Show us yr DIY!

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

FireAlarmPoet

Re: Show us yr DIY!

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm

ddd.jpg
ddd.jpg (219.95 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Adorably anachronistic beeper/brick phone toy circuit bent with two contacts that serve as a pitch bend. Much more butch than the switchbox. The yellow zip ties at the melty top hold a salvaged switch to toggle between speaker and jack outputs, as a switched 1/4" jack was too big to implement. There's also supposed to be an LED to the lower right of the "D" in "WORLD" but I forgot to put it back in. Screw it (lost some of the screws incidentally). Makes some amusing record scratch-like noises if handled right.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 pm

What was once this...
cool-keys-kids-electronic-musical_1_e944f9cc8e081c8b0ff041af0ddbb80d.jpeg
cool-keys-kids-electronic-musical_1_e944f9cc8e081c8b0ff041af0ddbb80d.jpeg (27.09 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
...became this:
1.jpg
1.jpg (251.17 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
This is a little 8-bit-sounding keyboard toy modded with a 1/4" jack and a pitch knob. The bizarre wire coming out of it acts as a kind of stylus, used for playing the 'keys' on the exposed end of the PCB like a gakken synth or stylophone, hence the crude pun. It's surprisingly fun, wish I had saved the whole thing instead of just the PCB.

Looking at youtube videos of this thing, it's been bent before and better. Of course freeform delusion does basically everything better, so I guess I can't be irked too much. I have no idea how he implemented/found(?) the long sustain mod, though.

I repurposed a VHS-C case for the enclosure. Also repurposed a salvaged battery compartment from 318,549,623 years ago. Zip ties and brass clips hold down the pcb and were intended to provide support as well (they didn't).

Gut shot:
2.jpg
2.jpg (248.66 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

fire

Post by fire » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 am

FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:40 pm
-do not for the love of christ get flux in the shafts of the footswitches
nice work man... try some mineral spirits on that flux
broadcasting from the post-internet wasteland

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:35 am

Yes! Keep it up. Power tools are excellent investments.

Here's a pass at some recent work of my own:

http://crochambeau.blogspot.com/

TL;DR version:

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Your hack-fu has become impressive, FAP, I'm really interested in hearing the telephone.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 am

I know you aren't supposed to compare yourself against other people, but Croch's solder wizardy and engineering prowess makes me feel worthless every time.

I have two of those Cool Keys things myself, FAP. I've decided that I want to rackmount them and supply them with MIDI input and pitch/voltage starves to create independently sequenceable/tuneable tones, with the stock membrane buttons accessible from the front (it's been a long time since I measured them, but I think they could fit in a 19" space with enough trimming). It's complete overkill, and I'm way too lazy and unequipped for such a project, but I still think it'd be really cool.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 am

¼ dead wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 am
I know you aren't supposed to compare yourself against other people, but Croch's solder wizardy and engineering prowess makes me feel worthless every time.
Please don't feel worthless!

(this forum needs the hug emoji)

I do apologize for that side effect (I am aware, and a similar social function is what pared way back my posting about my gear in general several years ago). This is what I do. Building stuff is where I placed my immersion of energy decades back, and the quality of work is a byproduct of my living/eating/shitting/thinking gear. It is also a far cry from that mythical level of perfection, or even optimum, but I am happy with it so I'll share.

I wouldn't wish the necessity of fixation for survival on anyone, but we're all sort of mis-wired around these parts. I broke that build down to illustrate some solutions to some issues that could hopefully assist anyone, and am guilty of glossing over a bunch of stupid pitfalls I tripped up on in that build.

Though I did mention the stupid reverse wiring of the gain pot.. :doh:

Keep on keeping on! hahahaha

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am

I can empathise a bit with Ray. Early on, trying to fix more complicated things, it would get fixed, but I'd break something else in the process, fall victim to the phantom extra-screws, etc. People like The Post-Apocalyptic Inventor on YouTube makes me envious of the amount of cheap old tools people can find in other countries. Cracking through the not-being-shit barrier is tough, it's like exercise. You see no benefit until pretty late in the game. I do like seeing something done well, though, and Curtis is the best on the board. I'd pick your brain more if I didn't think I'd be a pain in the arse.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks for the kind words!
Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am
I'd pick your brain more if I didn't think I'd be a pain in the arse.

I love trying to help out, so don't hesitate to badger me on stuff. We're on the internet, so it's easy enough for me to reroute focus on something else if I need to (time delay in response, etc.).

I don't do chat well since it puts real time demands on the context of conversation, but my username at gmail is a pretty solid format if ever you, or anyone else here want to talk gear outside the spotlight. There are stupid questions, but it's important to be able to laugh at that. ;)

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 am

Roughly a year ago I acquired one of these things:
snick0.jpg
snick0.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
It's basically a doorstop that makes a 'wew-wew-wew-wew' sound when the pedal is pressed down, and loops indefinitely until the door/foot/whatever is removed. I thought this would be great for a pedal of a different kind, but to make a long story short the original casing no longer became an option and I wanted to clean up my existing modifications anyways, so skip forward to a few days ago and it has a new home:
snick1.jpg
snick1.jpg (190.85 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
First off, this enclosure was a pain in the ass to work with: not recommended. It's one of those cheap holiday tins that's super malleable, so I had to place a block of wood behind every hole I was going to cut to prevent the drill bit ripping the whole box to shreds. Space is also an issue, as the 2xAA compartment inside has a tendency to weave itself in-between or under the in/out jacks making it difficult to remove without damaging the circuit (still need to find a better method for mounting tiny pcbs than simply letting them hang).

Next, onto the meat & potatoes: the 3pdt switch toggles between the aforementioned 'wew-wew-wew' noise straight to the output (or a speaker inside the tin if no jack is inserted in the output), to simply passing whatever's in the input through to the output. There's probably a way to blend the noise and input signals together but I couldn't be arse'd with it.

Volume pot really shines with line-out, not so much with the built-in speaker; should be self-explanatory. Speed of course controls the clock speed/pitch. It's the "DOOOOOOM" switch that needs some explaining: it toggles between the normal range of the speed pot, to adding an absurdly high resistance on top of that (500Mohm I think?). This turns the aforementioned 'wew-wew' into a slow, sputtering creep, hence the name of the project.

I even added a crappy logo:
snick2.jpg
snick2.jpg (168.31 KiB) Viewed 1797 times

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

[
Last edited by MKULTRA on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:53 am

Love it! Echoing the rice paper sentiment.
FireAlarmPoet wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 am
(still need to find a better method for mounting tiny pcbs than simply letting them hang)
Do you have any mounting points to work with? I've seen this done:

Where that little bar slides into a slot cut in the wooden enclosure and is held in place when the case is buttoned up (there is of course another on the other side).

Another option is grabbing something like this, which gives you a zip tie point you can adhere to anywhere:

https://smile.amazon.com/Startech-HC102 ... =0&ie=UTF8

Zugzwang Productions

Post by Zugzwang Productions » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Pleasantly surprised to see this forum still active ! I've been really getting into circuit bending/electronics for the past two years, meddling with simple circuits and trying to make them even simpler for kids workshops and such. Here are two projects I worked on for this job :
Loopcard - a DIY lo-fi looper in kit
https://youtu.be/snDB1mN3qEw

Forêt Sonnante - a interactive sound/light installation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2e0N4yhZpA

As I said, those were aimed at kids and "non-noise" people, so I made them as fun and intuitive as possible.
Now, this third project is the complete opposite, it's a full-on NOISE generator. It's built on CMOS chips, but my goal was to avoid building another fancy 555 oscillator or Atari Punk Console.

I present you the CANNIBAL - Monophonic Catastrophic CMOS synth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJXPgvHRkZM
- 6 oscillators
- voltage starve
- frequency modulation
- frequency divider (octave down)

I am pretty satisfied with the range of sounds you can get from that thing : drone, HNW, glitch, and plenty of other shrieks, yelps and coughs ! I will be doing a first run of 10 with an screenprinted aluminium enclosure (because yes I am fancy like that). Write at leveque.jeanbaptiste @ gmail if you're interested !