Drum Triggers RULE!

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

Moribund

Drum Triggers RULE!

Post by Moribund » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:26 am

I bought a batch of 5 on ebay a few months ago. I finally tried one out during my set in the TN Woods this weekend. Those things can take some abuse, I punched the tin, thrashed about, etc. Best part is the jack held the cord in pretty well, I ended up unplugged it from the pedal TWICE during my set. Screw building them yourself (I'm a big proponent of DIY) but these were better than any radioshack contact mic I've ever done.

Who else have tried drum triggers?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:16 am

Bob borrowed one from me that i never use.

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:03 am

hell yeah, I've had the opportunity to mess with a drum trigger before and they're definitely built to take some abuse. I've been told you'll do yourself a favor by getting the slightly more expensive ones rather than going the $5 apiece route.

xome

Post by xome » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:24 pm

The one that sir Stimbox gave me works great! I think it's one of those RedHot things. It's super durable.. I usually duct tape the shit out of the connection to make sure nothing pulls loose during live performances.

They SOUND good too... I'm not too knowlegable about how piezo transducers work (perhaps the sound frequency they are supposed to emit when charged) but the frequency ranges are perfect for Xome.,... I have another 'standby' contact mic device but it's using a Radio Shack piezo element. It's only lets really high frequencies through and I hate the sound. (it's a smaller one.. maybe 1 inch in diameter.. maybe smaller?!)

-bob

Moribund

Post by Moribund » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Bob, interesting that you say that. I think a lot of people don't realize that not all contact mics are the same. In fact, they all have various frequency ranges. Generally piezos are used as little buzzer speakers in cheap toys, sirens and other annoying items hence the frequency range. Some of the Radio Shack piezo elements I have found to be too mid/high rangy for my tastes. The drum triggers I have are perfect. I just duct tape it to an altoids tin with some coins in it(hope I didn't put any quarters in it) and have at it. I may consider taping to the pedal but I'm leary on having to pull out the alcohol to remove the sticky goo residue.

sevenarts

Post by sevenarts » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:59 pm

best place to buy some of these cheap? my contact mic died on me recently, been thinking about replacing it...

BurnWard

Post by BurnWard » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:08 pm

"I'm ghetto like the digitech death metal pedal"
existest.org/ghostking
existest.org/burnward

Ataru

Post by Ataru » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:19 pm

Moribund wrote:The drum triggers I have are perfect. I just duct tape it to an altoids tin with some coins in it(hope I didn't put any quarters in it) and have at it.
HA! I've been planing on doing exactly the same thing, those new round Altoid Sours seem like the perfect thing to tape a contact mic to.

Anyone have a recommendation for a specific brand or model of drum trigger for this kind of use? Ideally on the cheap side, heh.

edit: would help if I actually read the entire thread before posting!
cdr's out now on Audiobot, Troniks, Alienation, and RSM
http://www.ruccas.org/index.php?Anthony%20Saunders
http://www.overwhelmed.org/anthony

nkondi

Post by nkondi » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:32 pm

i have a great contact mic that was meant as an acoustic guitar pick up...it has an awesome range, and is molded into a canadian beer bottle cap...

sevenarts

Post by sevenarts » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:42 pm

nkondi wrote:i have a great contact mic that was meant as an acoustic guitar pick up...it has an awesome range, and is molded into a canadian beer bottle cap...
yea, a guy i play with sometimes built a little metal box with a guitar pickup wired in it, it gets a great sound -- he just places objects on it (or hits/scratches it) and it gets these really harsh crackling electricity type sounds.

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:18 pm

sevenarts wrote:
nkondi wrote:i have a great contact mic that was meant as an acoustic guitar pick up...it has an awesome range, and is molded into a canadian beer bottle cap...
yea, a guy i play with sometimes built a little metal box with a guitar pickup wired in it, it gets a great sound -- he just places objects on it (or hits/scratches it) and it gets these really harsh crackling electricity type sounds.
long-standing Rotten Piece technique.

T_R_A_I_L_S

Drum Trigger

Post by T_R_A_I_L_S » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:30 pm

Thanks for the drum trigger tip......looks pretty sturdy going to look into snagging one. As for contact mics i picked up all my piezos from mouser- it was awhile ago and i don

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:08 pm

I want to record my crack head downstairs neighbors arguing.. would these type of mics work well enough applied to the wood floor?

Moribund

Post by Moribund » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:17 pm

xdugef wrote:I want to record my crack head downstairs neighbors arguing.. would these type of mics work well enough applied to the wood floor?
Yup, you may need to amplify the signal but it should work.
http://twitter.com/sirkut
[sirkut electronics website]
http://sirkut.com

Iatrogenesis

Post by Iatrogenesis » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:25 pm

xdugef wrote:I want to record my crack head downstairs neighbors arguing.. would these type of mics work well enough applied to the wood floor?
no, contact mics (or drum triggers, which are basically the same as contact mics when used in context) won't really pick that up well, unless they were speaking directly into the wood. you'd be better off with a boundry or condensor mic and a good pre-amp if you want to pick up nearby dialogue.

I've been using drum triggers as contact microphones for several months now and I love them. THe ones with slightly bigger elements (forget the name) has much a lower frequency response (lower in terms of hz, not range) than the red shot ones, and always feedsback at much lower tones than the red shots (which are generally high/midrange). unfortunately I only had one of those and it cost $20, and is a little damaged now. the red shots have pretty good frequency ranges but probably doesnt go any lower than 100 hz or so. they are really cheap though and hold up well, I especially like that they have female outputs rather than being connected to a longer cord. I got two 5 packs for $30 each from musicians friend and I've only gone through about half in 6 months. unfortunately I got the 5 same-sized packs instead of the 4-1 packs with the extra bass drum trigger (which has a bigger piezo and probably lower frequency response)

but.. the best piezo/contact mic I've ever used was an acoutstic guitar pickup, either Dean Markley or Dimarzio, i cant remember.. incredibly clear tone, and excellent frequency response. i ended up with one for free, but I think they run for at least $80-100 new, unfortunately. I wish mine still worked.