Sea of Poppies - S/T - my first noise album

Online releases, videos and other stuff like that.

Moderator: xome

TerminallyBlue

Sea of Poppies - S/T - my first noise album

Post by TerminallyBlue » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am

This is my first stab at making noise after more than a decade of being a passive listener. Please be gentle. :eek:

I have done this all-analogue on a fairly modest setup. The reasons were multiple - first, I wanted to try my hand on an "old school" release, because I love the 80s noise/industrial/experimental scene. Second, my health doesn't allow me to use the PC much, so analog is more convenient. And the fact that I have some actual "tactile" feedback is also nice. Third, I always wanted to mess with analog sound, but I never had the money before.

The album was also an important emotional catalyst to me, because of my health issues. It's been one of the things keeping me sane thoughout this shit. I guess it's partly a personal album.

Every track was made differently, from a different sound source/with a different technique, so they should in theory sound "unique" relative to eachother... I hope.

As I said, it's my first stab at this, and even though I did try to make it as good as possible (duh), I'm obviously no musical prodigy, so any feedback is appreciated!

Lastly, huge thanks to all you guys that helped me here in the support thread I posted a bit back. I really appreciate it!

I hope you guys give me a chance. :) Now I'll shut up, here's the music! Free and Creative Commons licenced, of course. Let me know what you think!
https://seaofpoppies.bandcamp.com/

FireAlarmPoet

Re: Sea of Poppies - S/T - my first noise album

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Hey, not bad! If I had to pick out a negative, the last track is a little echo-happy. I only listened to a few seconds of each, though, so I can't give an honest critique. Everyone does noise differently, some people get into a 'flow' that's better off not being broken for the sake of adding/subtracting dynamics or variety. That said, it doesn't hurt to try.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm

TerminallyBlue wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am
after more than a decade of being a passive listener
That's why this is killer, I'm really glad I checked it out. Great job!

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:01 am

s.p.i.n. wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm
TerminallyBlue wrote:
Agreed - and no more passivity!

From 'The New Noise' - Jacques Attali

"composition is revealed as the demand for a truly different system of organisation, a network within which a different kind of music and different social relations can arise. A music produced by each individual for himself, for pleasure outside of meaning , usage and exchange."

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Loved it. Especially the third track.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Say, the name "Sea of Poppies:" is that a reference to WWI?

eljulio

Post by eljulio » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 am

Awesome! :D
Rebuilding Toyota Tacoma this summer. Haven't decided which truck bumper to get.

TerminallyBlue

Post by TerminallyBlue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm
Hey, not bad! If I had to pick out a negative, the last track is a little echo-happy. I only listened to a few seconds of each, though, so I can't give an honest critique. Everyone does noise differently, some people get into a 'flow' that's better off not being broken for the sake of adding/subtracting dynamics or variety. That said, it doesn't hurt to try.
Thanks a ton! :) The last track actually has the same amount of delay as the others, but I did feed both the wet and the bypassed signal into the mix and split it to right/left channel, I guess that's what makes it sound more echo-y. I'm definitely still experimenting, I'm hoping to eventually get to a point where every album can be "mine", but also distinctly different.
s.p.i.n. wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm
TerminallyBlue wrote:
jliat wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:01 am
Agreed - and no more passivity!

From 'The New Noise' - Jacques Attali

"composition is revealed as the demand for a truly different system of organisation, a network within which a different kind of music and different social relations can arise. A music produced by each individual for himself, for pleasure outside of meaning , usage and exchange."
melkobukva wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm
Loved it. Especially the third track.
eljulio wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 am
Awesome! :D
Thanks so much!! It really means the world to me!
FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm
Say, the name "Sea of Poppies:" is that a reference to WWI?
Not as such, but partly. I actually know very little about WWI, sans the obvious stuff you learn in history classes. It's more of a "personal" thing, I guess. When I got to thinking about the name, I don't even know how I got there, but I realized that one of my first memories is going around the town with my mom, and the poppies always used to bloom here in big numbers, I think the fields on the country side were growing them and the seeds blew around. So I got to think how interesting it is, that a single flower can mean so much - nice childhood memories for me, awful memories for the families and friends of the victims of war, and even hope for brighter, peaceful future for the veterans and people who are attending and organizing memorial day events, or any memorial events at all. Somehow, that always makes me stop and look whenever I see a poppy blooming outside, evne though I don't really appreciate flora at all otherwise. As I said, it's quite a personal project. :)