Show us yr DIY!

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:28 am

Muffwiggler does not like hosting images.

What is your fascination with huge animated gifs in your sig?

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 am

Annoyance value?

I dunno, I blocked all that shit, I'm just wondering when fire is gonna fix his sig, or get banned for fucking up every thread he posts in.

What's a muffwiggler? I have a loose jack on my muff input and have to wiggle it, does that count?
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 am

crochambeau wrote:Muffwiggler does not like hosting images.
Ah.. I was afraid of that.. I have fixed the link
crochambeau wrote:What is your fascination with huge animated gifs in your sig?
:lmao:

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:14 am

Misomusist wrote:Annoyance value?

I dunno, I blocked all that shit
Can you give me a tip? It was a motivating factor in my losing interest with this place a few years ago and I'd just as soon silence it now since I saw and enjoyed that gif for five seconds a week or so ago and would like now to move on with my life..

..without, naturally, impinging on xdugef's "freedoms" and all that.

(I'm torn, since I do like to look at them passing through feeds, so blocking them all based on browser isn't ideal)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 am

crochambeau wrote: Can you give me a tip?
I think AdBlock can let you block specific images

fire

Post by fire » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:29 am

Misomusist wrote:I'm just wondering when fire is gonna fix his sig, or get banned for fucking up every thread he posts in.
1. doesnt fuck up the entire thread just the rest of the page after
2. it has been fixed, several times, xome just alters my sig, i notice, and alter it back
3. typical liberal logic, jumping on me for being industrious and getting the most out of my board experience, why not flip some shit at bob for not fixing the code?
4. BFD, GTFO & GFY, TY
broadcasting from the post-internet wasteland

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:35 pm

xdugef wrote:
crochambeau wrote: Can you give me a tip?
I think AdBlock can let you block specific images
Marvelous, thank you. May you enjoy your sigs for long expanses of time. ;)

fire

Post by fire » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:19 pm

[/quote]
broadcasting from the post-internet wasteland

FireAlarmPoet

Re: Show us yr DIY!

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:25 pm

phone bell 120vac (111217).JPG
phone bell 120vac (111217).JPG (246.98 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
On the fence about this one. It's a bell ripped from a rotary phone and put in a box with a contact mic. Footswitch alternates between contact mic recording bell (with pot controlling voltage/current through bell) and bypass with no power to bell. Might remove pot as the variety it's intended to introduce is nothing to write home about... that and the minor issue of being a 120vac shock hazard without the knob. Tried to fix that only for a brief fireworks show to ensue (I'm unharmed) but overall the effort just didn't seem worth it. Even after all the safety precautions I could realistically implement, the gutshot is too embarrassing to post. That's it, I'm going back to bending toys and maybe pedals; really anything that doesn't need to be plugged directly into the wall.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Maybe use a cheap lightswitch dimmer in place off pot? Probably easier than building a circuit yourself.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:43 pm

PS doesn't phone stuff run on DC 24-48V?

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Misomusist wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 pm
Maybe use a cheap lightswitch dimmer in place off pot? Probably easier than building a circuit yourself.
Good idea, but I'll probably shelve this one away so the point is moot. No sense investing more $ in a one-trick pony.
PS doesn't phone stuff run on DC 24-48V
Probably, but I don't have a bench supply to try it out. Tried sticking a bunch of 9v batteries in series a while back; from what I can remember it either did nothing or only made the mallet jump a smidge. Plus it seems to work as normal at 120v. The point where the bell just about shuts off in this circuit is at ~40k ohm (The pot is 100k) so I don't know.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Might scrap the switch and pot in favor for a dpdt arcade button, like an old intercom design.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:29 pm

I highly suggest looking at datasheets of any and all parts used in conjunction with AC mains.

For chopping a dimmer control would work, and it's self contained. Otherwise an SCR or triac can effectively pad an AC mains line, but you need other circuitry involved (read my first line again).

Another option might be a variable speed control for electric motors.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:40 pm

a.jpg
a.jpg (87.07 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

This is a switchbox that essentially switches channels e.g. input A goes to output B and input B goes to output A when activated. Same principle applies for ins/outs C/D.
b.jpg
b.jpg (73.8 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

Continuing to improve upon my craft. Lot's of things I would do differently here should I do it again some time, chief among them:
-buy new drill bits
-buy new drum sanding sleeves, if I fail to find a quicker method of sanding shit down
-in fact, invest in power tools in general
-get more of these enclosures, try paint or something that'll make them stand out from each other
-figure out a better way to mount LED's that doesn't involve glue
-do not for the love of christ get flux in the shafts of the footswitches; the damn CD/DC switch still sticks after two separate coats of first isopropyl alcohol and later laquer thinner
-find a more efficient way to tie grounds to chassis (see butch method below)
c.jpg
c.jpg (254.21 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Last edited by FireAlarmPoet on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.