Reliable Soldered Connections

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

MKULTRA

Reliable Soldered Connections

Post by MKULTRA » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:55 am

This excerpt is taken from the NASA Technical Standard : Soldered Electrical Connections

https://nepp.nasa.gov/docuploads/06AA01 ... 8739.3.pdf

1. Reliable soldered connections result from proper design; control of tools, materials, processes, and work environments; use of properly trained and skilled personnel; and careful workmanship.

2. The following requirements and design objectives should be used to ensure the reliable soldered connections required by NASA:

a. Stress relief should be inherent in the design to avoid detrimental thermal and mechanical stresses on the solder connections.

b. Where stress relief is not used, a plated-through hole (PTH) is mandatory.

c. Materials selection should provide minimal thermal expansion coefficient mismatch
at the constraint points of the parts mounting configuration.

d. Parts mounting design requirements shall allow full visual or nondestructive inspection of all soldered connections
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

xdugef

Re: Reliable Soldered Connections

Post by xdugef » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:12 am

You to tell me twisting the wires and holding it in place with hot glue is not sufficient??

fire

Post by fire » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 pm

rich people and their fancy solder and hot glue :roll:

TWISTED 4 LYFE
broadcasting from the post-internet wasteland

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 am

So guys where am I going wrong?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:10 pm

jliat wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 am
So guys where am I going wrong?

We'd have to see your technique to answer that question. I wouldn't want to use that for SMD (or at all, if I'm being honest) but people have done great things with worse.

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am

fire wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:46 am
go practice your soldering
fire wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:34 am
MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:29 am
I don't need to practice my soldering. I teach soldering with soul crushing ruthlessness.
well arent you special, teaching something that takes five minutes to learn

perfection is a practice of the individual, you are redundant what with the interwebs and all
MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:42 am
Sure you can learn it in 5 minutes. But every joint you solder will be a fail. Flawless joints, repeated ad nauseum, is the path to perfection.

Practice doesn't make perfect.
Perfect practice makes perfect.

fire wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:46 am
go practice your soldering
fire wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:34 am
MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:29 am
I don't need to practice my soldering. I teach soldering with soul crushing ruthlessness.
well arent you special, teaching something that takes five minutes to learn

perfection is a practice of the individual, you are redundant what with the interwebs and all
MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:42 am
Sure you can learn it in 5 minutes. But every joint you solder will be a fail. Flawless joints, repeated ad nauseum, is the path to perfection.

Practice doesn't make perfect.
Perfect practice makes perfect.
I had an instructor that was an ex Air Force, FAA and NASA high reliability soldering teacher.

After one particularly brutal critique of a classes soldering exercise that resulted in not a single acceptable solder joint we were told to go take a break. When we came back the following was written on the chalk board.......

" You keep making mistakes because you are focusing on the solder joint and not what you are doing."

We were told to do nothing but read that statement over and over and over. Contemplate it and read it over and over and over again. He asked if we understood what he had told us to do. We all responded yes. He walked out of the lab and returned 30 minutes later. He walked into the room and erased the board. We were told to repeat the statement.
We did. He smiled and said " let us begin."

It was precisely what we all needed to understand and conceptualize. It had to become a ritual like the tea ceremony.

"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:49 am

We had a soldering project in shop class.. we had to make these coin tray with a handle and each corner connection had a different type of solder, braise, spot weld or rivet.. I forget all the methods used.. I think there were two others.. I still have the thing. Anyway I did all the joints correctly but had made the tray a half inch narrower than specified and one of my redneck classmates tried to rat me out to the teacher after he approved by welds and shit and his response to them was "well at least he made the joints correctly". :lol:

fire

Post by fire » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 am

MKULTRA wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am
" You keep making mistakes because you are focusing on the solder joint and not what you are doing."
perfection requires no attention to detail for at that moment of focus you err
broadcasting from the post-internet wasteland