Beginners guide to making noise/experimental

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Soulsick666

Post by Soulsick666 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:08 pm

I don't see what the problem is if a newbie wants some advice. I thought that's what the forum is for. sharing experience.
And whats wrong with trying to copy merzbow or anybody else? Doesn't nearly every guitar, bass or whatever player start by playing someone elses songs?
Just play and have fun

JORIS J

Post by JORIS J » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:36 pm

"sharing experience. "
I never say something against this.

serial noiser

Post by serial noiser » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:10 am

Just play and have fun
yeah I think too. That's a real pleasure to make noise, that's as powerfull as an orgasm :oops:

MrBook

Post by MrBook » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:06 pm

The Vault Project wrote:Another wise man said: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law! :twisted:

Loud is the law, loud under will.
My name is Rufus, and that's the trufus.

The Vault Project

Post by The Vault Project » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:09 pm

MrBook wrote:
The Vault Project wrote:Another wise man said: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law! :twisted:

Loud is the law, loud under will.
:wink:

Kodanshi

Post by Kodanshi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:53 am

Ataru wrote:listen to it until you are sick of it before you release it. I spent a month listening to rehearsal tapes volume 1 over and over again before releasing it. 8 or 9 times a day for an 78 minute release. This kind of dedication (and QUALITY CONTROL) is important.
Very well said. Reminds me of what William Burroughs said about books: if you write something and immediately consider it a masterpiece it will undoubtedly = shit. He then goes on to add: "My God! Tear it into very small pieces and throw it into somebody else's garbage can."
I've strayed in the sunshine...

dwemmy

Post by dwemmy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:17 pm

serial noiser wrote:
Just play and have fun
That's a real pleasure to make noise, that's as powerfull as an orgasm :oops:
Huh...I'll have what he's having. :wink:
Derek Baiiey R.I.P. 1930-2005
UVFICliberal secular humanist

Uma Floresta

Re: questions

Post by Uma Floresta » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:57 pm

BEN BONANZA wrote:What's with all the Guy Debord horseshit in this thread?

It would be patronizing and counterproductive not to call first efforts what they are--bad. It's a mark of profound disrespect to the potential of new artists and the accomplishments of established artists to do otherwise. It's a mark of profound stupidity to relativize all talent and effort by saying "we're all irrelevant and crappy."

flowersniffer7

Post by flowersniffer7 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:18 am

I have to say that this guide is probobly the worst thing that has ever happened to noise... The fact of the matter is that Punk failed because it adopted rules and a uniform and now if you don't fall into what people consider punk, you obviously can't make good punk music... If you are attempting to create guidlines for experimental music... you just took the experimenting out of it... If people can't accept computers being used live, then they should quite calling themselves experimental... Be open minded or don't listen, but I am not going to leave some of the material I have worked most hard on at home because some scenester can handle sitting through a laptop set. All I can say for shows is... If you want to be the next wolfeyes... be interactive... If you use a computer do something other than press play... You can make it just as exciting if you that is your goal... Me, thats not my goal, I am just trying to make good music, I don't need to do high kicks for you. If that is what its all about, than it has ceased to be about the music. Anyway, i am not purporting to be any kind of expert on anything, but I am purporting that neither is anybody else... we are all just experimenting... New and innovative things are being discovered and forgotten by no-name idiots everyday and you think lou reed did everything that could be done with guitar feedback... There are homemade pedals now that weren't even conceptualized in lou reeds time... So I guess what I am saying is... If thiss is the future of noise... you can enjoy the same failure as punk without ever having the mainstream appeal.
Noise, Bread and Cheese

Soulsick666

Post by Soulsick666 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:31 am

amen

pcrv

Post by pcrv » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:43 pm

"Knowledge of your gear and how to use it takes skill. Sure maybe not the same amount of skill as in playing the guitar but it still takes skill."

i was reading though this thread and noticed this remark. i just wanted to reply to this statement. i play bass guitar. i imagine that a few of you play guitar or bass. i've played bass for over 15 years and in many situations including concert bands, jazz bands, all kinds of rock bands. the list goes on. and this is just personal experieince with playing regular music and noise music. i feel that noise equipment, whatever it may be for each person, is way harder to learn than regular instruments. instruments are designed to play a certain way. every aspect is accounted for. the notes are laid out for you, technique is laid out for you and so on. all you have to learn is technique plus the theory behind it all is universal. we all read the same notes and so on. with noise music, the gear is not as stable. now some gear we all use is, mixers, patch cords, certain pedals, synth. but their properties are not. especially people who use circuit bend gear or broken or cracked consumer electronics. there's a certain randomness and uncertainty that we as noise musicians want out of gear. the whole triumph is aquiring something amazing out of unorthodox gear and techniques. because we have no universal way of doing things(which is actually becoming a reality) we don't have old tricks to fall on to. with guitars its all spelled out for you. you just have to get to that level what ever it may be. just like noise you can bang out bullshit on any instrument and get something. actually a total idiot could blast some shit on a trumpet and get a cd put out of "experimental" music. to the general public noise music is a joke. WE make noise. not music in their minds. so whatever we do. a baby could do the same.

anyways, i don't care if people ask how to do noise. i did when i started. but the desire to play out-there music was always there. i quit playing conventional music years before i started doing "noise". interest and education is a good thing. but please explore without influence.

alspal

Post by alspal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:20 pm

does all noise music have to have feedback?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:39 pm

alspal wrote:does all noise music have to have feedback?
No but you might use feedback without even realising it with some equipment.

flowersniffer7

Post by flowersniffer7 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:20 am

true that... feedback is a natural entity in many circuits and most people are not aware of its presence... Feedback is by no means necessary, but it is almost unavoidable.
Noise, Bread and Cheese

Gecko

Post by Gecko » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:12 am

many artist use feedback without realizing, a part of the sustain with electric guitars is just the guitar gettin part of the sound of the amp and feedbacking it to make the notes sound longer, and this was happening since a long long time