Your recent purchases:

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:47 am

xdugef wrote:
Claud601 wrote:
breh if you have a laptop just use that with DAW and you'll have as many loops as you want. no one will care
Gee a laptop.. Never crossed my mind :wtg:
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

Laura91

Post by Laura91 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:57 am

:lol: Wow....

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Claud601 wrote:
I skimmed through the online user manual and it has kits.. so you can load your own kits (arrangements of samples) each kit can be no larger than 48mb (60mb according to a review I just read). I don't know how many kits you can have total (I'm gonna guess 99) but at least dozens or how long it takes to load a full kit.
cool but can you save your custom banks to0?[/quote]

Every bank is a custom bank?

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:16 am

xdugef wrote:Just received an Akai MPX16

So had a chance to play around with this device this morning.. it's pretty cool and easy to use. A few functions that are not immediately obvious like how to save a kit. Gotta press the +/- buttons at the same time.

My two complaints are that when you power off and then on again it does not automatically load the kit you were in... this is not a deal breaker but it sucks.

The other is that it does not have a sequencer.. I knew that when buying it and is not really an issue for how I want to use it but it'd be much better if you could at least record a loop of playing. I don't think you can sample yourself playing to a new sample which is one really handy thing you can do on the Roland SP 555 and 303.

Basically if you want a bunch of pads where you can trigger samples this thing does the trick and it does load new kits pretty fast.

Re: MIDI.. I haven't tested it.. don't really care about it right now.. the reviews I read said that midi support on this thing is not good.. apparently it receives midi on all channels (get a channel router plebes) but also read that it drops notes.. which shouldn't really happen if it can support 64 note polyphony... maybe they didn't setup the choke groups correctly? I have no idea.

Sleep Of Ages

Post by Sleep Of Ages » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:55 am

What about the filters and envelopes and hit? Cool?

Oh, and, is it easy to hit consistently the pads with the same result? Because the mpx8 is kinda sensible with it's velocity so you end up with some inconsistency (at least if you are not used to it). And I did not find an option to disable it (I'm not a manual readin' kind of guy).
SLEEP OF AGES (Industrial, Harsh Noise, PE)
CARRION BLACK PIT (HNW)
EXU (Industrial)

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Sleep Of Ages wrote:What about the filters and envelopes and hit? Cool?
Seems cool.. I don't think you can set an attack for the SP555 or 303 and I wish they had that feature.
Sleep Of Ages wrote:Oh, and, is it easy to hit consistently the pads with the same result? Because the mpx8 is kinda sensible with it's velocity so you end up with some inconsistency (at least if you are not used to it). And I did not find an option to disable it (I'm not a manual readin' kind of guy).
Yeah I dunno.. the manual is sparse.. guess it needs a setting to change how many steps of volume it has.. fewer steps would mean more consistency

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:11 am

Further notes about the mpx16.. The editing of loop start/end points is limited to a range of 999 steps and takes fucking forever to disl through. Although the SP's aren't much better and it's nearly impossible to get a clean loop point without just doing it on a computer.

I'm probably going to check out an MPC1000 soon

NYX

Post by NYX » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:09 pm

I used the 1000 last night at a show and liked it for a lot for rhythmic stuff. Rodgers 303 is much better suited for the long form loops. I wish the 1000 had a loop function like the 303 where you just hit a pad with drone on it then hit it again to stop at some point. If I were doing the synth thing right I would definitely use the Boss one.

I do enjoy taking a couple of waveform cycles from field recordings, then using the mpc like a rudimentary synth tho, interesting results but very limited. I imagine the jjos would improve some of my complaints but I can never get anything to work with a computer at all and doubt a system MPC update would be any different.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:03 am

NYX wrote:I used the 1000 last night at a show and liked it for a lot for rhythmic stuff. Rodgers 303 is much better suited for the long form loops. I wish the 1000 had a loop function like the 303 where you just hit a pad with drone on it then hit it again to stop at some point. If I were doing the synth thing right I would definitely use the Boss one.

I do enjoy taking a couple of waveform cycles from field recordings, then using the mpc like a rudimentary synth tho, interesting results but very limited. I imagine the jjos would improve some of my complaints but I can never get anything to work with a computer at all and doubt a system MPC update would be any different.
A friend of mine at work wants to sell me his MPC 4000 .. I'm gonna see if he'll let me borrow it so I can check it out.. At this point I can't really afford to buy yet another piece of gear that doesn't do exactly what I need.. lol.. famous last words.

I've spent som emore time with the mpx16.. the weak point in this device is that it does in fact take fucking forever to load samples from the card. Even if you load up a bank that is 1 sec samples.. I guess if they are all 44.1 stereo they are just too big and it's has to load each one. I'm not sure if you can copy them to the internal storage to speed it up or if my SD card is slow.

The good thing about the SP555 is that all the banks are live and loaded all the time.. no waiting. So I'm going to put all the long samples on it and then use the shorter button mashers on the MPX16. The MPX is a better instrument but for a sampler .. the speed it loads banks is terrible. It is nice that you can plug the thing into USB and edit wav files and then reload them.. it's a much easier process than the sp555 but what's the point if switching between banks on the mpx means waiting minutes in a live situation.

Kelmourne

Post by Kelmourne » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Another round of new pedals:

Catalinbread Callisto Chorus/Vibrato
This one sounds incredibly alien when you crank the settings to max. It's definitely gonna find it's way into my next album.

Mooer Shim Verb
It's a reverb pedal that can alternate between room reverb, spring reverb, and "Shimmer" reverb. The shimmer reverb is really unique in its tone. Makes things sound like a dream-sequence.

Mooer Echolizer
As far as I can tell it's just a different sounding echo pedal. I love new echo pedals.

It's awesome because all these Mooer pedals I've been getting recently are on sale for only $50 at the local guitar shop.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:22 am

a new battery backup and a network switch

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:56 am

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Claud601 wrote:Strong-Elastic-Spandex-Mask-hood-with-open-eyes-and-mouth-font-b-holes-b-font-Party.jpg
you gonna do some costume party noise?

Claud601

Post by Claud601 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:13 am

xdugef wrote:
Claud601 wrote:Strong-Elastic-Spandex-Mask-hood-with-open-eyes-and-mouth-font-b-holes-b-font-Party.jpg
you gonna do some costume party noise?
if I get drunk enough perhaps im going to a Halloween party next friday