Noise with pedals + mixer ?

Talk about music gear for noise music

Moderator: xome

mylenology

Noise with pedals + mixer ?

Post by mylenology » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:48 am

I've just got some pedals and a behringer 802 mixer, i would like to know exactly how to make noise without any other instrument, just with my pedals and 802. How can i make that ? Somebody told me about a kind of loop system, connecting the first pedal in my mixer, and loop it with the last one.
I don't have the jack plugs yet, so i can't actually see if it works.

¼ dead

Re: Noise with pedals + mixer ?

Post by ¼ dead » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Google "no input" + "mixer". See where that gets you.
I bet throwing it all in a trash compactor would be plenty noisy, too. :)

mylenology

Post by mylenology » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:19 pm

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... .51-am.jpg

I presume i just have to reproduce that with my pedal chain ?

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Keep your output volume low.
2g3rjapo.jpg
2g3rjapo.jpg (167.67 KiB) Viewed 4408 times

mylenology

Post by mylenology » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Ok i see. Thanks !

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 am

Bipolar Fucking Joe wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 pm
Keep your output volume low.

2g3rjapo.jpg
In addition to this, you can send a stereo output from the two jacks labeled "CTRL ROOM OUT", feed that through either 1) a stereo chain that can return to channel 3/4 or 5/6, or 2) two additional monophonic loops that would benefit from returning to a monophonic channel so that the PAN control interpolates those loops within one another; the "PHONES/CTRL ROOM" volume control above the word MAIN at lower right is the big player here.

Lauprellim

Post by Lauprellim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

A lot of folks make noise this way, but sometimes it blows out the mixer...the circuits are not always designed to handle such high signal levels. Perhaps start your experiments with an old beat up mixer.

Bipolar Fucking Joe

Post by Bipolar Fucking Joe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm almost completely convinced that's a myth. I do it all the time. Everyone I know personally does it all the time. People I know tangentially do it all the time. None of us have ever blown a mixer. I think unless it's a mixer made in the 70's or earlier, you'll be fine.

¼ dead

Post by ¼ dead » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:49 am

Ditto.

I think the only major risk is blowing out your monitor speakers, headphones (and eardrums by extension), etc. I think the stuff about frying modern "VLZ-style" and Eurorack mixers is just misinformation that can largely be attributed to stories about people blowing out their PA/monitor systems.

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 am

To my knowledge I have killed exactly two things due to line level signal amplitude (please note, I use oscillators that are capable of laughably high output levels), one of which is a mixer.

I've taken out one channel in an IRP Voicematic with a signal spike. My money is on having popped a FET in the ducking circuitry since the opamps are rail to rail rated. I have not bothered to trace this theory yet.. it was built in 1982, FWIW.

The other device was a Crash Sync my uncle made for me, and as I recall that was just due to a low volt rated timer chip, which was an easy R&R due to a socket.

mylenology

Post by mylenology » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:31 pm

So, it finally worked perfectly.
I was just wondering, if i could make two feedback loops parrallely, so i can generate my noise with one, without interfere with the other. I mean, since i have only one fx send with the 802, where should i plug the last output ?

crochambeau

Post by crochambeau » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 pm

mylenology wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:31 pm
So, it finally worked perfectly.
I was just wondering, if i could make two feedback loops parrallely, so i can generate my noise with one, without interfere with the other. I mean, since i have only one fx send with the 802, where should i plug the last output ?
Expect everything to affect everything. Keeping multiple feedback loops from interacting with one another will require a platform a little more involved than a Xeynx 802. Here's a visual guide as to what is possible with your device. Only the red portion is a dedicated bus channel, everything else exists in a shared arena (albeit with separate controlled outputs and inputs (inputs not depicted on my image, they're pretty much everything not color coded).
Xenyx802.jpg
Xenyx802.jpg (78.48 KiB) Viewed 2318 times