie with subtitles?

A.R.GH

Post by A.R.GH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:32 am

Fuck, The Retarded Girl wrote:construction workers and tradesmen etc use mate for every second word, but no one else really says it. Same goes for g'day, the american equivalent would be something like Howdy
really? I thought it was more common, Leigh from STS use it a lot, or is he an special case?well, his interpretation of english language is special anyways... :lol:

Rev Bucky

Post by Rev Bucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:06 am

A.R.GH wrote:
Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
I think the problem in the U.S stems from there not being much foreign media shown over there, and if there is it's usually full of toffee sucking Brits, Hugh Grant and what not.
Exactly, they are so "spoiled" in that sense, I don't know how it is in reallity but is ussual to see in movies or series characters complaining when they go to see something with subtitles... man , I watch stuff with subtitles every day of my life.

About spanish speaker countries...what I really HATE is something they made in Spain, they dub every movie, is the most horrible thing, as one time Tim said, is a crime against cinema... is really that hard to watch movie with subtitles?
The American attitude on subtitles seems to be "I don't want to read, that's why I watch movies."

I really hate dubbing, it really bothers me when lips don't match dialogue, and it throws me out of the whole suspension of disbelief thing.

The reason I hate subtitles is that I then have to concentrate on reading the words, instead of the visuals, camera movements, etc.

Fuck, The Retarded Girl

Post by Fuck, The Retarded Girl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:50 pm

A.R.GH wrote:
Fuck, The Retarded Girl wrote:construction workers and tradesmen etc use mate for every second word, but no one else really says it. Same goes for g'day, the american equivalent would be something like Howdy
really? I thought it was more common, Leigh from STS use it a lot, or is he an special case?well, his interpretation of english language is special anyways... :lol:
I can barely understand leigh when we talk online (probably because he's drunk) but the way he talks, dropping the letter H, saying me instead of I, using mate all the time, is in a sense a very australian thing but it's the sort of thing not everyone does. In the way that it is also a cockney thing to do but not something most british people do.

On a slightly different note, new zealanders say the word bro all the time in the way that an australian or brit would use mate.

Rev Bucky

Post by Rev Bucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 pm

The American equivalent might be Dude, though some people also use Brah, or Bro.. On Bro and Mate are their different inflections and pronounciations based on emotion?

A friend and I once did a whole conversation, only using the word Dude, and our hands and eyes. It can be done.

Abulikah

Post by Abulikah » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

If BFJ's process is too difficult for you, might I suggest this:

1. Stick head into toilet bowl.
2. Slurp
http://www.myspace.com/idiednoise

The voices in my head ignore me.

:plzdie:

:beer: