Deteriorated cassette tapes

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

mylenology

Deteriorated cassette tapes

Post by mylenology » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:17 am

Hello, i figured out that after multiple re-recording on the same tape, the sound quality get more and more "low-fi", deteriorated. The more a tape has been used for recording, the less it can record sounds.

To get the picture, i use the regular maxell c90 cassettes to record my stuff, and i got the classical Tascam 414 mkII 4-track recorder.

So basically, it could be a nice way to think your sound and the tape-object. To get a more magnetic sound, a more dynamic and chaotic record quality, to let the magnetic quality take the rules, instead of let it passive, enslaved.
After that, it allows you to re-record on a regular speed your track with a cassette deck (or wathever), to get your final copy. Wich will be the "main tape" of your project, the one you listen to, the one you give to people. Cause of course, nobody listen to a master tape from a 4-track. And that's all the beauty of it. To share your project in his cassette form, you should totally accept that the real tape will be a copy, actually a new sound-object. It will be more compressed, less cleaner than your 4-track master tape.

So just let's continue to spread those unstable and ephemeral analog tapes !