a scanner darkly

Discuss movies

Moderator: xome

stampede

a scanner darkly

Post by stampede » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:12 pm

I love this movie! Paranoid drug indused delerium. I highly suggest eating magic mushrooms before watching :twisted: . Psychedelic like a muthafuckr 8)
There's definetely something wrong with me just don't know what.

pcrv

Post by pcrv » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:20 pm

i didn't like it. went in with high hopes(no pun intended) and when it was over i was totally disappointed. keanu reeves is one of the worst actors to grace our silver screen. plus i hate anti-drug movies. their always so over dramatic. plus i think it would of been better without all the animation.

i'd would like to try substance d though. wonder which drug they based it all off of.

stampede

Post by stampede » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:43 pm

I used to think that keanu was a total tit. But all the anti-hero roles have changed my stance a little. Wooden acting on keanu's part sure, but what about someone like christopher walken who made a career out of lame acting?
Not to sure on it really being anti-drug. Phillip k. Dick openly abused drugs. Linklater's made other movies involving heavy drug use. I didn't see as anti-drug but more of a honest pyschilogical portrayal of drug abusers and their behavior.
I dug the rotoscoping as it added a surreal vibe to it that I don't think would be possible otherwise. Especially the scramble suits, very nice.
Substance d sounds good doesn't it. It seems to hold some but not all properties of cocaine and lsd.
There's definetely something wrong with me just don't know what.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:10 pm

I thought it was as good as possible really. Certainly one of the most faithful PKD adaptations. Took some liberties with the plot but the atmosphere + characterisation was really well done.

My main complaint was the opening... what in the book is the most devestating and bleak piece of black comedy/despair was turned into frantic wacky comedy movie crazy guy sequence.... but then i guess what makes the book's opening paragraphs so great is the language, it's like a little mini-novel of its own, and that can't really translate.

pcrv

Post by pcrv » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:35 pm

i'd like to read the book. haven't. probablly would enjoy that much more. i'm all for drug based whatever. naked lunch is one of my favorite books. but that movie sucked. my point is i'm a hard sell when it comes to movies in general. plus i hate computer animation. i'm a little old school. i like the old movies with the cheesy effects.

i'll probablly watch it again.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:06 am

everyone should definitely read the book, it's amazing. One of PKD's best, most autobiographical, and least sci-fi.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:20 am

Fuckin' horrible movie. Couldn't even finish it.

obscurica

Post by obscurica » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:07 pm

pcrv wrote:naked lunch is one of my favorite books. but that movie sucked.
I agree with you there, that movie, blew. The book is almost always better than the movie, and Scanner Darkly is no exception. I'll agree that this is about as good a rendition as could have been made, though.

In regards to the rotoscoping, sure on one level you either like it or hate it. But I was watching it and thinking about the process, and then it struck me.. of course, it had to be rotoscoped. It's hyperrealism! A copy of a copy where the original is lost. How PKD is that? And of course Keaneu's presence ties into the notions of simulacrum and hypperrealisim that he unwittingly helped popularize with the Matrix. So he's getting typecast as the "dumb guy in a smart movie". Yes, he comes off as a total moron. Makes the rest of the movie look smarter by comparison, if you're not paying too close attention.

rotted brain

Post by rotted brain » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Fuckin' horrible movie. Couldn't even finish it.
I agree. I actually finished it but was totally disappointed and confused when it was over. I like rotoscoping, but I think this movie used one style too much. The other Linklater movie that uses rotoscoping, Waking Life, had many different stles of rotoscoping which kept my interest the entire time.
Scanner Darkly had some cool moments, but overall I think the movie sucked.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:36 pm

I seem to remember rentign this and then sleeping through it.. but that happens alot when I watch thign too late after getting high

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:13 am

I really liked it, with reservations... the book is better inevitably, but I'd say it's pretty much the most faithful PKD adaptation so far. The main problem i had with it was the opening; the first paragraph of the book is the most devestating opening, but that character in the film became way too much of a wacky movie crazy guy, totally lost the bleak and incredibly dark humour of that part.

But all in all it was as good as I expected, which is kind of rare really!