New Artist: Mount Kuma

Online releases, videos and other stuff like that.

Moderator: xome

MountKuma

New Artist: Mount Kuma

Post by MountKuma » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 am

Hey all.

I'm new.

Started experimenting with noise starting sometime last year, this year I brought a few pedals/contact mics etc and continued to find a sound.

Any feedback about anything would be appreciated as would links to your projects for me to explore.

https://mountkuma.bandcamp.com/album/my-rabbit

fire

Re: New Artist: Mount Kuma

Post by fire » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 am

was a little worried when i saw the drum set, but the sounds are sans drum thankfully, not a bad track but a little reliant on the delay, standard advice: way more delay or much less, dont make the delay the star unless you are doing gear reviews

i find amanita ocreata around here, have some great pics somewhere on an old comp, love going out shroom hunting, might go today
[17,963] days since last fuck given

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 am

fire wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 am
was a little worried when i saw the drum set, but the sounds are sans drum thankfully, not a bad track but a little reliant on the delay, standard advice: way more delay or much less, dont make the delay the star unless you are doing gear reviews
At least he doesn't have a guitar.. lol.. I guess I agree with the comments about the delay.. about halfway through I thought oh good it's a fullblast of noise.. but then the delay noodling came back :wall:

MountKuma

Post by MountKuma » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for the comments. I don't know if I should say anything but there were some drum samples distorted in the tracks and in a fade at the end.

These recordings were made after I had just added the DD7 delay to my set up, therefore, was somewhat of a pedal review for myself to see how it fit in. So in a way it is accidentally the star of these recordings (esp the opener).

I'm really new to all this, so still trying to find what works and what doesn't and how to incorporate what I have. But I was somewhat happy with the recordings so and wanted to go through the whole process of creating something.

Cheers for taking the time to have a look.

MountKuma

Post by MountKuma » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:58 pm

fire wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 am
was a little worried when i saw the drum set
Was just the most recent photo on my phone at the time of editing the recordings.

What % of this board is of the mind that drums and noise don't mix? I saw some pretty good collaborations in Tokyo that included a drummer from Turkey that were enjoyable.

fire

Post by fire » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 am

pdx, 1990s, i spend many nights drinking cheap beer from the dirty taps at satyricon, i get free beer for drawing the mothly calendar, i sit at the bar out front, watching the suburban hipster kids mingle with the downtown heroin crowd while i draw scary hardcore images

i hang there monday-thursday usually and avoid weekends when its packed, most of my friends play during the week anyway so i get to see them, but on monday there is open mic night, which draws in the nike and intel guys who missed their rock star calling

these guys show up in a horde, girlfriends and moms and various friends in tow, oh i mean they have roadies, yep, and they unload literally tons of gear, sometimes three vans worth

sometimes, the drummer has his own van, yep, a 72,000 piece drum set, so fucking shiny beautiful it all is, who could beat it with sticks?

so after like an hour solid setting up $89,000 in equipment, i mean giant amps, multiple guitars, quite literally bells and whistles, and usually the keyboard rack proudly displaying a yamaha or two, the singer gets on stage and after tying a scarf around the mic, they burst into life

it sounds like a box of cats caught up in a tornado that is destroying a trailer park, well not really cause that would be cool, but trust, its awful, gradeschool band class awful

moral of the story... not sure

drums in noise can work, and i hear some noise with beats that doesnt totally turn me off, but mostly drums in noise seem to work against the flow, they add too much structured sound and distract the mind, the draw attention away from more subtle noises

like the delay, if used right it sounds good, or really, you dont even hear it, it just enhances the sound

drums and guitar have a bad rap in noise imo because they are easy, too obvious

noise is more about broken tape decks, scrap metal and homemade diy guitars and drums

and the work that goes into making sounds come from unusual sources
[17,963] days since last fuck given

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:35 am

MountKuma wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:58 pm
What % of this board is of the mind that drums and noise don't mix?
Not all. I also enjoy guitar. They are instruments, the big complaint is the lack of "untraining" the mind I think. It gets blamed on the tools.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

MountKuma

Post by MountKuma » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:58 am

Maybe I'm too new here and to the genre as a whole- but surely Noise is a very broad music genre, and although I understand the criticisms, wouldn't they mostly apply to a Harsh noise or Harsh Noise Wall?

Again my release doesn't have actual drums on it but does use some samples thrown in from a KP3 to drown the sound and fade the track. I'm still experimenting with what I have and trying to find a sound that I'm confident in. But I still feel noise is a Kingdom with many classes within it.

either way input is still appreciated and will put it toward any future recordings. :chin: :coffee:

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:59 am

MountKuma wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:58 am
Maybe I'm too new here and to the genre as a whole- but surely Noise is a very broad music genre, and although I understand the criticisms, wouldn't they mostly apply to a Harsh noise or Harsh Noise Wall?

Just think of it as too much cow bell

We know this but I have a personal gripe about drums and guitars in noise especially at live shows.. it's just a tangent that will come up here :mrgreen: