Salo

Post by Apophallation » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:43 am

any other fans of this great movie?

trashjunkie2000

Post by trashjunkie2000 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:52 am

Shit for dinner, anyone?

Pig Molester

Post by Pig Molester » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:13 am

i have the dvd, but still have to watch the complete movie..only saw some bits...

noisefreaknoise

Post by noisefreaknoise » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48 pm

read the back
sounds sick!
tell me some of the killing methods
Charlotte sometimes crying for herself
- Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself -

Apophallation

Post by Apophallation » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:33 am

noisefreaknoise wrote:
read the back
sounds sick!
tell me some of the killing methods
Well, that was not the main focus in this movie... i guess that is what makes it even more disturbing...

brutophilia

Post by brutophilia » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:31 am

Quite a good adaptation of a Sade classic if you ask me. Still disturbing, even for its time, and it still remains pretty disturbing until this day.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:36 am

Salo is the epitome of "bleak"

obscurica

Post by obscurica » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:38 am

I had high hopes but was sorely disappointed.
It tries to straddle the line between shock cinema and quaint european arthouse chic, and fails miserably at both. It just comes off as pretensious and frankly it's pretty boring. I found my mind drifting, waiting for something disgusting to happen, while occasionally noticing some pastoral shooting location. Yawn.

I hate to use the old cliche that the book is always better, but in this case it's oh so true. It's a fast read, it might take a little longer than watching the movie, but it won't seem like it. The movie feels like it's about 8 hours long, really tedious. The book will lock you in like viewing a car wreck up close, and you'll feel dirty afterwards.

To really put the book to film it would take something along the order and scope and budget of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Somebody please convince Peter Jackson to produce 120 days of Sodom. For puppets.

trashjunkie2000

Post by trashjunkie2000 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:18 pm

The director, Pier Pasolini, was murdered by one of the actors in this film. Not for sure if that's true or not.

eraritjaritjaka

Post by eraritjaritjaka » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Not for sure if that's true or not.
google.

anyway:

Pasolini died on November 2, 1975 at the beach of Ostia, near Rome, in a location typical of his novels. He was murdered brutally by being run over several times with his own car. Giuseppe Pelosi, a hustler, was arrested and confessed to murdering Pasolini. On May 7th, 2005, he retracted his confession, claiming that unidentified men had killed Pasolini (he spoke of three strangers, with a southern Italian accent, insulting Pasolini as a "filthy communist"). He gave threats of violence against his family as the reason for his erstwhile confession. The investigation into Pasolini's death was reopened following Pelosi's recantation.

Evidence uncovered in 2005 points to Pasolini being murdered by an extortionist. Testimony by Pasolini's friend Sergio Citti indicates that some of the film rolls from Sal

noisefreaknoise

Post by noisefreaknoise » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:47 pm

what do ya know?! eh?
Charlotte sometimes crying for herself
- Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself -

Eirik Vandal

Post by Eirik Vandal » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:29 pm

The way my body felt when I first saw this movie is something I cant describe. Very moving piece of film.
It's wonderful to be a nerd

www.myspace.com/starkweathermusic

ablablablablabla

Post by ablablablablabla » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:28 am

Eirik Vandal wrote:The way my body felt when I first saw this movie is something I cant describe. Very moving piece of film.

i starred at the screen for 15 minutes after the movie ended.. thinking "wow".

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:13 pm

I was the projectionist for this film at the School of the Art institue of Chicago in the ealry 90's two old guys got into a fist fight over it in the lobby. I made a VHS dub of the film but unfortunately the last 10 minutes got eaten.. anyway I can see why at the time it was made that it would be shocking and it would probably still be pretty shocking to normal peopel today but personally I found it silly and almost funny in a dark humour sort of way. Which is perhaps how it is really meant to be seen but I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

mustlord

wow

Post by mustlord » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Salo.. was very disturbing.. I saw that because of a recommendation from DJ D-Styles(thank dave).
Oh My God.. That was a little farther than Visitor Q..
The poor kids,..
Even during supper.