wat do u put in yr curry?

Share food & beverage recipes with your noise pals.
the raytownian

wat do u put in yr curry?

Post by the raytownian » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 am

I'm talking additional seasonings... I have a bad habit of wrecking curry by going overboard with seasonings... but I think the right amount of each makes it great.

FYI, I use curry blocks for the base. Medium spicy, usually.

I usually add some 5 spice, soy sauce, fish sauce and minced garlic... but too much of any of these just ruins it... it often ends up overly salty/sour. I tried some oyster sauce this time, too... that just made it more sour, I think... but onion powder and the oyster sauce I use make for a great sauce base on their own.

I doubt it possible to use TOO MUCH (well cooked) garlic, but I wonder if I should just cut out fish sauce all together. 5 spice is great, but it's so easy to go from "this just needs a dash more of 5 spice" to "all i can taste is fucking 5 spice"... which I hate. I love 5 spice until it ends up ruining food. It's so hard to find that happy medium, though.

I forgot what this thread was about... anyway I'm not a vegetarian, but all I have for curry is frozen veggies, so I guess I just want suggestions for seasoning tips... I am sort of set in my ways in what I typically add, but I'd like to try something different. I already have an assortment of decent veggies, tho... but id be down to hear some "funky" suggestions like bananas or something (been tempted to try it for a long time).

Oh! A little peanut butter in curry is awesome. I find it mellows it out dome if it's too bold. I've also used dried apples without much noticeable flavor. Cinnamon, too.

And I prefer the lightly sweet "sushi soy sauce" kikoman makes, but I never see that anymore.
Seaweed is good, too.

NOW! Grimmer something I might not have tried! And help me to lay off the fucking fish sauce and five spice!
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

MGLUE

Post by MGLUE » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 am

Ray, you need to send me some spoken word.

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 am

MSG

MGLUE

Post by MGLUE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 am

Jliat, you need to send me some spoken word.

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 am

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktrch9ERTE

But i dont like my voice!

MGLUE

Post by MGLUE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks! Will rip the audio and upload it to the comp!

MGLUE

Post by MGLUE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Coupla things:

If you really want me to, I'll rip the audio of all of this and upload it, BUT, I fear no one is going to be able to follow without the video. That's fine, as I'm all about confusing people, but I think it would be cooler to have one of your discourses read aloud, even though that will undoubtedly confuse many, too.

Also, I imagined you sounding much, much older; much like I imagine Ballard would sound if he were discussing architecture, Marilyn Monroe, or multi-storey car parks. You are, indeed, one of my favorite Englishmen, alongside Jack the Ripper, Johnny Rotten, and Ozzy Osbourne, so I am stoked to get anything from you at all.

And do ask Clemon to send something my way. He won't answer my emails, so I'm assuming he thinks he's not invited to participate...but maybe he doesn't want to. :(

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 am

dude, wtf?

keep it outta the curry discussion...
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

Refund

Post by Refund » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:26 am

cashews, especially if they're slightly crushed.

it's adds a whole new dimension of texture/flavour to curries.

also some very small amounts of finely sliced pineapple can taste amazing, but it can be a bit hit and miss depending on which curry flavour it is.

also those crispy spring onion things that have been pre fried or whatever, bucketloads of awesome to be had.

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 am

I've considered pineapple before, but never gone through with it... the onions might be interesting, too.

I've tried "crunchy" peanut butter and crushed walnuts on different occasions, but I wasn't digging the odd hard-chewy nugget in the curry... Did you keep the cashews crunchy for it? I typically don't like much crunch unless it's coming from partially steamed veggies, or just ones that naturally have a snap to them like sugar snap peas.

Either way, I like cashews, so I might try it.
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

Refund

Post by Refund » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 am

the cashews that I get are usually a lot softer than peanuts, much more om nom nommy.

MGLUE

Post by MGLUE » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 am

the raytownian wrote:dude, wtf?

keep it outta the curry discussion...
Sorry Ray. I've been chasing people around about this spoken word thing. :oops:

spoiledpussy

Post by spoiledpussy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 am

Chickpeas or garbanzos whatever you want to call them...thanks jon for the tip on peanutbutter gonna try that right now...mmmmm curried chicpeas and rice.
"morse code on mushrooms"

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 am

Chickpeas could be good.

I never seem to think of asking my mom to buy those...

Anyway, peanut butter: I dunno if curry is a big Thai dish, but I imagine they use peanut butter in it if so because they go together surprisingly well. It only takes about 1 spoonful to get a nice, lightly sweet, peanutty flavor and creamy texture. Riiilly good on white rice. Dunno how I went without it for so long.
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

Niallllll

Post by Niallllll » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Thai curry's are very much seafood based which kind of makes me love them. If your not much a seafood eater then this is basically useless but I think shellfish in a spicy thai curry is absolutely the most delicious thing in the world.
As a biologist!