sound collage with tapes

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

mylenology

sound collage with tapes

Post by mylenology » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm trying to find a nice method to make tapes collage. Basically, i want to emulate the classic manual method of film editing. Cutting tapes in parts, and then put them all together in a different order.
I tried with cassette tapes, scissors and scotch tape, but it was a complete hell.

MKULTRA

Re: sound collage with tapes

Post by MKULTRA » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 am

A splice block, a sharp razor blade and proper splicing tape.
Practice, practice, practice making splices. Then practice some more.
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

jliat

Post by jliat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:40 am

You will find on YouTube videos of this and ebay where you can get the right stuff. :roll:

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:09 pm

You want to degauss any metal used for the cut for pop free splices as well.

FireAlarmPoet

Post by FireAlarmPoet » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:28 pm

crochambeau wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:09 pm
You want to degauss any metal used for the cut for pop free splices as well.
:!: Never even considered that, thanks!

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 pm

mylenology wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm
I'm trying to find a nice method to make tapes collage. Basically, i want to emulate the classic manual method of film editing. Cutting tapes in parts, and then put them all together in a different order.
I tried with cassette tapes, scissors and scotch tape, but it was a complete hell.
cut and paste on a computer works a treat!

MKULTRA

Post by MKULTRA » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:36 am

Curtis, as always, with the sage advice.

Wash your hands thoroughly before you begin splicing. Keep your fingers free of sweat and oil by wiping them with 91% isopropyl alcohol periodically. Do not use Rubbing Alcohol as it contains lanolin which can present problems.

Also, clean the razor blade with 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove trace amounts of lubricants used in the manufacturing process.
"With enough gain you can achieve anything." - C.Rochambeau

jliat

Post by jliat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 am

xdugef wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 pm
mylenology wrote:
Its a trend though elsewhere to revert back to previous technology, such as wet photography. And in art galleries use of old Sony monitors and video tape, through to OHPs and cine. And in music reel to reel decks and analogue... and of course the growth in vinyl. I'm not sure what is behind this retro enthusiasm?

Perhaps something deep in the idea of a better future being an impossibility :?: or not particularly nice? I have a couple of Braun super 8 cameras, and several Polaroid Land Cameras from the 60s... :D

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 am

jliat wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 am
I'm not sure what is behind this retro enthusiasm?
My own dystopian fantasies aside, I think the root cause is tactile understanding. You can hold a relic piece of equipment and know that if push came to shove, a human with finger tools can still work or repair the innards and handle the media. A catastrophic failure does not remove the material, it simply delays the use and application of the material.

Latched digital words stored by the millions on a cryptic substrate are hardly as reassuring.

jliat

Post by jliat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 am

crochambeau wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 am
jliat wrote:
I'm not sure what is behind this retro enthusiasm?
My own dystopian fantasies aside, I think the root cause is tactile understanding. You can hold a relic piece of equipment and know that if push came to shove, a human with finger tools can still work or repair the innards and handle the media. A catastrophic failure does not remove the material, it simply delays the use and application of the material.

Latched digital words stored by the millions on a cryptic substrate are hardly as reassuring.
Sure, one could once take things apart and figure out how they worked, maybe, and then try to put the thing back together! My first cars were 2CVs - which you could fix yourself but i always had bits left over on putting them back together... :roll:

fire

Post by fire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 am

i have used a "dj" style mixing setup

i have 8-12 tapes going into various mixing devices, blending the sounds on the fly and switching tapes out as needed, i record on reel to reel but you could cheat and use computer or just cassette

one way i organize is to color code and number cassettes for their position in the mix

this produces a more layered effect with some crossovers blending out the "edits"
broadcasting from the post-internet wasteland

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:13 pm

One quick-and-dirty way of making audio collages that doesn't require tape splicing would be to get a 4-track recorder, and possibly a second tape recorder for bouncing sources from one tape to another. The results aren't nearly as clean or precise as with manual splicing, but it's fun, and it can make for some interesting sounds.

Similar to what fire said, I generally keep my finger on the input volume of my 4-track recorder, which allows for smoother blending between recorded passages, without too much unwanted machine noise.

I generally mix down everything digitally, but the fun thing about mixing down onto whatever you use from a 4-track recording is the ability to pan and fade each individual track and alter the playback speed in real time, and to overdub mixes however many times. Adjusting the playback at random means the mixed down results will be different every time.

It's a fun and lazy way to make cut-ups.

xdugef

Post by xdugef » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm

jliat wrote:
xdugef wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 pm
mylenology wrote:
Its a trend though elsewhere to revert back to previous technology
I'm just riffing on the OP's use of the word emulate.. if you want to emulate it then cut and paste on computer is best way to emulate it.. somebody should make a VR tape editor simulator like drunk surgeon... otherwise you just do it as they have tried and it's tedious and prone to error although the later is possibly being why it is of aesthetic interest.

As far as a compositional tool it's not as WYSIWYG as image collage right? Supposedly back when splicing video tape was a thing and you have to cut on the sync pulse there was a magnetic dye you could use to see why there synch pulse was on the tape otherwise for audio I would scrub the tape back and forth until I found where I wanted to cut, mark it and then cut and if you fuck up there is no undo.

Although you can do fun things like just randomly make splices or cut a bunch of pieces the same length or make loops but as soon as you want to do anything with precision you discover why nobody uses tape for editing any more... recording or mastering yes but literal cutting of tape forget it.

Either embrace that it is complete hell or forget it.