Show us yr DIY!

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

FireAlarmPoet

Re: Show us yr DIY!

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 am

Two fairly simple bends: just switched 1/8" jacks. There was nothing else of interest to add for either of yhem, except maybe a resistor to smooth out the volume a bit. Also both of them have this sort of delay period when being switched from jack output to speaker output: no idda what that's about. I paimted the gun orange and it does a simple gunshot noise; the green box I got at Dollar Tree and some of the sound effects are unbelievably low quality, to where you can hear digital artifacts from what was likely an already lowbit sample of a rimshot.
DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in the past on this account may not accurately reflect my current beliefs, especially those prior to 2017.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Nice. have you tried power starve for otherwise non-bendable stuff? I've sometimes had good luck interrupting the positive wire from the battery with a 1k or less pot to find the sweet spot where it starts crashing/distorting

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Yeah, I even have a list next to my desk of "universal bends" including starve pot, mute, bypass, etc.
Funny enough that halloween flashlight had some good starve sounds. Usually those kinds if toys, the ones where the ICs are covered up by black blobs, simply cut off the sample they're playing early when the voltage is too low. That was certainly the case with the gun and sfx box. I could've added one of those other universal bends, but at that point it's just not worth it: they're already too simple. I'd rather save the parts & focus on more complex projects.
DISCLAIMER: opinions expressed in the past on this account may not accurately reflect my current beliefs, especially those prior to 2017.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:43 am

Hey FAP, have you ever thought about selling geeked out gear?
Guys like me buy stuff lik this...if it's not too expensive.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Yes, in fact I've been sitting on a few near-identical white noise machines (not like the one I did this year but you've probably seen ones like them in thrift stores) for the purpose of "mass-producing" them for sale. I still a ways from getting around to them, though.
I could part with either of those two I just posted; if you'd like, I could tally up a price and get back to you on that via PM.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Non-RMA design (based on opamp Big Muff)

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Weird request, but... can I see the underside of that board?
I want to get into the habit of using perfboard in the future, but from the ones I'm seeing online, I don't quite get how the ones with the "scratch-away" strips work. I've only ever used perf twice and it was a disaster; again I want to get into the habit of using it again, but I've yet to mqke something that works on it.

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:43 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 pm
...I could tally up a price and get back to you on that via PM.
I'm in no rush, but it's good to know

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:53 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Weird request, but... can I see the underside of that board?
I want to get into the habit of using perfboard in the future, but from the ones I'm seeing online, I don't quite get how the ones with the "scratch-away" strips work. I've only ever used perf twice and it was a disaster; again I want to get into the habit of using it again, but I've yet to mqke something that works on it.
I'm using protoboard here (http://futurlec.com/Protoboards.shtml specifically a cut in half piece of proto777)

I started building it on a pad per hole and then decided it would be easier to undo a prototype I had and use this stuff, as it's easier to use. The perpendicular rails are a dream to work with.

Regarding stripboard, I find it's fastest to tap each cut point (typically centered on a hole) with a drill. Just enough to clear out the copper. You're then left with something conceptually similar to the protoboard, in which you have a number of pads connected by the trace.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:24 am

Started this years ago, recently rescued it from the to-do pile and finished. :) Ciat-Lonbarde 'Lil Sidrassi' built from the paper circuit: http://ciat-lonbarde.net/paper/man/index.html

Would have been a LOT easier if i'd have actually lined up the front and back properly when i glued them down :doh:

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:25 pm

timdrage wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:24 am

That's beautiful! How long before it earns blood spatters?

TerminallyBlue

Post by TerminallyBlue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:58 am

Is there any good resource for a science idiot who barely clawed out of compulsory physics/mathematics classes to start understanding this? I would like to try my hand at an APC first, and then maybe some circuit bending and stuff, make some cool sound generators (I feel like I am really lacking in that department, and theres only so many times I can rehash radio static and tape manipulations, and I really cant afford buying 200+ noise pedals...), but the only thing I remember about electronic schematics is how an on/off switch works.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 am

crochambeau wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:25 pm
That's beautiful! How long before it earns blood spatters?
Is there any good resource for a science idiot who barely clawed out of compulsory physics/mathematics classes to start understanding this? I
Electronics is art not science :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handmade-Elect ... 0415998735 this book is good, or there's a free PDF which the book was developed from: https://www.nicolascollins.com/texts/or ... manual.pdf . Great ideas and info in those but I know some people who find the guy's writing style/tone very confusing and offputting.

Forrest.M.Mims' electronics books are classics for getting started with this stuff.. nice hand-drawn hand-lettered books which explain stuff really well and contain lots of simple circuits including the original APC before it was called that.

http://electro-music.com/forum/ loooots of DIY info on there.. check out the Lunetta section, there's pinned posts with good starter info.
Lunetta is a name for a style of electronics using CMOS chips which are a very easy and robust way to get some squarewaves happening.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:53 am

you can read this book for the basics if want getting started
http://www.adjutojunior.com.br/eletroni ... derton.pdf
pick super easy design such as APC
then start making some protoboards or vero/stripboards
this is advanced APC type device
http://www.synthrotek.com/wp-content/up ... ctions.pdf
have the schematic around here somewhere... wayback
https://web.archive.org/web/20110929052 ... c_1_03.pdf
when you can figure basic APC out as simple test
then you can read schematics
next step create advanced APC VOS & sound generators/diy FX pedals
start collecting your schematics, tools, & "components"
read that old Electronic Projects for Musicians book/PDF
for grasping the basics
Gluck

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:54 am

Personally speaking, the APC may have a bit too much fiddly soldering for a beginner and not enough "This does that" sort of learning. I've been recommending the Bazz Fuss (http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html). It's an effect, not a synth, but the parts can be spaced far apart for easy soldering practice, and there's so many ways to easily change it, I find it makes learning concepts easier.

Just my 2 cents.