The Films of Guy Debord

Discuss movies

Moderator: xome

noisenomics

The Films of Guy Debord

Post by noisenomics » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:18 pm

A filmmaker who repeatedly declared in his work that cinema is dead, a revolutionary anti-capitalist who alienated virtually everyone who had joined him in the anarchistic and collectivist movement the Situationist International, Guy Debord remains one of the great enigmas of the French counter-culture of the '50s and '60s.

Part of the riddle is a small group of three shorts and three features that Debord made between 1952 ("Howls in Favor of Sade") and 1978 ("We Go Round and Round in the Night and Are Consumed by Fire") - legendary as much for their aesthetic and political controversy as for their rarity.

So rare, in fact, that Enrico Ghezzi, curator of the retrospective of Debord's films at the 58-th Venice International Film Festival, Augusty 29-September 8 2001, insists that at least one - a 20-minute 1961 short, "Critique de la s

monosyllibalic

Post by monosyllibalic » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 am

you can watch a couple of his films at

http://www.ubu.com/film/

MrBook

Post by MrBook » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Wow, this is news to me. I know a bit about Debord and Situationism, but I'd never even heard about any films. He was an unbelievably important thinker -- he was railing against postmodern capitalism and globalism before they'd even really taken form yet. Doesn't surprise me that he considered his films more radical than Godard's, since Godard put a lot of Marxist ideology in his films, and that kind of dogma just didn't fly with Debord. Thanks for the tip, and thanks to monosyllibalic for the link.
My name is Rufus, and that's the trufus.