Need help with reverse engineering 2 sounds

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

melkobukva

Re: Need help with reverse engineering 2 sounds

Post by melkobukva » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:37 pm

DiMMaX wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:29 pm
I mean, I don't see a way to 'time-stretch' in a reel-to-reel situation.
You slow down the tape :)
DiMMaX wrote:
The technique with the phones-out is purely for feedback, right?
In this case it was to achieve an effect similar to routing pink noise into "total". Because pink noise generator was already used up to make S&H.
DiMMaX wrote:
I find it interesting you took the signal after the ESP-amp instead of taking it after the ESP-filter. I always intend to take the signal after the filter so I can shape the sound even more.
You do the right thing, and I was just being lazy and didn't use the filters because what I heard already seemed good enough.
DiMMaX wrote:
- I see you used the pink noise as input for the sample/hold. But I also see osc1 is set to noise and fully open in the mixer. And even more, osc2 is set to ring-modulation with the pitch 2 semi-tones up. How is this related to the end-result?
- The sample and hold clock is driven by the pulse-wave which is on it's turn modulated by the mod-generator. The result of that is then modulating the HP filter. Right? Can you elaborate please?
I wanted to hear what the patch would sound like at different HP filter values and keep my hands free at the same time, so I automated it with a really slow S&H. You can remove S&H completely and tweak the HP filter by hand instead. As for the oscillators, I suggest you reproduce the patch on your unit, then tweak both, change the pitch on Osc. 2, change the waveform on Osc. 1, turn off the ring mod, etc. You will hear immediately what does what, and this is going to be way more comprehensive than anything I could possibly write up. Especially taking into account that the best explanation I came up with so far is as follows: "Osc. 1 noise adds noisiness, Osc. 2 ring mod adds ringiness".
DiMMaX wrote:
If you can add something useful to the explanation about this patch, please don't hold back. The more info you're willing to share, the happier I am :)

Like I said and I can't stretch it enough: I really, really appreciate your effort! Thanks a lot for opening my eyes and enriching my knowledge.
Thank you for all the kind words, but please don't overestimate my competence. I'm a total hack and have no idea what I'm doing at least half of the time :D

DiMMaX

Post by DiMMaX » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:31 pm

melkobukva wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:37 pm
You slow down the tape :)
Fair enough :)
But that still is undoable in a 'live' situation...
melkobukva wrote:
... I suggest you reproduce the patch on your unit, you will hear immediately what does what, and this is going to be way more comprehensive than anything I could possibly write up. Especially taking into account that the best explanation I came up with so far is as follows: "Osc. 1 noise adds noisiness, Osc. 2 ring mod adds ringiness".
Hahaha :) ok then :)
You're absolutely right, hands-on is always better.
I'm going to do this patch as soon as I can anyway, because it's the sound I was looking for. And then I'll fiddle around with it to deconstruct it.
melkobukva wrote:
Thank you for all the kind words, but please don't overestimate my competence. I'm a total hack and have no idea what I'm doing at least half of the time :D
Hahah :) Well, if that 'half-of-the-time' knowledge is helping me forward, imagine how much, or rather how little, I know what I'm doing :lol:

You've helped a lot, thanks for that! The MS20 part of the story got confirmed and I now know what the source of these sounds are and that was exactly what I was looking for in first place.

Well, that's 50% of the initial post, the hardest part I think :)
Even though the other half is much easier I think: what about used FX...

So if anyone knows what FX is used on the first sound, please share :)

I think I hear delay and reverb, but I might be mistaking. The truth is that my hearing is not so much trained yet to distinguish everything. There's no short-cut in training this. So yeah, all this is my learning process...

It might just be a delay with a lot of feedback and thus emulating reverb. Or it's something totally different such as a delay with no feedback and the reverb over it.

Someone has any ideas? What about the delay, what setting could it be? What could the timing be it's set on, short? long?
Anyway, I'm all ears!

Thanks for contributing to all of this!

WhiteWarlock

Post by WhiteWarlock » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:49 am

contemplate this method http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=184