Beginners guide to making noise/experimental

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

The Vault Project

Post by The Vault Project » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:58 am

Damon wrote:i think the original post is a good guide. It's well written and it seems like it could be useful for a beginner. If you read through it carefully it doesn't really tell you how to make noise. It just mentions some options.
Indeed, and my comments were not an attack against the original post. It's just my personal point of view about the elitism vs. the processus of creation.

JORIS J

Post by JORIS J » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:19 pm

"What is useless is trying to create a user guide for making noise."
Nobody wants to do something like that. Like I said, it

flies

Post by flies » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:01 am

agreed. ppl asking 'how do i get started' will be flamed by the same ppl who say that writing a guide is stupid.

JORIS J

Post by JORIS J » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:07 am

Yes Man !
I Never understand the arrogance of some guys how make sarcastic remarks who has got some questions about noise and about making it.

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:04 pm

JORIS J wrote:Yes Man !
I Never understand the arrogance of some guys how make sarcastic remarks who has got some questions about noise and about making it.
not advocating the practice you mention, but probably alot of these people have been doing noise for the last ten or more years and didn't have the sort of easily available resources on the internet concerning how to make noise. they had an interest in making noise and had to discover most of what to do on their own, without any assistance, through trial and error... and suprisingly enough, this more often than not results in people developing an individual style as opposed to x + y + z pedals = instant Merzbow, or looking for a Wolf Eyes gear list. additionally, that search for a certain sound, trying out different gear and different ways of putting it all together, various sound sources, etc. is a major part of the process and I can certainly understand some people getting upset with someone looking for "instant gratification".

Moribund

Post by Moribund » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:27 pm

The walmart mentality is the death to us all.
http://twitter.com/sirkut
[sirkut electronics website]
http://sirkut.com

ern esto

Post by ern esto » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:48 am

the only rule = no rules .. it makes most clones and stagnacy if this is unchangeable rule. make your own rules, and if needed for each track different ones. another wise man was right.

flies

Post by flies » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:45 am

no rules! play aguilera tracks! hit demo-play on your casiotone! unplug all your equipment but continue turning the knobs! copy merzbow's gear and duplicate his music! allow that high pitched whine to continue unabated and unchanging for 40 minutes! do'nt learn from other people or your own previous projects! all of these are good ideas, and you can do all of tehm because there are NO RULES!

The Vault Project

Post by The Vault Project » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:56 am

flies wrote:no rules! play aguilera tracks! hit demo-play on your casiotone! unplug all your equipment but continue turning the knobs! copy merzbow's gear and duplicate his music! allow that high pitched whine to continue unabated and unchanging for 40 minutes! do'nt learn from other people or your own previous projects! all of these are good ideas, and you can do all of tehm because there are NO RULES!
By NO RULES, we should understand "without constraints". Following your own judgement and imagination. Of course, a 40 minutes beeeeeepppp is damn boring but, as i said, follow your own judgement. And, if you want to record a 40 minutes beeeeeppp, do it. The worst thing that could happen is that your material will stay in your own personal archives. If you're lucky, an amateur of minimalistic stuff will buy your crap...

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:08 pm

flies wrote: unplug all your equipment but continue turning the knobs!
I actually did this during a live set while performing with some other people, they were so loud I couldn't hear myself, but the venue's sound guy kept wanting me to turn down, so I just switched off the power and sat there tweaking knobs as though I was still playing... and I don't think too many people noticed what was going on either...

MrBook

Post by MrBook » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:14 pm

flies wrote:no rules! play aguilera tracks! hit demo-play on your casiotone! unplug all your equipment but continue turning the knobs! copy merzbow's gear and duplicate his music! allow that high pitched whine to continue unabated and unchanging for 40 minutes! do'nt learn from other people or your own previous projects! all of these are good ideas, and you can do all of tehm because there are NO RULES!
Well, what you just described is pretty much exactly the early Japanese noise scene in the 1980s and early 1990s, before "harsh noise" got codified into a genre. I can see Eye, Gero, or Violent Onsen Geisha doing any and all of the things you just mentioned. Of course, those guys had two important things going for them: 1) They were creative instead of lazy, and 2) There weren't already twenty thousand fucking people doing the same damn thing, like we have now. But I really think what was so special about the early Japanese scene, and the thing that made it so influential, is that climate of ABSOLUTE musical freedom, possibly unprecedented in the history of music. Don't get me wrong, now; I agree with just about everything in the initial posts in this thread, and I've never understood why people have such a problem with it. I think what they fail to realize is that it's not a set of rules; it's a sort of guideline to not making boring stuff that's already been done. BUT the idea of there being no rules is an important, remarkable thing that's kind of been lost, I think, in the current climate of purism and convention.
My name is Rufus, and that's the trufus.

johnseven

Post by johnseven » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:00 am

I can see why there's a clash between the people who quoted the 'guide' and the whole ethos of noise but for someone like me who's starting on the road it makes you think a bit more,rather than going the Sunn route or whatever.

I always thought that was part of the enjoyment of making music regardless of classification-trying to think around the sound you've got going on and see what's hiding behind it.

?7?
They say my songs are much too slow,but they don't know the things I know...

Ataru

Post by Ataru » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:23 pm

I hate the "it's called experimental music so don't tell us what to do!" argument with an intense passion.

go ahead and do something experimental, but if you don't know what's come before, 9999 times out of 10000, you're just going to regurgitate what someone else has already done better than you.
cdr's out now on Audiobot, Troniks, Alienation, and RSM
http://www.ruccas.org/index.php?Anthony%20Saunders
http://www.overwhelmed.org/anthony

repentance

Post by repentance » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:17 pm

exactly Anthony!!!

I wish I had heard more noise when I was making my first few tapes. the early Scissortail material is absolutely embarassing and I'm extremely saddened to know there are people out there listening to (in my opinion) awful product with my name on it. a sixty minute tape of screwdriver on guitar through 3 delay pedals? pleeeeeease...

JORIS J

Post by JORIS J » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 pm

4 pedals ! :lol:
And the discussion turns into how I am creative ? :wink:
But Scissortail made really cool stuff.