Your recent purchases:

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Dyecap

Post by Dyecap » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:59 am

...Rack struts for non sequenced sampler fkry...
...possibly...

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:59 pm

jliat wrote:
Misomusist wrote:So if you have talent, you might get rich and famous, if you have no talent, you might get rich and famous.

I think Croch was spot on with the bollocks detecting :mrgreen:
He might be - as you've produced a strawman.

Your original point was bollocks - if you like the term.

One similar goes-

Avant Garde art is often shocking. Cutting edge stuff often offends at first…

Therefore anything shocking or offensive is cutting edge and avant garde….

Maybe you can't see the error?

Ducks are birds that can swim.

A bird that swims is a duck….

Trump is a male American who talks Bollocks

Male Americans talk bollocks

Further so like Croch - you think that talent never has anything to do with fame and riches.
All those sports guys, entertainers, film stars, musicians were un-talented?

Mozart, Hendrix, Lennon…a long list IMO all as talented / less as Justin Bieber - is that what you think? I happen not to.
I believe your original point was talent = fame and fortune.
Then you mitigated with some famous / rich people are not talented.
We further mitigated that there are many talented people who are not rich or famous.

Draw your own conclusions. :mrgreen:
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Misomusist wrote:
I believe your original point was talent = fame and fortune.
Then you mitigated with some famous / rich people are not talented.
We further mitigated that there are many talented people who are not rich or famous.

Draw your own conclusions. :mrgreen:
My original quote was in response to the "I dont rely on gear to mske good noise! It's a crutch for untalented posers"

If you read the whole of it you might see I was being a little provocative as the idea that noise doesn't require gear might be true but I very much doubt it. You made a humorous comment to this effect. IMO you don't need talent to make noise. Hence the volcanoes and avalanches reference. So you and crochambeau took the joke seriously. IDK why?

You reversed the point - and concluded I was a Bieber fan.

I showed the mistake in your logic- in good fun.

This "We" who 'further mitigated' I'm not aware of as neither you or crochambeau mentioned any talented people who were not rich or famous*. (yourselves?) Further you seem to think that all artists who are rich and famous have no talent - your example Bieber - crochambeau's American Politics…

So my own conclusions - yes I've drawn them.

*There is a myth about the starving artist put about- mainly based on Hollywood's portrayals. Maybe you and crochambeau believe in this. I think in Art only Van Gough fits this cliché. Maybe there are others - but in popular music? I'd say there are lots of people with some skills who never made it, and maybe they get bitter about this, but most who did make it seem to have had something more - in many cases in the recent past - talent. Check out the RIP list on Maniacs…

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:49 pm

timdrage wrote:Your recent purchases:

EMU

for the talentless ....poser....

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 am

Your absolutely right, your detailed and logical arguments have me totally convinced. The sheer scope and breadth of the information you provide is astounding and I reverse my original position entirely.

And here's a pic of legs I am working on to appease Herr Drage.

I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:57 am

Misomusist wrote: I think discussing music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.
:roll:

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:49 am

jliat wrote:
Claud601 wrote:I dont rely on gear to mske good noise! It's a crutch for untalented posers
Noise can only be made by 'untalented posers'

If anyone in noise had talent they would soon be rich and famous... it should be obvious - but then you don't need much thought either to do noise....

Volcanoes and avalanches have very low I.Q.s
I recently bought some transistors!

jliat wrote:Noise can only be made by 'untalented posers'
To which I reply: fuck you.
jliat wrote:Noise can only be made by 'untalented posers'
Go ahead and read through the convoluted circular argument, starting from the statement you made above.
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 am

For goodness sake what's the matter with you guys - I was replying to someone who was claiming
that gear is a crutch for untalented posers. I wasn't making an argument!

If you think you are some noise genius - great artist - good for you - its just that I'd argue that noise is such that whatever you or anyone produces will sound no significantly different to the noise made by untalented posers. It's the nature of noise.

I threw all my past music career in the garbage. There was no longer any need for concepts like 'career' and 'skill'. I stopped playing music and went in search of an alternative.
-Masami Akita

So fuck you…

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:20 am

Last edited by MKULTRA on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:07 am

MKULTRA wrote:Jliat, just fuck off you unmitigated pompous ass.

It is quite obvious you haven't had many people in your life telling you that you are wrong. We know how impressed you are with yourself.
I'm not that impressed with myself - I like to discuss issues around noise - sure. A few people tell me I'm wrong - like Misomusist who claims that opinions on noise are like 'favourite colour or deity or pizza topping.' In which case its odd he like you is so upset about my choice.

Others actually don't. Your so offensive perhaps I should quote some - but I doubt if it will help. You've made up your mind about me - that's OK..
MKULTRA wrote: You think that our lives are empty and unfulfilled unless you impart some long winded comment or theory that is unrelated to anything everyone else is talking about.
Show me where I've done this and I'd gladly withdraw or apologise. I'm always worried when someone like you speaks for some supposed group? Maybe you do? Maybe you don't like a single person not agreeing with your party.
MKULTRA wrote: YOU ALWAYS COME ACROSS AS A BLOVIATING CONDESCENDING SHIT REGARDLESS.
Regardless of what. Are you part of some anti-intellectual brotherhood? Sorry -you'd prefer pseudo intellectual…

Just to put it right, I don't think anyone's life empty or unfilled. You don't have to read what I write, and ALL I've said here is that you don't need talent to make noise. Which I think is a good thing- as anyone can do it. So why so upset?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:44 am

jliat wrote:If you think you are some noise genius - great artist - good for you
hahaha, okay then, I missed the part where you were being tongue in cheek I guess. Since you carry yourself with an unyielding seriousness (it seems) I considered your statement at face value. I tend to do that.

It wasn't some far reaching personal insult (though yeah, I may have framed it as such), but the sense that NOISE and TALENT are incompatible.

Anyway, I resent that every time I interact with you it's essentially arguing on the internet (being useless) so, I don't know what to make of that. I'm not the only one though, so yeah, there is that.

I also nabbed one of these yesterday because it has low batteries and just moans:

Also, fuck you back, haha
I have no suggestion for software.
http://www.rochambeau.net/

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:02 am

You need something else in your life that moans? :shock:

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:10 am

crochambeau wrote:
jliat wrote:If you think you are some noise genius - great artist - good for you
hahaha, okay then, I missed the part where you were being tongue in cheek I guess. Since you carry yourself with an unyielding seriousness (it seems) I considered your statement at face value. I tend to do that.
I'm serious about noise but that's not to say i don't make jokes when talking about it... and long ago i was made aware that some here and elsewhere don't like my theorizing about it - but should that make me stop? I get to publish stuff and present papers - and its amazing how little people know about it. I think noise should have room for everyone to discuss what it is or the gear or whatever… but not just to throw insults. Though obviously we had tons of that here and on the other board. Maybe some do think they are talented and skilful, but that just makes noise like everything else - elitist. Which is OK but I'd argue it cant be, and take the insults.
crochambeau wrote: It wasn't some far reaching personal insult (though yeah, I may have framed it as such), but the sense that NOISE and TALENT are incompatible.

Anyway, I resent that every time I interact with you it's essentially arguing on the internet (being useless) so, I don't know what to make of that. I'm not the only one though, so yeah, there is that.
Yes I'm aware I provoke people, its strange they make what they think is provocative noise…
and call it experimental… and yet rarely these days are any real discussions on noise on these boards. Just gear and self promotion. But I don't see why its not possible. I do think anti intellectualism or anti pseudo intellectualism is not healthy though.

Now I need to buy some gear to make Tim happy-

softmachine

Post by softmachine » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:12 pm

i got a Digitech death metal

and i have the weekend off to use it!!! (sorry in advance, downstairs neighbour, i promise i'll make you some nice cakes or something to make it up to you)