Show us yr DIY!

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:42 am

True-bypassed wah and added a futuristic LED strip because it was easier and more fun than drilling a hole for a normal LED

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:24 am

timdrage wrote:True-bypassed wah and added a futuristic LED strip because it was easier and more fun than drilling a hole for a normal LED

Does it dim when you work the pedal?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:17 am

Ha no it just indicates that the effect is on, that would be great but I doubt it'd be easy to find a double pot that'd fit in there :)

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:06 pm

Be doable with a Morley.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:18 pm

timdrage wrote:Ha no it just indicates that the effect is on, that would be great but I doubt it'd be easy to find a double pot that'd fit in there :)
Just put a vactrol on it in parallel dooooooooooooooooood

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:49 pm

xdugef wrote:
timdrage wrote:Ha no it just indicates that the effect is on, that would be great but I doubt it'd be easy to find a double pot that'd fit in there :)
Huh?
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:28 am

Misomusist wrote:
xdugef wrote:
Huh?
take the output from the pot on expression pedal as the pos input on the led side of the vactrol. If it's not strong enough to power the led then it'll need a opamp

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:02 am

Tim was right, you'd need a double pot, the signal thru the pot would be dependent on the source signal, and would be AC, the vactrol would act slightly like a clipping diode, but it would need a buffer, with an op-amp and some other stuff you might be able to get the LED to dance to the signal, but it wouldn't really indicate the wah was being used.

Morley's use optoelectronics for their wah, so you could fit another LDR into the light source, and use it to control the LED's.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:04 am

Misomusist wrote:you'd need a double pot,
That'd be convenient but I still don't think it's necessary. I also wasn't suggesting that the lights would dance in time with the audio.. just dim when you work the pedal.

At any rate .. it were necessary instead of trying to find a double pot that fit.. I'd mount a second pot and 3d print a gear for it that could be driven by the existing mechanism.

Misomusist wrote:Morley's use
Is that what Tim's pedal is?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Cool ideas but i am not going to bother this time. :D
Is that what Tim's pedal is?
It's not actually mine, and It's a Dunlop crybaby of some kind

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 pm

I think there's space behind it for a double pot, i think there's just a fork in the casting the pot is clamped to by the shaft, and that's it, nothing behind it, so there might be space.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 pm

You can get ridiculously compact dual gang pots, but I think this says it all:
timdrage wrote:Cool ideas but i am not going to bother this time. :D
:wtg:

Looks cool man, I dig it.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 pm

crochambeau wrote:
Thanks :) Here it is in action the other day as part of our setup for Isn'tses, It photographs very futuristically :)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:05 am

timdrage wrote:
crochambeau wrote:
Thanks :) Here it is in action the other day as part of our setup for Isn'tses, It photographs very futuristically :)

you should mount rows of them around the perimeter of the table :wtg:

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Haha yes. definitely going to mess with more of this stuff now i realise how relatively affordable and easy it is. Tempted by the massive rolls of computer-controllable RGB led strips on ebay..