Documentaries... recommendations, plz.

Discuss movies

Moderator: xome

the raytownian

Documentaries... recommendations, plz.

Post by the raytownian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:04 am

Anything you think I'd like! :)

Preferably stuff I can find torrents for... I really enjoy them when they aren't shitty!
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:46 am

zeitgeist
peace, love, happiness

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:50 am

peace, love, happiness

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:00 am

elizabeth clare prophet pretending to be jesus:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 059730517#
peace, love, happiness

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:02 am

waco: the rules of engagement... mandatory watching for all US citizens...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 377572665#
peace, love, happiness

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:22 am

scary fucking video about "the grid", the mind of the machine is born...
...almost infinite computing power...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZDSLzU9pZ4
peace, love, happiness

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 am

peace, love, happiness

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:55 am

JOIN THIS MANS CULT, HE IS EITHER THE MESSIAH OR THE ANTI-CHRIST, LIVE NAKED IN THE TREES...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P03nNeY ... re=related
peace, love, happiness

red soundwave

Post by red soundwave » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:05 am

peace, love, happiness

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Any of the BBC documentaries about physics or the universe. The alternate reality one is fucking brilliant.

We Live In Public.

American Movie (Dunno if that qualifies).

I'll try to think of more. They're the main thing I watch, so I'll come up with a good list.

Doornen

Post by Doornen » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Check the documentary thingy on chondritic sound/troniks board... lots of interesting stuff

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:11 pm

OK, here's a shortlist of my favourites os the decaade, in no particular order:

The Bridge
A documentary about the suicides from the Golden Gate bridge. I like that it isn't invasive in the way so many other directors would have handled it. It's peaceful.

Collapse
About the economy crash. It sounds boring to describe it, but it's really greaat. At least try and download it, give it a shot.

RIZE

Street dancing styles clowning and krumping. The only movie about dancing that should ever exist. This documentary is why dancing exists. It all led up to this, and to the bad-fucking-ass dance battle at the end.

Lost In La Mancha

Absolutely hilarious. It's about Terry Gilliam's disasterous first try at making a film adaption of Don Quixote. Every simgle thing that could go wrong went wrong in the worst possible way. Also, Jeff Bridges narrates, so that makes it cool, too. Because Jeff Bridges rules.

The Devil And Daniel Johnston

If you haven't seen this already, shame on you. Daniel Johnston was an outsider artist suffering from mental illness, who made some of the crazybest songs I'd heard when I first happened upon him. Must see, especially for those of us on the outside of the art world.

We Live In Public

Back when the Internet was fresh, new and streaming was really, really shit, Josh Harris fucked shit up and ruined a whole lot of peoples lives because he's a cunt. Quiet: We Live In Public was a 1999 precursor to Big Brother, taking place in amidst the Y2K panic. It's fucking mental. If you watch any of these, I'd recommend this one, at least first.

The English Surgeon

Sequel to The English Patient. No, just kidding. Seriously, though, you will fucking bawl at this movie. A brain surgeon travels to Kiev to help fix up people there. Really sad at times (Most of the time), the conversations beween him and his friend are brilliant. This one is worth buying. It's a good one for getting all sad with a sexy type friend and then having even sadder sex.

In The Realms Of The Unreal

Another story about an outsider artist, but this time with a twist. No one knew he was an painter or a writer until he died. He wrote a novel over 15,000 pages long, and had a ton of painted illustrations to go with it, most over ten foot long. The guy was a recluse, so there's nothing known about him, apart from three photographs, his name, a few misc. details, and his incredible art.

Protagonist

Lame to do this, but this is by the same director as "In The Realms..." and I only just thought of it. It's all about how some people will go to the most extreme of something. It's a talking heads style documentary, with parts acted out by puppets, which sounds stupid as shit, but it's great. Four guys, one a Russian terrorist, one a bank robber, one a gay Priest and one a martial artist. Good for just sitting and relaxing, and keeps you interested without all the flashy shit.

Billy The Kid

Follows Billy, a 15 year old with Asperger's Syndrome. You can tell people are put off by the camera, which adds a weird surrealism to it, but you can get over it when you hear Billy speak. If I was like him at 15, fuck, if I could have just his wit at ANY point in my life, I'd be happy. Really sweet film, really great kid, damn hard to find. I wish you luck getting a copy. If you can't, I'll rip mine and upload it for you.

Stevie

The director waas once in the Big Brother scheme, playing Brother to a kid called Stevie. The years go by, and he decides to get back in touch. Both hilarious and troubling. Definitely recommend this one. I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to give the whole thing away, and if you DO decide to see it, make sure you don't go reading up on it before hand or you'll spoil it for yourself.

Dark Days

Fascinating film about homeless people living in the underground. I think they called it the Tunnel Of Freedom or something. Pretty depressing, and real eerie, but for all the hardships, these guys are doing their thing. Giving each other haircuts, even. It's just like a suburban neighbourhood, only with more trash. Set to music from DJ Shadow, who is notorious for not allowing his music in film or TV, so you KNOW it has to be good.

Young@Heart

I'd say you've heard of this one, at least. A New England choir, made up entirely of pensioners. Brilliant, and Jesus can they belt out a tune. Wait until you hear them do The Clash, it'll change you. Kind of made me want to work with old people, until I realised I'd probably be on diaper rotation for the first four years.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Zachary is the name of a baby, whose Father was killed by his Mother whilst still in the womb. Pretty heart breaking at times, to have to see the parents of the murdered guy have to be civil to the chick who killed him so they can see their Grandson, due to legal shit (Blame Canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa). It's full of interviews, and is a real retrospective on the guy. Brilliant stuff.[/b]

the raytownian

Post by the raytownian » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:34 am

Wow... thanks, guys... this is surely more than I could ever watch!

:hail:
Not-Sea Punks Fuck Off!

whereisthis

Post by whereisthis » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:46 am

Maybe Logic

Documentary about Robert Anton Wilson, author of The Illuminatus! Trilogy (with Robert Shea), the Cosmic Trigger series and lots of others. Smash your reality tunnel with discordianism, etc. [/url]

spoiledpussy

Post by spoiledpussy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox
2006NR88 minutes
Brilliant chemist, Holocaust survivor and mental hospital escapee, Dr. Emanuel Bronner invented his famous Magic Soap and founded the environmentally concerned company that's just as popular today as it was among the counterculture in the 1970s. This documentary captures the complexity of Bronner's relationship with his son Ralph, who spent years in orphanages and foster homes as his eccentric father sought to unite all mankind.

The Real Dirt on Farmer John
2006NR82 minutes
Filmmaker Taggart Siegel paints a fascinating portrait of a man who refused to yield. By transforming his farm into an experimental haven in the late 1960s, John Peterson attracted hundreds of artists, hippies and other political radicals. But when the agriculture crisis of the late 1980s led to the farm's eventual collapse -- and his neighbors publicly branded him a devil worshipper -- most locals thought he'd call it quits. They were wrong.
"morse code on mushrooms"