Show us yr DIY!

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sat May 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Finished this today for my drone doom band:

Sounds like this:

https://soundcloud.com/bipolar-joe/subsynth

Plug in your headphones or listen through decent speakers. Sounds ace solo or through MD-2 + Verbzilla.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun May 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Finally got around modding that paper jamz effects unit:
I found the existing line-out too quiet so I ran leads from the speaker traces to an alternate output. I also made the smart decision to leave the speaker itself intact for the option of creating mic feedback from it instead of an external amplifier.
I'm assuming the existing line-out is short for line-level because a recording test revealed it to be far more dynamic than I thought. It's still a quiet signal, but a clean signal that can be pushed to be louder. albiet through great effort.
On the other hand, the alternate output has much more gain to it therefore is more ideal for putting it in an fx chain.
Unit persists to have weird problems in other areas. The volume will inexplicably drop to half and lock-up the volume slider. Luckily this can be fixed quickly with a hard reset i.e. off-on.
Similarly, I only ever heard a third song once: usually two of the three slots are occupied by the same song.
Audio sample will be shared via PM, but only to those who have been keeping up with Game Grumps for the past 9 months.

Lint remover, $2 at a thrift.
Manufactured 1987, mint in packaging for approximately three hours before I tried it out.
Still haven't recorded anything with it yet.
Inspired by an old Raytownians' setup:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s205 ... _wallz.jpg

And this one's for MKULTRA:
Contact mic'd tape splicer.
Why not.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Sun May 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Unit persists to have weird problems in other areas.
The thing I found with my paper jamz guitar is the it worked fine just playing it on its own but became unresponsive/unpredictable when connected to a bunch of pedals: I think maybe interference from my other gear, or something to do with grounding it to other things, plays havoc with the capacitance-sensitive touch controls....?

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun May 04, 2014 6:11 pm

I'll see if that theory holds water when I eventually get it in a chain; right now I'm too busy making an arse out of myself by auto-tuning my voice. Turns out auto-tuned noise isn't terribly exciting though again haven't tried it in a chain yet so there could be hope still :D

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon May 05, 2014 5:36 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:Audio sample will be shared via PM, but only to those who have been keeping up with Game Grumps for the past 9 months.
Exaggerating value through scarcity? I don't know if it works that way, let us know what you find.

Needed an interface to introduce external signal to tube oscillator stages.

DC blocking caps are to enable ground referenced patching into spots with 250 volt B+.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Mon May 05, 2014 6:14 am

crochambeau wrote:Exaggerating value through scarcity
Far from it; I just made up a little diddy that wouldn't make sense to someone who hasn't seen the show.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 am

Fixed up two Spectrums a bit, tho the keys on the bottom one are already not working properly again, I think it needs a whole new keyboard membrane rather than just my quick attempt at repairing the ribbon cable. :( Anyway I successfully modified both for composite video, really easy hack where you just bypass the RF modulator entirely and use the same phono socket. Managed to convery a few promising music softwares to wav and load them from ipod, tho it needs some boost/amplification to work. I might build some little box to make the whole fiddly rigmarole of adaptors and amplification self-contained. :)

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Added a filter frequency knob, made the envelope faster, increased the filter range, increased the resonance horribly. = amazing harsh noise tool worthy of a precious Takashi Murakami sticker.

In the interests of actually FINISH A THING for once I resisted the temptation to turn this thing into a poorman's Sherman Filterbank but it seems like there are a lot more mods one could do, or even just the ones I did could be usefully knob-controlled if the thing was rehoused.

Zugzwang Productions

Post by Zugzwang Productions » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:45 am

A little DIY thingy I did today, full caveman-style with adhesive tape, paper and bits of stuff laying around. The idea was to have a support that could hold a magnetic tape in place while I drag it accross a tape head.

vnmb

Post by vnmb » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:36 pm

new wearable noise maker I made with a can shot with a bb gun and a contact mic. I used a pre-amp from a rock band mic for the contact mic and I use the mic cover from the rock band mic to rub on the can to make noise.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:29 am

I'll probably be inviting parasitic oscillation with this mess, but it is easy on the eyes..

Zugzwang Productions

Post by Zugzwang Productions » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:50 am

More infos in the description !

FatDoyle

Post by FatDoyle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm

So I made this a couple weeks ago, with 2 guitar string and 2 bass string, I taped a contact microphone plugged in a Metal Zone MT2.

Here is a track I made with this and some simple tape manipulation:
https://soundcloud.com/fatdoyle/untitled

ablablablablabla

Post by ablablablablabla » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:12 am

"I dance very slowly. The entire thing takes several months, you don't really notice it"
- Bipolar Joe