TSA: "Sir, this is an improvised electronic device.&quo

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

obscurica

TSA: "Sir, this is an improvised electronic device.&quo

Post by obscurica » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:50 pm

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/09/17/ts ... -an-i.html

TSA: "Sir, this is an improvised electronic device."
Posted by Mark Frauenfelder, September 17, 2007 11:52 AM | # | Discuss (18)
This fellow attempted to board a plane with an IED ("improvised electronic device") and was turned away by the TSA.

Yesterday I flew out of Rapid City, SD as part of some work I

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:31 pm

damn.. I don't like the sound of that.. I've managed to do a fair amount of flying with all sorts of "improvised electronic devices" without TSA so much as batting an eye.. in fact they were more concerned with my Mackie Mixer the one time I got stopped.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:34 pm

Oh it appears that this was in his carry-on and I allways check my electronics so maybe nothing to worry about.

greaseenvelope

Post by greaseenvelope » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:42 am

checking your electronics leaves me plenty to worry about. nick (dead/bird, honed bastian) had to spend the first few hours before INC resoldering his "improvised electronic device", which he had checked in his baggage, as someone had obviously opened it up and poked around the insides in a haphazard manner.

I have flown with the cocolase in my carry-on and only had to explain it once. As soon as I said "its a musical instrument" the conversation was over.

renton

Post by renton » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:32 am

greaseenvelope wrote:checking your electronics leaves me plenty to worry about. nick (dead/bird, honed bastian) had to spend the first few hours before INC resoldering his "improvised electronic device", which he had checked in his baggage, as someone had obviously opened it up and poked around the insides in a haphazard manner.

I have flown with the cocolase in my carry-on and only had to explain it once. As soon as I said "its a musical instrument" the conversation was over.
i haven't been back to the states since the whole 9/11 thing, but i'm pretty sure that europe has gotten just as hardcore with airport security. the last flight i took they also took my luggage with gear aside and opened it. i just said i'm an experimental musician. the guy then just used some xray device and that was the end of it.

but i can imagine getting unlucky and having to explain why you have a bag full of weird electronic devices. sorry to hear about that man. could imagine how fun it must have been explaining why you have some self built electronics with you.
somebody get me a fucking burrito!

www.myspace.com/koroshiya
www.splatterarchive.de.vu

dwemmy

Post by dwemmy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:46 am

greaseenvelope wrote:checking your electronics leaves me plenty to worry about. nick (dead/bird, honed bastian) had to spend the first few hours before INC resoldering his "improvised electronic device", which he had checked in his baggage, as someone had obviously opened it up and poked around the insides in a haphazard manner.

I would say you were lucky. My old cocolase (like yours I suppose) had a piece of plexi on the bottom so you could see and wonder at the guts of this instrument. :)

I can easily see a TSA drone imagining it to be some sort of bomb device. Plug it into the laptop and KA-BOOM! :roll:
Derek Baiiey R.I.P. 1930-2005
UVFICliberal secular humanist

Striations

Post by Striations » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 pm

I had my check bag searched for the first time last month

Striations

Post by Striations » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:11 am

Your molten fetus is reconstituted by warm, molten enzymes

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:02 am

The best travel advice I ever got was from XDUGEF. Just tell them you're a DJ, and they figure, OK, sure, off you go. I used to get hassle over my bent Arion pedals, because things wrapped in hazard tape with switches all over them look shady as Hell. Once I started saying I'm a DJ, the conversation stops, and I'm on the plane.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:04 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:The best travel advice I ever got was from XDUGEF. Just tell them you're a DJ, and they figure, OK, sure, off you go. I used to get hassle over my bent Arion pedals, because things wrapped in hazard tape with switches all over them look shady as Hell. Once I started saying I'm a DJ, the conversation stops, and I'm on the plane.
become one with being a DJ.

I did a show recently and afterwards somebody who presumably was present during my set asked me if I was the guy who was just DJ'ing. sigh....

Striations

Post by Striations » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:03 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38535699
I thought TSA screened people for weapons before boarding airplane

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Striations wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38535699
The gun was in a checked bag which they retrieved in the baggage claim area.

Striations

Post by Striations » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:21 pm

xdugef wrote:
Striations wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38535699
The gun was in a checked bag which they retrieved in the baggage claim area.
I understand.

So how could they not know a gun was in a checked bag? doesn't make any sense. Is it just an honor system not to bring a gun / weapon to an airport? I'm confused. So it's ok to bring a weapon to an airport, just don't bring it on the airplane? Confused.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Striations wrote: So how could they not know a gun was in a checked bag? doesn't make any sense. Is it just an honor system not to bring a gun / weapon to an airport? I'm confused. So it's ok to bring a weapon to an airport, just don't bring it on the airplane? Confused.
You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting ... ammunition

I saw this bit recently by a comedian who was remarking how it was stupid that the TSA makes you throw away all liquids because they are presumed to be flammable into a trash can in an area where there are large amounts of people.. probably as many if not more than what would be on the plane.

Striations

Post by Striations » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:55 pm

TSA allows weapons on airplanes. Wow.

What about Ammunition?

This is insane. I guess if we have the right to bare arms then it means transporting arms also.

This seems like quite a hypocrisy if the ultimate goal is safety.