Can we get a Fuck Yeah for Dino de Laurentiis?

Discuss movies

Moderator: xome

obscurica

Can we get a Fuck Yeah for Dino de Laurentiis?

Post by obscurica » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:43 pm

Producers never get respect. They don't direct, they don't act, their only function would be to put up the big bucks and occasionally impose bizarre personal preferences into the picture.

Dino is no exception.. but the sheer awesomeness of many of his films indicate something of a visionary quality to the projects he chooses to align himself with. I never knew who he was until I kept seeing his name in connection with the cheesiest big-budget guilty pleasure movies ever made.

Think Roger Corman with a budget. And then feast your eyes on this selected filmography, which should resonate especially with anyone old enough to have seen Star Wars in the theater:

1968 Barbarella
1976 King Kong
1980 Flash Gordon
1981 Halloween II
1982 Conan the Barbarian
1982 Amityville II: The Possession
1984 Firestarter
1984 Conan the Destroyer
1984 Dune
1985 Red Sonja
1986 King Kong Lives

Barbarella rules!!!!
And hell, King Kong and Flash Gordon alone earn this guy major points in my book. He's apparantly quite a character from what little I've heard.. his comment on King Kong was "When the monkey die, everybody cry". And there are some great anecdotes about him in the director's commentary of that masterpiece of cheese, the 1980 version of Flash Gordon. It seems Dino flew across the Atlantic in his private jet to deliver an important personal message to the director. The message in its entirely was, "Flash Gordon... he save-a the world!"

Bravo, Dino.

http://www.obscurica.com

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:36 am

Like I said in iheartnoise forum:

FUCK YEAH!