X1L3 noise modules

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

DonaldKrump

X1L3 noise modules

Post by DonaldKrump » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:31 am

Has anyone tried these? Website: https://x1l3.bigcartel.com/ It's like noise all in one module
youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3YGCrZEZck

melkobukva

Re: X1L3 noise modules

Post by melkobukva » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 am

it sounds nice, but...
where's the fun if everything has already been done for you and neatly packaged in one £140.00 box?

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 am

liking the video fx more than the module https://x1l3.bigcartel.com/

DonaldKrump

Post by DonaldKrump » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:10 pm

melkobukva wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 am
it sounds nice, but...
where's the fun if everything has already been done for you and neatly packaged in one £140.00 box?
Great point. I see noise, even if you're all computer, as a more of a DIY (relative to your average pop or electronic band) where you construct sound more from the ground up. I like to mic and process with pedals and run some weird loops and keep things as analog as possible. With this module it does do everything for you. [everything about noise seems so personal - or, ugh, I make it that way]

Still curious though, anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

guill pizarro

Post by guill pizarro » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 am

I know Purgist uses one of these which is how I learned about it. Sounds awesome and definitely something I plan to use in my modular set up when it starts getting built.

As far as having everything all in one box, no one seems to have a problem using Trogotronic gear, so I don't know why this would be any different.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 am

guill pizarro wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 am
As far as having everything all in one box, no one seems to have a problem using Trogotronic gear, so I don't know why this would be any different.
It isn't different. People just get grumpy about tools. Watch some home improvement show where they are building something in a state of the art shop with someone who has built the same thing with a handsaw, hammer, and chisel. Same thing.

I have not tried this either. As a designer/builder of another noise generating platform I would go into it with a competitive bias. Such is life.

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am

crochambeau wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 am
People just get grumpy about tools.

both are tools you can use to make pretty pictures, yes

nothing wrong about using either

however, there is a difference

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 am

My unreleased cover(circa 2002?) of DEEP RED
aka Profondo Rosso Goblin theme
Sequential Circuits Pro One is main synth used
forget anymore what other gear used making this track
http://www.n01ze.com/Muzak/Trax/DeepRedMix.mp3

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:03 pm

melkobukva wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am
crochambeau wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 am
People just get grumpy about tools.

both are tools you can use to make pretty pictures, yes

nothing wrong about using either

however, there is a difference
There IS indeed a difference between those tools.

I don't think the purpose of a noise generator is to plug it directly into a recorder and call it a day though (which is what I glean from your rubber stamp analogy).

Please note, I'm in no way trying to diminish the raw experience of say, dumpster diving an old TV set and exploiting that and other broken electronics in order to craft your work. I wouldn't trade that for anything. However, when it comes time to drag out some gear for a live set, unless I want physical presence or theatrics I'd rather have a compact purpose built object ~that is not a computer~ to fill my needs. If the existence of such a tool is a pustule on the face of this craft because "it's a back door for lazy assholes", you have my condolences. People who live it still bring it, whereas people who do not do not. Regardless of tool used.

But again, no experience with the subject line. I'm just defending purpose built noise generators in general.

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 pm

crochambeau wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:03 pm
existence of such a tool is a pustule on the face of this craft because "it's a back door for lazy assholes"
Nope. The difference is not in terms of "good" vs "bad", but rather in how it feels to use a particular tool.

You can, of course, use rubber stamps, coloring books and jigsaw puzzles creatively too. Like, make dick pics with a cute kitten stamp.
However, if you use a pencil instead you can make dick pics made of kittens and dick pics made of pentagrams. And you won't have to pay extra for a pentagram rubber stamp! And what if you want to make dick pics made of swastikas? Nobody sells swastika stamps, so a stamper would be stuck with swastika pics made of cute kittens, which is kinda cool, but not the same thing.

Seriously though...
Merzbow uses a WMD Geiger Counter, I wouldn't even if somebody gave me one. Because I don't find it interesting to do noise with a purpose-made noising device designed by someone else. In a sense, this is like making somebody else's noise instead of your own.
At the same time I'm pretty sure Masami Akita is a way better noise producer than yours truly :)

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:10 am

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 am

Since a large part of Noise historically came from the Mail Art network the rubber stamps are clearly the superior tool in this case. + those paints and pre-made canvases are some low grade hobbyist stuff :D

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:45 am

melkobukva wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 pm
I don't find it interesting to do noise with a purpose-made noising device designed by someone else. In a sense, this is like making somebody else's noise instead of your own.
I can dig it. I'd hope that a halfway decent designer would be able to present a device that offered enough range to not pigeonhole the end user into a specific sound.

I agree though, in that my preferred modus operandi is to fabricate my work from the barest possible elements. I also completely understand that most people do not want to dive into the PN junction level of establishing their voice, which is something I personally enjoy...

..which is why I develop circuits for audio use for a living (not just noise/experimental, but they have to keep up/dish out on that application as a baseline design criteria).

jliat

Post by jliat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am

crochambeau wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:45 am

I can dig it. I'd hope that a halfway decent designer would be able to present a device that offered enough range to not pigeonhole the end user into a specific sound.

Possibly true, though i'm very aware watching old movies of certain synth sounds that date, the DX of the 80s, Wavestaion 90s... though perhaps this is no longer true. And obviously when effects like phasing and wah first appeared they were everywhere..!

And the moog filter and glide... 70s... maybe we no longer have distictive sounds of the times... pity. perhaps... Mark Fisher goes on about that...

oh P.S. I emailed the guys re X1L3 - over a day ago - no reply?