My gear/advice wanted

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

drbenway

My gear/advice wanted

Post by drbenway » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:15 pm

I have been listening to harder electronics like puce mary, arca, vessel, haxan cloack, death grips, jpegmafia, clipping., .....

I own a Teenage Engineering OP1, and a bunch of guitar pedals (most notable for noise making is Earthquaker Palisades and Dwarfcraft Super Soda Meiser. Maybe even the Zoom 100BT/Zoom CDR). I also have some toys like the littleBits Korg synth, also the Korg Dsn12 on Nintendo 3ds.

Is it impossible to make "noise" electronica with these ? They all lean more towards house music, very easy to make a 4/4 type thing, do I completely have the wrong equipment or am I missing something. I also record into garageband but thats about it, is there more I can be doing doing on the Daw side of things to get me closer?

Any help is vastly appreciated! Thanks.

jliat

Re: My gear/advice wanted

Post by jliat » Tue May 01, 2018 5:02 am

(IMO) Firstly your list of 'artists' / bands seems very varied, from rap to quite melodic. And “noise” electronica is not that clear. But the more 'musical' electronica covers a wide range, again with specific sounds and structure. And you could certainly make noisy electronica with an OP and the rest.. As for noise in itself then you have more than enough gear. Its a matter of improvising with it to see what you get. Some basic methods of getting noise, overdriving devices, creating feedback loops. The 'creative' part of noise making is just the use and abuse of things... not analytically working towards some sound... concept....

So if anything you have too much gear! I remember someone making a work by recording empty shell cases being rattled in a bucket, keeping the levels well into the red..

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue May 01, 2018 5:10 am

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Tue May 01, 2018 6:21 am

wtf he ran the honda 2 stroke exhaust outside???
FOUL!!!
way too "nice" IMO
we trapped 30+ people in a tiny concrete room in old factory
with 4 motorcycles/4 synthesizers
engineered/mastered "quadraphonic" version
Jilat is completely correct
creative resourcefulness supersedes
rather than typical cuntsumerism traps
of always needing something else for buying
way to chaotic
focus your intent
he needs conceptual clairvoyance
impossible???
try removing your creative limiter...
where's Nurse Ratchet???!!!

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue May 01, 2018 6:40 am

The difference between "house" and "heavy industrial" or "noise electronica" is not in the gear, it is the way in which the gear is used.

As a general starting tip, I would slow your BPM down and bring your levels up. Maybe work painfully slow and establish textures you like, then bring the tempo up to a point you want?

As a tip regarding your journey with sound design, it is often beneficial to step outside your comfort zone in order to learn.

Honestly, eliminating a fixed tempo and just dealing with raw sound for a bit can do wonders for your perception of the more structured works.

melkobukva

Post by melkobukva » Tue May 01, 2018 6:47 am

You have everything you need, maybe even too much.

Really learn the stuff you own, and it will get you there.

DON'T buy any more gear until you record at least 10 albums. It will only distract you.

Seriously.

jliat

Post by jliat » Tue May 01, 2018 6:49 am

crochambeau wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:40 am

Honestly, eliminating a fixed tempo and just dealing with raw sound for a bit can do wonders for your perception of the more structured works.
Which reminds me - my first encounter with Stockhausen's work, after immersing myself for a few days i walked past the metalwork shop at college and heard "music"!!!

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 am

crochambeau wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:40 am
The difference between "house" and "heavy industrial" or "noise electronica" is not in the gear, it is the way in which the gear is used.

As a general starting tip, I would slow your BPM down and bring your levels up. Maybe work painfully slow and establish textures you like, then bring the tempo up to a point you want?

As a tip regarding your journey with sound design, it is often beneficial to step outside your comfort zone in order to learn.

Agree with him
crank it down for 40-60bpm
(oh wait that's writing doom:P)
experiment
totally unchain yourself completely from the computer sequencer clock
think more of old methods recording with tape
use your internal clock
feel it
become the sound

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 am

I've never used an OP, so I dunno its capabilities. Run some drum sounds out of it through a distortion, on to cassette, then sample it back in. Death Grips just compresses the shit out of everything. Crochambeau said it best, really, your equipment can make any music if you use it to make that music.

Fletcher

Post by Fletcher » Tue May 01, 2018 7:41 am

Hah, agree with the low tempo stuff. Try and make less before making more.

These guys from russia make techno at 80bpm and it slays

https://soundcloud.com/somatik-sounds
www.snarerush.co.uk
An electronic music zine in occasional print format

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 am

old trick so they can manually program double time quad time based off the lower BPM
way more room for working with when composing
better "note resolution"
example: 60 becomes 120 becomes 240 with how you program notes
allows for way more intricate programming
at lower bpm
especially for "Techno"
yet you get that

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Tue May 01, 2018 8:24 am

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 am
old trick so they can manually program double time quad time based off the lower BPM
way more room for working with when composing
better "note resolution"
Oh shit, I keep forgetting there are drum machines that don't let you turn quantization off (which is stupid of me, because I own a few). Yeah, sometimes off kilter stuff might demand thinking outside the box.

In my opinion (take it with a grain of salt) the greatest mistake with a drum machine is trying to protect the nuance of the sound it produces. This is not feeding nuts to squirrels in the park, it is punching holes in buildings and walls. Avoid falling into the mindset that each sound needs an equal space or weight carved for it.

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Tue May 01, 2018 8:48 am

honestly didn't really even start actually comprehending programming drums
even though did it for decades
until after years of constantly playing/practicing drums
then learned limiting myself for how eye would manually play
what was actually possible
if it even could be played with 2 arms 2 legs
or if it required being played by a talented cephalopod
plus go in and manually edit velocity for hits
always figured playing real drum kit was "impossible" for me personally
had played sloppy post punk joy division drums on some german vinyl years ago
half assed out of total necessity completing record
then after getting burned by yet another flaky drummer 5 years ago
forced myself learning/practicing every day
NSBM blast beat double bass is still brutal on me
Doom is so much fun
even learned appreciating playing free jazz
the worst thing is having to admit Nandor & Weasel were right way back when :P
anyways
challenge yourself
do something that seems "impossible"
don't expect "instant gratification"

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 am

always avoided teenage engineering OP1
something about it is completely turns me off
it's the plastic looking apple "interace"
not into "new gear" tiny interaces cramped esthetiques
yet looked at the specs today
and obviously you should be able making that work
especially with pedals
the big question is how the edit navigation & real time controls

the all-in-onewonder
OP-1 is the all-in-one portable synthesizer, sampler and controller. with additional features like a built-in FM radio and an assignable G-force sensor for motion controlled effects, there is quite nothing like it.
its modular architecture enables endless sound possibilities without making the workflow complicated or distracting.
the compact design and real physical interface makes it inspiring to create music, no matter who you are or how experienced you are.
synthesizerand controller
with ten synthesizer engines, eight high quality effects and multiple routable LFO’s, you'll never hit the wall when it comes to creativity or finding the right sound for the job. add the unique built-in sequencers on top of that and you'll understand why so many highly regarded producers and artists hold this little machine so dear.
in controller mode, OP-1 turns in to a full blown MIDI controller, with access to transport (play/stop, rec, rewind and forward), a two octave keyboard with four endless encoders as well as a sound module that can be controlled from virtually any external software.

4-tracktape feature
record anything you create with the 4-track tape feature. match the tape speed to the sequencer tempo for some really nice overdubbing. change tapespeed while recording, or record backwards in realtime. switch to the 4 channel mixer and add some punch with the built in EQ and compressor.
finally, create a live mix in album mode on a virtual vinyl.works withyour other stuff
use OP-1 to synchronize your pocket operators or connect it to any other gear using MIDI over USB. when you connect OP-1 to a computer using the included USB cable, the OP-1 shows up as a MIDI controller or a storage device. if storage device is selected, just drag and drop audio files between your computer and the OP-1. all 4 tape tracks are available as well as the drum and synthesizer samples. everything ready for you to tweak or add to your DAW. no additional software or drivers required. just plug and play.

it's really conceptualizing outside the box
then making it do what you want
rather than falling it trap of what's fast/easy with it
https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/op-1

is the 4-tracktape feature quantized/locked with midi sequencer?

s.p.i.n.

Post by s.p.i.n. » Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 am

WhiteWarlock wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 am
something about it is completely turns me off
the price