Contact Mic & Guitar question

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

iPerson

Contact Mic & Guitar question

Post by iPerson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:53 am

Hey how do I get a contact mic on the same (distorted) signal path as my guitar and effects pedal(s)*? I’m trying to do guitar-generated harsh noise, kinda like Masayuki Takayanagi's guitar tone on ‘Mass Projection’, or what Merzbow does with that homemade ‘noise banjo’ thing… I’ve tried using a Y-Adapter I got from Guitar Center and I also tried plugging the contact mic into a different Input on my amp, and so far all I’ve gotten is 2 separate sounds (1.) Contact Mic & 2.) Guitar & Effects) coming at me simultaneously). Is what I’m asking for possible?....

* I’ve even been experimenting with using a small contact mic, wrapped in duct tape or tin foil, as a guitar pick
Attachments
6tRqZZJ.jpg
6tRqZZJ.jpg (128.27 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Last edited by iPerson on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

¼ dead

Re: Contact Mic & Guitar question

Post by ¼ dead » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:06 am

The Y-adapter ought to work, but if it doesn't, a resistance mixer should do. Easy to build, cheap to buy. Plug your guitar into one input and mic into another. Both go from he output into your pedal chain.

If you're trying to switch between the two sources individually, you need an A/B or A/B/Y switch (also cheap/easy to build).

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:22 am

Give us a diagram of your signal path. It sounds like you've got an impedance mismatch happening.

1/4 Dead is on the right track with his advice with the mixer. Remember you are dealing with completely different loading issues between a piezo and a magnetic guitar pickup. An active buffer will make a world of difference when using a piezo under ordinary guitar oriented circumstances.
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

killing raven sun

Post by killing raven sun » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 am

in other words, a Y cable between guitar and contact mic wont work because the guitar pickups are fighting with the contact mic for signal space

a for instance fix would be to get a cheap mixer and run guitar and contact mic into different channels then use the effects send and return to balance the signal going to your pedal chain

Misomusist

Post by Misomusist » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 am

Failing a mixer a couple of dirt pedals should work, one for the mic, one for the gutar, then use the Y cable on the output of the pedals. The pedals are acting as buffers for your signal, bringing both to a similar level.
I think trying to quantify music is one of the biggest wastes of time in the world, like discussing your favourite colour or deity or pizza topping. People should realise that and get on with their life.